FORUMS: list search recent posts

For those wanting to avoid rental only, After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
For those wanting to avoid rental only, After Effects
on Aug 18, 2015 at 1:58:54 pm

Anyone besides me considering Blackmagic Design Fusion over After Effects for motion graphics? Why or why not? Love to hear those thoughts and opinions.

Side note: Another beta version of Resolve came out today. Looks like BMD is serious about becoming a viable competitor, though some tweaking would be helpful. Now if they had something like Photoshop to add to the mix. Thought about dumping FCP X and Motion, though it is better to have options available.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
Re: For those wanting to avoid rental only, After Effects
on Aug 18, 2015 at 3:37:14 pm

I've replaced Photoshop with a combo of Photoline and Krita. Both support full 16/32bpc, and both open EXR files as well.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 18, 2015 at 5:16:57 pm

Very much looking forward to giving it a serious try. Sounds like a lame excuse, but I've been so busy with work, (a lot of it in AE ironically) that I haven't had time to try any new software for months.

But concerns are the everyday things, shapes, text, simple stuff like that. My understanding is that Fusion inst very good with these things. YET

Also, I'm really not worried about nodes that much, based on experience with other node software or modules. I hope I dont eventually eat my words

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 27, 2015 at 11:36:15 pm

Not sure how she runs on Windows, but despite a crash (still in beta for new version) it seems to be very responsive on the Mac side of the equation. Studio version is not available, yet for version 8, at least that is what I have seen. Unless you need to render out at a higher resolution then UHD, which is 4K, need OFX support or work in a collaborative workflow, the free version should be more than sufficient.

It has expressions and particles are included in the free version. Have yet to try out the particles. A small learning curve to be sure, probably no big deal.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 27, 2015 at 11:50:00 pm

[David Mathis] "It has expressions and particles are included in the free version. Have yet to try out the particles. A small learning curve to be sure, probably no big deal."

Got a demo of particles from the Black Magic people at NAB, it was simply awesome, with full 3D particle capability, volumetric lighting etc, and VERY fast response.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 7, 2015 at 4:38:52 pm

Just started playing around with Fusion to stylize a single clip. Used some stuff from Rampant Design Tools and wanted to see how things would work out. Single scene, no problem, but motion graphics better done with Motion.

I had to usual unexpected quit a couple of times, software still in beta so that to be expected. Fusion has a fast load time and very responsive. I don't see it replacing After Effects or Motion based on the workflow. It is a nice tool to have for more complex compositing or a quick way of enhancing a single clip. Nodes are fun!

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:09:37 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:54:16 am

Wasn't going to post this early, don't have enough time into this at all , but wanted respond to your post David.

Just downloaded and installed the 8 beta. Up and running quickly without any trouble, and was able to build out a node tree quickly and add effects, which all move at the speed of light compared to AE, but there is a ton left ahead to learn.

Nodes dont scare me, I've worked with them before, in a different context. There's nothing about the node metaphor that in of itself disqualifies Fusion from motion graphics / animation work IMO. Whether I use stacked layers or merge nodes doesn't seem to me to be a huge difference, except that AE layers are wasting huge amounts of my time because they have no organizational tools like folders, much less the abiltiy to use layer effects on those folders, but Fusion allows segments of your workflow to be compartmentalized into parent nodes, providing the exact organizational elements that are lacking in AE.

But thats where my enthusiasm ends for me at the moment (only have 2 hours in - just getting started). As others have mentioned (warned), I don't see any quick way to created internally generated content (text, shapes, strokes, etc) and then animate them in a coherent way. And I haven't even begun to explore the relationship between the nodes and the timeline. Not sure how that actually works in the real world of a deadline. And I don't know how much power the timeline even has.

Not surprised about anything yet because Fusion is a compositing tool first and foremost. But I wonder how hard would it be to create text and basic shape elements in a later version, assuming that they dont exist now (I'm taking everyone's word on that at the moment)?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:26:26 am

Chris,

Thank you for responding to my post. You are spot on with everything so not much for me to add. The timeline is nice for timing stuff but for me that is at powerful as it is going to get. Of course you change the stacking order but only for organizing.

I find the color correction tools to be superior and it there are scopes to help out. Only way to access them is right click in one of the viewers. A color correction tool needs to be selected to see them. Not sure how to keyframe color correction.

Still much for me to learn as well, including rendering. One thing I have noticed under OS X is to make sure you add .mov extension if you choose to render out as a QT file otherwise finder will try to open it in a Text Edit, must be a OS X thing. You can always select the file and add the extension, then all is fine.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:48:25 am

It occurs to me that as I push ahead with alternatives to Adobe that discussions regarding specific areas of discovery are less and less relevant to this particular forum. I noticed a request from you for a Fusion forum on the BlackMagic threads, seems like a great suggestion David. Second!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 8, 2015 at 4:46:27 am

Agreed. Perhaps the forum should be called "Fusion Or Not, The Debate", has a little zing to it. :)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 8, 2015 at 6:16:53 am

[David Mathis] "Agreed. Perhaps the forum should be called "Fusion Or Not, The Debate", has a little zing to it. :)"

I actually made that very joke on another thread. Exactly like the FCPX evolution. For months, there was lots and lots of talk, and then finally people started using it, but the talk continued independent of the USE of it, so two forums was the only possible approach.

This time there's not as much debate of course. There's a pretty crisp consensus that I think aligns with BMD's own thinking re: Fusion being more analogous to Nuke than AE, and I doubt there are more than a handful of Nuke projects that aren't being fed by AE. Maybe Fusion might be doing the feeding via compositing, keying, etc., with AE adding motion graphics, expressions, etc, then handing it off to Nuke on the digital cinema side.

So maybe Fusion discussion.

Or not.

LOL

In any case, yes, at least one Fusion forum is long overdue, and I apologize for not getting to it sooner. Look for it this week....

Thanks for the reminder!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]