FORUMS: list search recent posts

From the Adobe AE forum

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRonde
From the Adobe AE forum
on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:25:50 pm

A lot of people in here edit, and don't use After Effects. Some do. For those who don't, there has been great frustration over AE CC 2015.

The new version broke features that previously worked just fine. Compared to other applications that can also do some compositing, it is slower than molasses in January. You need sufficient knowledge to ace the placement exam for IT Guy just to get the software to run in many instances.

In one thread, mention was made of Fusion. One longtime AE user wrote this:

“When Apple bailed on FCP, it took time to get acquainted with Premiere. I think a truth in traditional craftsmanship, that a master is proficient with his tools over years and even decades, is difficult to maintain in the digital world. Your tools are constantly changing, or you're being forced to change them. I currently feel quite comfortable with much of After Effects. That intangible, second nature knowledge of how to navigate a program takes a very long time to develop. Going back to zero with something else, regardless of how great it is will be trying.

“Adobe, listen up: there are a lot of folks out here who would like to stick with AE but if the software continues to lack basic hardware efficiency, we will leave.”

I don't know how things are going in Premiere Pro Land (I cut on Avid), but the troops are definitely NOT happy with one certain Adobe application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: From the Adobe AE forum
on Nov 19, 2015 at 8:37:13 pm

This why I miss the good old days. Film pretty much had a standardized workflow from start to finish. Now we are stuck with a continually evolving set of formats and tools. We have things that work, that don't work, things that used to work got "fixed", I mean broken. So it goes and it is not steady.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 20, 2015 at 2:00:23 am

In Ae CC 2014 and prior, Ae's performance was seriously limited by its underlying design.

Ae CC 2015 is a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in Ae's 20+ year history. This is a huge amount of work, and it's clearly still in progress, but it's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance. This is exactly the work the Ae team needs to be doing in order to address the criticism you cite and keep Ae relevant in the years to come.

My team and I use Ae CC 2015 every day for real-world production work. There have been bugs with the 13.5.x releases, but honestly, it does work, the new preview system is a fantastic improvement over the previous one, and many of the issues you ascribe to CC 2015 here on the forums have nothing to do with the new release.

I join you in recommending that users keep an Ae CC 2014 install. I still use 2014 myself for rendering, because it supports the old multiprocessing system. Project files are 100% compatible between 2014 and 2015, so bouncing back and forth to take advantage of the strengths of each version is practical.

But if you haven't actually tried CC 2015 yet, you should give it a spin. It's not perfect, but it's not the train wreck that you've described here, and I think it's actually the most important release since Ae went 64-bit with CS5.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 20, 2015 at 4:02:29 am

[Walter Soyka] "But if you haven't actually tried CC 2015 yet, you should give it a spin. It's not perfect, but it's not the train wreck that you've described here, and I think it's actually the most important release since Ae went 64-bit with CS5."

Absolutely agree. I have been using AE a lot recently in conjunction with Premiere. Nothing crazy outside of stabilizing footage, animating logos and lower thirds, putting together an entire video solely within it for a presentation (lots of animated text, graphs, and video/music), and a lot of cross-pollinating using Dynamic Link. At no time have I felt it was really getting in my way, no more so than any other software I deal with.

I will tell you something that has been a sticking point recently: no XF AVC 12-bit 444 support in either FCPX or Resolve 12.1. Works like a champ in Premiere/AE though, thankfully.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 20, 2015 at 4:54:41 am

[David Mathis] "This why I miss the good old days. Film pretty much had a standardized workflow from start to finish. Now we are stuck with a continually evolving set of formats and tools. "

Heck, even SD (or anything based around tape) had a much more straight forward workflow than the plethora of frame rates, frame sizes and codecs we have to navigate today.

[Walter Soyka] "Ae CC 2015 is a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in Ae's 20+ year history. This is a huge amount of work, and it's clearly still in progress, but it's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance. This is exactly the work the Ae team needs to be doing in order to address the criticism you cite and keep Ae relevant in the years to come."

Just the riff on this for a second, AE users responded very positively to the suggestion of Adobe spending a lot of time retooling the guts of AE, even if it meant fewer new features during the process, and I don't think that's something Adobe would've risked doing under the old CS model. I mean, how many customers would cry bloody murder if the paid upgrade wasn't even for a full version release (13.x to 13.5)? It's the same catch 22 every software company faces. If they put out a bunch of shinny new features a big part of the user base will be pissed because less sexy, under the hood improvements weren't done. if the software company makes a lot of less sexy, under the hoot improvements then a big part of the user base will be pissed because they aren't getting new shinny new features, just 'bug fixes' that shouldn't happened long ago (for free) anyway.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Nov 20, 2015 at 10:44:28 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Adobe spending a lot of time retooling the guts of AE, even if it meant fewer new features during the process, and I don't think that's something Adobe would've risked doing under the old CS model."

Yes. I'm fine with the guts of AE being adrift for a bit. It's a seriously mature application to tear apart at foundation level. Given I'm paying them full stop to begin with, the fact that I'm now watching them employ an army of builders to do a massive AE kitchen refit makes a form of value sense. The relationship dynamics are different right?

As long as they turn up with the goods in terms of metal or what they see fit, it actually makes some sense out of the subscription: Adobe say they're going to rebuild a wing of the house, well then great, I would really like you to go rebuild that - AE CC 2014 is basically a rock in the meantime anyway.

What I'm doing is continuously, fractionally, employing the engineers (we all gather in the adobe football stadium) - say they are on my permanent hire in a way. No one can say that adobe software teams aren't working like utter maniacs lately - because they are. They're all going to need a Tahiti holiday at some point. Premiere just went through a time dilation worm hole in terms of software advancement over the last three years.

Bottom line - I might really dislike the insecurity of rental, but I have to acknowledge that it has fundamentally altered the character and manner of adobe as a service software provider. They are acting super super differently now. This is not just cashing the rental checks. They are sweating mad blood to make this a valid compact. It's hard not to see that.

Random aside - has anyone tried photoshop fix on portrait photos with an ipad? As a free petit four it is a mouthful for the ages. The face recognition based tools alone are bananas. Adobe don't have to charge on the ipad. It's mean in that it's kind of wrecking pro iOS software as a market. But I've spent quite a few hours noodling with their stuff. Serious engineering people.

I completely hate rental of my tools, But Adobe are pretty relentless lately in serving seriously good plates of food.

http://ogallchoir.prosite.com/
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:11:57 pm

I agree. The Adobe apps are so good it has me (almost) ready to justify an iPad Pro.

Return to posts index

Dar Holmes
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:52:24 pm
Last Edited By Dar Holmes on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:05:39 pm

Thanks for your reply Walter, and appreciate your enthusiasm.

However, in mid-to-late 2016 as I am restarting Ae yet again...just to try to get the preview to work *at all*...one must ask:

With preview still broken, how does one actually use the software at all? Or are you opening your projects in 2014 to play them, then back to 2015 to edit? Your workflow is of interest in this regard.

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Nov 24, 2015 at 5:42:31 am

I actually really like Ae CC2015. The new Preview is great, having a more responsive UI is a huge timesaver, and Libraries makes the kinds of things I do a lot easier and more efficient. After using it for awhile it's really hard to have to go back into CC2014 for anything besides rendering. Personally, I'd love to see the next couple versions continue this kind of overhaul to make Ae into an even more efficient tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]