FORUMS: list search recent posts

So, anyone trying out the new Resolve yet?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
So, anyone trying out the new Resolve yet?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:54:05 am

So those of you looking to migrate away from Premiere Pro CS whatever or the subscription only model, what are your plans? Anyone try out the new version of Resolve yet?

I just upgraded and the edit page performance has improved over the last version but still needs a little work. I personally like the new interface. Only thing is that FCP X launches pretty darn quick but Resolve is a more complex tool. I have yet to dig in deeper. Love to hear what others think. Will it be your main NLE and finishing tool? Will it be another tool in the box? Look forward to hearing from you guys!

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
Re: So, anyone trying out the new Resolve yet?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 5:32:19 am

My experience with the new Resolve 12 has been a very positive one. The dual screen setup is excellent in my book, and the overall handling I prefer over Premiere CS6 (I am still on CS6).

I love the GUI in general, and it feels far more friendly and less cluttered than Premiere. The tools feel quite robust so far as well.

The only things marring the experience so far: when the thumbnails are generating, the timeline becomes completely unresponsive, and I am forced to wait until Resolve finishes. And Premiere feels much more snappy at this point with the identical footage compared to Resolve. Loading a directory of clips and footage can take a long time as well. These are instant in Premiere. QTDecoder crashes at times.

I am getting a better video card soon (planning on a Titan), and hopefully that will alleviate the performance issues I am experiencing currently. The beta looks good so far, if somewhat crash prone on my system.

Is someone here aware of a fix for the performance issues?

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 4, 2015 at 8:27:26 am

I noticed a couple of times when Resolve gets a bit stutter in the playback, which might be the result of me playing the media off the SSD which goes in the Blackmagic Cinema Camera but for the most part it is much improved.

Speaking of thumbnails, in FCP X you can skim through them, a huge time saver. Sadly this is not yet implemented in Resolve, just a minor thing. Something else missing would be the grid in the custom curves editor. Of course, the software is in beta version at the moment so hopefully these minor things will be addressed.

Not sure at the moment, but I am considering adding Sapphire as an OFX plug-in, the effects builder in it looks like a nice feature. Might even renew my subscription to Red Giant Universe, a nice deal and can exit out without dealing with customer service.

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:07:56 pm

I've played around with it a little bit. I love the interface and some of the editing shortcuts it has. It seems to be a lot less responsive to me, than Premiere though. I can't seem to get realtime playback of video. I get lots of stutters. So I don't think I could use it as an every day editor yet.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Aug 4, 2015 at 5:05:04 pm

I have tried it on a brand new MBP w. 16GB RAM, and the responsiveness is OK until I start loading transitions, effects and color. Guess it needs a little tweaking - but really looking great.

Love the layout of the program. It is almost like having Prelude, Premiere, Speedgrade and MediaEncoder in the same program, which makes totally sense. I can ingest some clips, start editing right away, but still go back and edit metadata. Also the color module can completely disable all color effects, so I can go back and refine my editing without loosing performance. No more waiting for "Dynamic Sink".

A few things are missing though: Possibility to change timeline frame rate + MPEG2 and MP4 export.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 4, 2015 at 5:36:05 pm

Noticed the same thing. Probably why I might export out an XML for FCP X, there your video can playback realtime with transitions and such added. Still will render but at least playback performance is not affected very much. Resolve must render before playing back transitions and all that stuff. At least Resolve is coming along nicely and no paying rent every month.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Aug 4, 2015 at 8:45:30 pm

Performance somewhat better with the new Beta2 release today.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 4, 2015 at 8:53:20 pm

Wow, that was quick! Going to give beta numeral dos a try then. Me no loco in the cabeza. Now if they hurry up and get Fusion out.

Return to posts index

David Sikes
on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:09:42 pm

I gave it a shot with a real-world edit. Took it all the way through post in Resolve. Unfortunately, it's obvious Resolve is a very, very green NLE.

I want it to work so bad, but editing just took so much longer in it. It's not as simple as being unfamiliar with where commands are hotkeyed; it's that basic, simple, and important (to me) commands I use in every edit in Premiere don't exist in Blackmagic. Where Premiere (or any other mature editor) might give you 5 ways to perform a task, Resolve gives 1 or 2.

A simple task, like lifting some footage from the timeline while rippling the timeline, takes many more keypresses and/or clicks in Resolve than in Premiere. Trimming is the same way. They've certainly added power to the trimmer in Resolve, but it still is frustrating to work with and get going.

It's a lot of little, simple stuff that takes a few more seconds to complete in Resolve. Not a lot of time per action, but it all adds up.

If you're the kind of editor who is content to use the mouse for most everything, Resolve probably won't feel much different; if you're used to driving with the keyboard and are a little obsessed with efficiency, Resolve will drive you nuts.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 12, 2015 at 5:53:22 am

I'm sure it will get better, it is Beta software. Speaking of things adding up, just look at your credit card bills and think what all that CC rental will add up to eventually with no way off without a change in career or retirement.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 12, 2015 at 6:00:32 am

I am hoping additional features are added to the first actual version of the software. Probably will be a few weeks, at most. Just waiting for the new version of Fusion to be launched.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]