FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CC 2015 - Quick observation

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pettit
AE CC 2015 - Quick observation
on Nov 26, 2015 at 12:30:27 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Nov 26, 2015 at 12:49:26 am

Since I'm late to a previous discussion, I'll start a new post for what it's worth.

From the previous post, comment from Walter:

[Walter Soyka] "but honestly, it does work, the new preview system is a fantastic improvement over the previous one,"

When I was at NAB in April Adobe was pushing the idea that you can "make changes while playing back" concept, and for the life of me I didn't understand why that matters. In my workflow, I make a change, and then I watch it back to see if it works, as quickly as I can render it. A - then - B.

But what I didn't realize at the time is that the real advantage to the new preview structure is that it allows you to playback anything it can in real time, WHILE its rendering the rest of the selection (until the render is complete or until the playback catches up to the render, then it stutters.

What this means is that if you are working on certain types of animation that your particular machine can keep up with in close to real-time fashion, you are able to see immediate playback BEFORE the workspace area is actually rendered to RAM. Feels like progressive downloaded videos in a way - if your machine can keep up it's realtime, if not if makes you wait while it renders. Huge improvement to workflow for certain kinds of AE work. Anything that involves 2D animation on a fast machine and the difference in performance is stunning. I recently had a 10 minute diagramatic animation to complete, in HD 1080, with a fast turnaround. The new preview system was a real blessing. To the AE team, bravo.

One annoyance is that when the render begins to loose ground to the playback, if you are working with audio, the audio begins to pop and snap at you in a way that will drive you crazy, really annoying (although to be expected -its still rendering). But the cool thing is now that the UI and the render engine are De-coupled, you can click the audio button to turn audio off without stopping the render, or even the playback. That effectively returns the preview function to what it was before: wait until its complete and then watch it again in real-time.

I have all kinds of complaints with CC2015, starting with the fact that you STILL cant export the composition from AE directly without audio failure, you have to use AME. But I understand that will be fixed soon and is part of the process of overhaul (hopefully at the same time I can expect true 4K export options and h-265 features!). Also, more importantly I agree with Walter, I'm comfortable with it being a bumpy ride while they restructure

So I'll leave my complaints on the shelf for the moment. The new preview and the division between UI and render appear to me to on track as Walter says.

BTW, I am still REALLY pissed off that the only way I'm in a position to even comment on these issues is by renting their software . I won't just subscribe forever to see where this is going. But then everyone's heard that from me before...

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: AE CC 2015 - Quick observation
on Nov 26, 2015 at 1:58:54 am

Glad to see improvements to the current product line but don't want to continue to pay rent. I thought about Resolve for editing, the constant need to render effects is a huge drawback. I mean Final Cut Pro, hell, even Motion can playback realtime without the need to render. I do like Resolve other than that. Still looking to replace Photoshop next year.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 26, 2015 at 6:00:14 am

[Chris Pettit] " I can expect true 4K export options"

What is a true 4K export option that is missing right now?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 26, 2015 at 3:52:29 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "What is a true 4K export option that is missing right now?"

well, here are the AME h.264 presets for example. I can enter settings manually of course, but I usually count on presets as a starting point for new formats. And of course I would prefer render out to H.265, but that's not available:

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 26, 2015 at 5:14:48 pm

[Chris Pettit] " I can enter settings manually of course, but I usually count on presets as a starting point for new formats."

There is 4K h264 preset for youtube. Also you can save your presets and they show up in the top of the preset list. You're only limited on what the selected format/codec can do.

[Chris Pettit] "H.265, but that's not available"

Coming up in the next update.

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Nov 30, 2015 at 11:01:58 pm

Specifically on the 4k Presets question. We have tons of 4k formats like ProRes, GoPro, Cineform, JPEG 2000, h264 among others. Also coming out VERY VERY soon is our new 2015 update which adds h.265, OpenEXR (AME and PPRo, already there in AE) and DnxHR.

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Director of Engineering, Professional Audio and Video
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 30, 2015 at 11:05:50 pm

[David McGavran] "Specifically on the 4k Presets question. We have tons of 4k formats like ProRes, GoPro, Cineform, JPEG 2000, h264 among others. Also coming out VERY VERY soon is our new 2015 update which adds h.265, OpenEXR (AME and PPRo, already there in AE) and DnxHR."

Very good news David. Very.

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Dec 1, 2015 at 5:42:09 am

Go get them updates.... h.265 is now shipping!

David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Director of Engineering, Professional Audio and Video

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 1, 2015 at 7:58:22 pm

[David McGavran] "Go get them updates.... h.265 is now shipping!"

Just took the h-265 for a test spin, worked perfectly and encoded fast from a Premiere project file. More to test, but so far so good.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Nov 26, 2015 at 2:38:35 pm

[Chris Pettit] "I am still REALLY pissed off that the only way I'm in a position to even comment on these issues is by renting their software"

Well, put me down as one person that is glad you are pissed off because I value what you have to say about all this.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 29, 2015 at 4:40:44 pm

[Chris Pettit] "BTW, I am still REALLY pissed off that the only way I'm in a position to even comment on these issues is by renting their software ."

Those people commenting on the viability or capability of CC software (or any product) who refuse to use it are already legion on the web...and their thoughts aren't really helpful to anyone.

How would you even know/care about these issues if you weren't an actual user of the software?

It would appear the 'rent vs buy' controversy is an anachronism in (nearly) 2016, so it's either rent Adobe, or switch...pretty straightforward. As far as Adobe is concerned, customers not switching and complaining is just...'customers not switching'.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Nov 29, 2015 at 11:25:51 pm

[Tim Kolb] "How would you even know/care about these issues if you weren't an actual user of the software?"

You're forgetting that most of those who oppose forced subscriptions ARE actual Adobe users Tim, most of them still using CS6 loyally. Users that have been shut out, forced out, against their best interests from the party by Adobe.

That was Adobe's decision, not thiers.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 30, 2015 at 1:13:25 pm

...I guess what I'm saying is that obviously you'd need to actually have/use whatever software you want to complain about your 1st hand experience with it.

Look, I'm certainly not someone who is on the bandwagon in favor of renting software as I'm not certain I'm comfortable with it either.

But...it's been 2.5 years. It's not changing. Each of us needs to make a decision as to whether these tools are important enough to rent, or if we're going to move on.

Anyone who is still cranky about renting software and still using CS6 isn't doing so out of 'loyalty'to Adobe. Adobe hasn't gotten a dime from a 'loyal' CS6 user/CC protester in 3 years and they have the same clout as 'loyal' CS3 users did when they threatened not to upgrade to CC when it came out.

The problem is that easy alternatives don't really exist and many of us who are no longer 25 years old have a tough time chucking tools we're comfortable with and starting over.

So... CS6 users who refuse to go to CC but won't switch away aren't much of a threat to Adobe ...they can just wait you out. Eventually you'll hit a dead end with CS6 no longer updating and you'll stop being a complaining CC boycotter and become a complaining, paying CC user.

Go out and find some alternatives, start doing tutorials for Adobe users on how the alternatives work...find ways to build workflows with Hitfilm, Fusion or Resolve, Lightworks...or Paintshop Pro...etc.

Stay with Adobe's new rental deal or switch, but those of you who refuse to do either will have tied up 3 years and a lot of energy in this protest and will have primarily hurt yourselves...you guys need to develop some chops on other tools and start building a community around those other tools if the software rental model is truly unworkable for you.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Dec 4, 2015 at 8:37:18 pm

I switched. To FCPX. Only thing I use from CS6 Prod Premium is Photoshop. Bye bye, Adobe. Glad to be on a Mac.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.2, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15": 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 4, 2015 at 8:50:24 pm

I think you will like Motion as well. A great companion app it is, and the price is right. I also just watched a video from Simon Ubsdell on Fusion, he created a mountain scene. Well done Simon!

I am looking forward to when the Studio version comes out. Very fun to work with and responsive. Learning curve was not as bad as I thought it might be. Great color correction tools is a big bonus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]