FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion and finishing

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Fusion and finishing
on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:31:17 pm

Just started getting to know Fusion some more. After thinking about it, this might be my tool of choice for finishing. It has nothing to do with subscription only, please leave those comments out of this discussion. :-)

For me, nodes are more interactive, easy to switch them around making for a more efficient workflow. Color correction tools and scopes are a bonus. What really is useful is the ability to compare different versions of settings with the click of a mouse. For me, this is a small but very nice feature. Fusion is very responsive for the most part.

I do believe that layers are better for motion graphics but for finishing, nodes are very useful. Not only that, super duper fun as well!

Love to hear your thoughts as well!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Fusion and finishing
on Oct 16, 2015 at 1:28:18 am

What does "finishing" mean to you?

I'd consider a timeline and conform tools to be mandatory, but maybe you have something else in mind?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 16, 2015 at 1:34:57 am

Perhaps finishing has different meanings based on the context of the workflow. For me, removing unwanted objects and adding some flare (not just lens flare) to a scene. Perhaps adding some film damage or other things that make a great shot even better. My two cents on the subject.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:14:50 pm

[David Mathis] "Perhaps finishing has different meanings based on the context of the workflow."

It sounds like you are talking about VFX. Typically finishing (at least in the context of the commercial world) is more along the lines of what Flame can do. There the original media is conformed to the offline edit and then embellished with color correction, clean-ups and VFX. There are a lot of people who use After Effects that way.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 23, 2015 at 12:42:29 am

[Oliver Peters] "There the original media is conformed to the offline edit and then embellished with color correction, clean-ups and VFX. T"

As someone who now sits on the sidelines for a living, I'm a little behind. Resolve actually handles color correction and clean-ups. Is that about it from your list? How well does Resolve handle conform work?

I know people who use Resolve to conform the colors of VFX shots with practical shots, which isn't exactly the same...but is there any kind of VFX workflow beyond that?

Not that its inability to do any of those things takes away from what Resolve does best, but this is also the kind of thing that crosses my mind when I read about Resolve becoming a front-of-mind primarily-used-as-an-NLE choice for someone. Really? Invaluable as part of a toolbox, obviously.

Which is slightly getting away from the original question about Fusion in the context of Fusion, but the same question is, is this tool best suited to that task? Which tasks ARE they best suited to?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 23, 2015 at 12:58:36 am

[Tim Wilson] "I know people who use Resolve to conform the colors of VFX shots with practical shots, which isn't exactly the same...but is there any kind of VFX workflow beyond that?"

Under the right circumstances, Resolve 12 has definitely moved into the ranks of possible finishing tools. If BMD completed the circle by adding some sort of direct link to Fusion, you've got something that would start to rival Autodesk's tools for the needs of most projects. That power would get us back to where Avid was with DS. ;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 31, 2015 at 5:03:20 pm

Fusion is great at single shots, but that isn't what we would typically call a finishing box.

I use a combination of Avid DS, Media Composer, Resolve, Mocha, and Fusion for most of my projects. Not all of them all the time, but usually at least 2 to 3 of them.

Before DS was abandoned, that was my finishing box. I could do pretty much everything in it, so there was not jumping around.

Place yourself with some agency clients who are in for a finishing session, and you will quickly decide what is and isn't a finishing box, as they can come up with some interesting requests.

If the client was sitting behind me, and wanted me to paint out something...there you go. While you are at it, can you swap those two shots around, or extend that one...there you go. Fusion has a timeline, but it isn't exactly the friendliest place to start cutting from one shot to the next, or retiming your shots, although it is possible. Now i add the connection plug in on my shot in DS or Media Composer and jump into fusion to paint out that shot, or what ever is needed, and then jump back to DS or Media Composer to continue working on the timeline.

Resolve is a great colour corrector, but my workflow has had to change to just doing colour sessions first, then going through (in another box) for the rest of the finishing. In the old days, while colouring a shot, you could also paint out the pimple, and add the 3d text before moving on to the next shot. Now its more of a two or 3 step process.

I'm sure there will be a connection to and from Resolve and Fusion soon enough. That will certainly help, but i'm not sure Resolve is the edit system we would all love it to be.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]