FORUMS: list search recent posts

For you subscribers, are you using Office 365?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
For you subscribers, are you using Office 365?
on Nov 29, 2015 at 6:47:22 pm

We have been using the older Office 2011 for a while now and it works but wondering if any of you Mac users have moved to Office 365 subscription model and if you like the updates. Assuming since you subscribe to Adobe that you might have moved right into the Office 365 suite...it runs $9.95/month for 5 users with all Office apps including Outlook.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: For you subscribers, are you using Office 365?
on Nov 30, 2015 at 8:56:55 pm

Pages and Numbers are more than fulfilling for my work. Can open and save to Word and Excel formats.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 1, 2015 at 12:00:19 am

[Morten Ranmar] "Pages and Numbers are more than fulfilling for my work. Can open and save to Word and Excel formats."

Office 2011 works just fine for me and so does Google Docs. And funny how Microsoft still offers a choice of perpetual licenses... wonder why?

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 1, 2015 at 3:29:31 am

Might do it for current gig as we are need a collaborative document environment and Google is off the table.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 1, 2015 at 3:51:45 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Might do it for current gig as we are need a collaborative document environment and Google is off the table."

Just out of curiosity, is Google off the table because of privacy/confidentiality concerns or is it something else?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 1, 2015 at 6:29:10 am

[David Lawrence] "Just out of curiosity, is Google off the table because of privacy/confidentiality concerns or is it something else?"

I think so but I'm not 100% sure. Another person on the team just voiced their displeasure when I brought up Google Docs so I just left it at that.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Dec 5, 2015 at 1:38:39 am

[David Lawrence] "And funny how Microsoft still offers a choice of perpetual licenses... wonder why?"

Because they can afford to take their time in forcing everyone onto it eventually.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Dec 5, 2015 at 5:57:31 am

I haven't seen anything compelling to make the move to Office subscription -- and can't imagine that Word Processing technology has stunning new options -- if it does - and that's the only choice, I'd consider it, but 2011 is working fine now...and Pages is actually a more enjoyable experience

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 5, 2015 at 6:26:09 am

[Gary Huff] "Because they can afford to take their time in forcing everyone onto it eventually."

Or maybe because they know they'll completely lose their market to the free competition.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 9, 2015 at 8:21:27 pm

[David Lawrence] "[Gary Huff] "Because they can afford to take their time in forcing everyone onto it eventually."

Or maybe because they know they'll completely lose their market to the free competition."

I think it's more that they realize that O365 isn't a one size fits all solution... or so I've heard. :-) It might not be readily apparent, but O365 isn't just a collection of business productivity applications, it's a full fledged platform... one that ends up being a lot less expensive than "free" offerings, once you add in the cost of administration, deployment and maintenance. Believe it or not, 0365 is really poplar with IT professionals, just for those reasons... or so I've been told. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 5, 2015 at 9:27:19 pm

We have subscribed to Office 365.

I don't know whether you intended it, but your question exposes the somewhat disingenuous nature of a lot of opposition to Adobe's CC. It isn't a moral issue, it's a matter of price.

The reason we subscribed to Office 365 is simple: the price was right, especially bec. it applies to multiple computers. And we know that if the price ever is NOT right, we can move to alternatives that, right now, we don't like quite as much.

Back to Adobe CC.

I think that the reason many people don't like the subscription is NOT the subscription itself; it's the price. For a shop that works with many CC titles daily, the price per day-of-use is trivial. But for a lot of smaller shops, which can spend whole weeks shooting and not touching Adobe, the price per day-of-use can become astronomical.

Keeping software current and safe costs money, and I don't mind paying for that -- though I do object to paying as much as Adobe is asking. I feel uncomfortable with it, but I'll live with it. Which reminds me of Churchill and Lady Astor. (If you haven't heard of it, Google "Churchill Lady Astor haggling")

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 2, 2016 at 7:16:24 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Jan 2, 2016 at 7:19:12 pm

It's not just the price. It's the pay or no play aspect. I can open years old projects in other editors without paying a dime. When you are doing Pro Bono work or wrapping up projects with dozens of unedited tapes on the shelf that bring in no income, the rental model does not work, period. If I could freeze it at a point and continue to use it in that state, it would be very different, but I think entrapment is the goal here.

My career is at a point where I have state of the art gear for my shot footage, but the software is getting harder to settle on . So for now, FCPX and Media 100 (still current with Yosemite, 4k and Red) and a good look at Resolve as I have Blackmagic's Teranex and Ultrastudio. But no software that expires, thanks.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.2, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15": 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:13:57 pm

I just don't think this is true. It absolutely is about the price. If CC was only $10 a month, and that price was locked in for 10 years, I doubt we would have anyone complaining. Or at least far fewer would be. I can quasi-prove this with my own situation. As an employee at my college, I get the Creative Cloud for $10 a year, or about $0.85 per month. Not one of my co-workers has refused this deal "on principle".

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]