FORUMS: list search recent posts

is Creative Cloud one way ticket?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
is Creative Cloud one way ticket?
on Nov 15, 2015 at 6:52:52 pm

Will the subscription model be a regrettable decision in the long run?

Let's say one wanted to buy in. Let's say 3 years down the road one wanted to buy out.

You could continue paying month to month until the transition was complete.

Would there be a practical way to save all your work over those last three years into a form that allowed you to seamlessly make that transition?

APPS to consider would be Photoshop, After Effects, Premier.

With Aperture EOL I would like Photoshop but if PHOTOS ever matured enough I'd might like out.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: is Creative Cloud one way ticket?
on Nov 15, 2015 at 7:37:05 pm

[Craig Alan] "With Aperture EOL I would like Photoshop but if PHOTOS ever matured enough I'd might like out."

Don't you mean Lightroom?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 15, 2015 at 8:34:16 pm

Well, Lightroom/Photoshop. The CC photo plan for about $10 a month includes both.

Most Aperture users feel that Lightroom doesn't live up to Aperture. I moved on to X after waiting a year or so while continuing to use FCP 7. But haven't yet moved on from Aperture. But my next Mac will have Captain and there have been reports of functions not working and too many crashes.

Maybe PHOTOS/Photoshop with PHOTOS being the organizer? I don't use any of these apps.

Just feeling it's time to move on.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 15, 2015 at 8:41:53 pm

Checkout Affinity Photo. It's $49 and does everything I need it to do. It also has a lot of vector capability, although, there is also Affinity Designer which is their vector program.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 15, 2015 at 9:24:05 pm

Thanks. Can I use photos to organize and affinity to edit? I think photos can open the libraries I have already.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 15, 2015 at 11:14:09 pm

Photos in El Cap with extensions is pretty cool. I'm not sure it's a replacement for Aperture/Lightroom yet if you have gigantic libraries, but I really don't know as I'm not in that category. It'll be interesting to see it "mature" though...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 16, 2015 at 12:58:53 am

[Craig Alan] "APPS to consider would be Photoshop, After Effects, Premier."

Other image editors can open PSDs, but some features aren't supported (ex. Smart Objects IIRC). Premiere can export XMLs which can get you pretty far in rebuilding the edit in another NLE. AE, I think, would be the hardest one to transfer work out of.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Nov 16, 2015 at 5:23:23 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Nov 16, 2015 at 6:11:35 am

Affinity says they are working on a DAM for Photo and Designer, as well as an InDesign style page layout program all due out next year. Affinity Photo works fine with layered PSD's. I find Lightroom to be completely inadequate as a DAM with a poorly designed interface in general. Just bought a Retina MBP 15" with Yosemite, and have my other two Mac Pros 2013 and 2012 all running Aperture/Yosemite/FCPX until things shake out. El Cap if it works for Aperture,might upgrade. If not will put it on a partition for FCPX if it requires it in the future. Own a perpetual license to Lightroom 6.x and CS6 PS. Have Production Premium, but the only part I use is PS and Audition. Should be good until someone, probably Affinity, rolls out their wares. No rental. Bye bye Adobe. For me it would utterly foolish.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.2, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15": 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Nov 16, 2015 at 4:12:01 pm

Affinity does not open PSD files with the smart objects intact - only a flattened layer is imported. The Affinity developers still have to figure out a strategy of how to deal with a smart object workflow themselves (their words).

Photoline's latest betas have improved Photoshop PSD import quite a bit lately.

Smart objects are loaded, and the layered contents is retained - and can be opened and edited, just as in Photoshop. Even smart objects with Illustrator generated vector content is actually retained, and can be edited straight in Photoline! That is pretty impressive - no other application can do that - not even Photoshop, which requires Illustrator to open that content.

Also, all adjustment layers (bar one: the photo filter) are converted to Photoline non-destructive adjustment layers. Layer groups, layer effects, art boards, fill layers (gradient and solid), layer masks: all supported and converted to Photoline equivalents.

I believe Photoline now offers the BEST PSD import on the market. Nothing else comes close.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 16, 2015 at 5:30:58 pm

Well your opinion is the same as most of the Aperture users about moving to lightroom. I really do not want to need to completely redo my organization of thousands of photos.

I did notice that that Adobe does allow a non subscription purchase of photoshop/ lightroom.

Does this get updated to be able to function with current Mac OSs Bug fixes and the like?

My problem right now is the computer I am using is getting really old for FCP X use.

If Aperture works with Captain I'd hand there for another generation.

I keep hoping PHOTOS will evolve like the original FCP X did.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Nov 16, 2015 at 6:11:50 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Nov 16, 2015 at 6:17:21 pm

Yes, Adobe does update the 6.x perpetual Lightroom for Mac and I assume PC, but I downgraded to 6.1.1 the one before the latest update with the new "easy to use import window" and a lot of bugs. Perpetual also doesn't have "Dehaze" but you can get free filters that do the same. If LR was rental I would never use it. Aperture's organizational abilities are far superior and I don't like the rooms concept of Lightroom. Hoping Affinitiy's DAM works well, but not 'til 2016. I have 3 quite new machines that are very happy on latest Yosemite, and am staying there, at least with partitions on all my machines but one which is 10.8.5 Mountain Lion for various reasons. It runs Aperture 3.4.5 which easily converts to 3.6 Libraries for Yosemite machines. My 2012 Tower has 4 OS X systems available. Will slowly be culling out the best adjusted images as TIFFS or the marginal to good as JPGs while I wait for development. They can then be used as references in LR or what else comes up in the meantime. Affinity (Serif) is working on a DAM I am hoping will be as good as their other sfw. Also a page layout program 2015 for that perhaps, 2016 for DAM.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.2, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15": 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:45:03 pm

Thanks.

Lots of links claim Aperture works fine with Captain.

I haven't upgraded to Captain either but if I buy a new Mac my hand is forced.
Or can I install Yosemite on the new Mac?

Took me a while to learn Aperture and I like it more and more. FCP 7 all over again.

I thought PHOTOS would be the FCP X of stills but so far that is not the case.

The fact that you say Lightroom is a poor organization tools and is buggy ....

not sure what to do.

Hopefully Aperture will be fine in Captain.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]