FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe vs. Blackmagic

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Adobe vs. Blackmagic
on Aug 30, 2015 at 7:23:12 pm

As a Mac user I have high regards for Adobe's efforts with its video applications - but as many others I do not like the business model that is forced upon us. I have recently begun to test Blackmagic's offerings for NLE, grading and VFX, with the newly released Betas for Resolve and Fusion. Both seem very stable and are highly professional tools. Though Resolve still needs some work to compete as a NLE.

When Adobe released the second release of Speedgrade I started using it together with Premiere to do some decent color grading. Speedgrade can do nice grading, but really does not offer any realtime and has a terrible tracker. Also the round-tripping with Premiere is not fluid enough. If I for example stabilise a shot in Premiere and try to grade it in Speedgrade, I am almost certain to crash Speedgrade. This has been observed on several configurations, and not only by me.

On the contrary Resolve really offers good performance and much better tools in color grading. And I can turn off all grades on a simple button, if I need to go back and refine my edit. And editing is the weak point of Resolve. It is still not as fluid as Premiere, and the key framing window is as bad to use as FCPX.
But if or when Blackmagic puts some more effort into the editing part of the program, it will actually be quite capable of competing against Premiere. They already included a great Keyer - and maybe will include more features for basic composting in the future.

Fusion on the other hand is a complete different beast than After Effects. Performance is actually better than AE, but it is more complex to work in, since every change needs a node, and the timeline is secondary. But once you start to learn it (and if you ever tried Shake) it seems very logical. So theoretically it could replace After Effects for the work that we do.

The problem finally comes down to staff. Almost everybody knows Premiere and AE - but almost nobody has used Resolve for editing or can find theis way around in Fusion. This means that making the shift would make it very hard to work with freelancers and hiring new staff. So this is where Adobe has a very big advantage, and will probably stay on the menu for yet a while...

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Adobe vs. Blackmagic
on Aug 31, 2015 at 12:48:48 am

The latest version of Resolve has improved playback in the edit page but still needs some tweaking. The reason I might migrate to Resolve for editing is because I am considering adding Sapphire to my tool box. I don't think Fusion is really a replacement for After Effects, due to it being really a compositor based on the fact that it uses nodes rather than layers. Would be interesting to see BMD have a layer based motion graphics package. So for now Motion works just fine. Still playing around with Fusion to enhance single clips. Waiting for the Studio version to come about.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 3, 2015 at 12:29:32 am

My initial thoughts on Resolve 12.

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/news/post/could-be-your-next-nle/61117...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 3, 2015 at 3:40:25 pm

Excellent write-up, Oliver.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 3, 2015 at 4:24:47 pm

Thanks.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 4, 2015 at 3:57:08 am

I agree with everything you wrote, well done article. This new version made a great deal of progress but sticking with FCP X for now.

Any thoughts on Hit Film by any chance? Looks interesting, might even give it a try.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 4, 2015 at 12:23:23 pm

Thanks. Hitfilm? I haven't really looked at it. It's nonexistent with the clients and markets I deal with.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 4, 2015 at 2:02:07 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It's nonexistent with the clients and markets I deal with."

I don't think Oliver deals alot with the fan film market ;-)

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:57:01 am

Just had a chance to read this Oliver, wanted to thank you for all the info and analysis

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 8, 2015 at 11:44:31 am

Thanks and you are welcome.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved