FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Difficulties Of Cancelling Your CC Subscription

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Mullins
The Difficulties Of Cancelling Your CC Subscription
on May 15, 2013 at 12:24:17 pm

I'm a CC member and just out of interest I had a look today at how to cancel my subscription. It was not very straight forward.

1. I logged on to my CC account online.
2. Clicked on the little figure head and clicked 'My Account'.
3. At the bottom right of the page I clicked 'Cancel This Plan'.
4. Rather than an option to cancel my plan, a dialogue box dropped down that said if I wanted to cancel my plan Adobe would take 50% of the remaining contract fee (as per the agreement). If this was within the first 30 days of the agreement that would then be refunded by contacting customer support. Below was a link saying 'to cancel your plan contact customer support'.
5. I clicked the link saying 'customer support' and it took me to a help page where cancelling your plan was nowhere to be seen, rather loads of FAQ's and links to how-to videos. Beneath all that was another link to 'contact support'. I clicked it.
6. I now went through to a 'contact support' page which again primarily offered links to FAQ's. One of the links said 'manage my membership' so I clicked on that. And it took me back to the 'My Account' page I accessed at the start of this procedure. Nice.
7. Undeterred by such an intuitive interface I returned to the 'contact support' page and beneath the FAQ links at the very bottom there was a box that said 'I still need help'. I clicked on it and a drop down box said 'Ask our experts' (in the adobe community forum), or 'chat with an agent' (online).
8. I initiated the chat and asked 'If I want to cancel my creative cloud subscription how do I do so?' In the chat box I received a message saying 'All our agents are busy and your estimated wait time is 23 minutes'.

Whilst we wait I'd like to point out that I'm an educational customer (staff producing corporate material for a uni in London) and in order to obtain my educational pricing I had to agree to a 1 year contract. I am still within the first 30 days of my subscription so technically I can cancel with no fees to pay, however Adobe will take 50% of that yearly contract (around £120) as soon as I cancel and if I want the refund I have to contact customer support. That's disgraceful in my opinion and a rather clear indication of money-grabbing if ever I saw it.

9. About 15 minutes later I was connected with 'Prashanth'. Here is the conversation that followed -

Prashanth: Hello! Welcome to Adobe Customer Service.
Prashanth: Hi Ben.
Prashanth: May I please have your email address registered with Adobe?
Ben: ben*********@hotmail.com
Prashanth: Thank you for the email address.
Ben: I don't wish to cancel right now, I just want to know how to in the future.
Prashanth: I understand that, you want to cancel your order, am I correct?
Ben: No! Not today, I only want to know how to in the future.
Prashanth: Thank you for confirming.
Prashanth: I will be glad to help you with that.
Prashanth: Ben to cancel your Order in future, you need too contact us, so that we can cancel the order for you.
Ben: And is this the best way to contact you? Is there a phone number?
Prashanth: You can contact us on the live chat and cancel the order.
Ben: And will you issue a refund as well?
Prashanth: Ben, if the order is within 30 days, you will get the refund for the cancelled order.
Ben: Will this happen automatically at the time of cancellation?
Prashanth: Yes, that's correct.
Ben: OK, thank you. Have a nice day!

A small amount of confusion but generally pretty helpful, although what he said regarding the refund when within the first 30 days is not how it sounds on the Adobe website. Some clarification would be nice.

All in all though this is a terrible process for cancelling your account (is an online chat really the only option?) when most other websites simply have a button to click within your 'My Account' settings. Generally speaking I really like Adobe products and up until recently I held Adobe as a company in quite high esteem (compared to Apple at least) but this is pretty poor and certainly something that needs to be addressed/simplified now.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
Re: The Difficulties Of Cancelling Your CC Subscription
on May 15, 2013 at 3:14:23 pm

If you have to jump through such hoops to cancel, I wonder how difficult it would be to change your subscription from full to just one application (say PPRO only)?

I have no intention of doing so in the near future, but once my introductory rate is up it is an option I am considering.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2013 at 3:16:45 pm

I'm not surprised by your difficulty in getting a straight answer, but I don't think it's new with the new subscription model.

I've always found the Adobe web site difficult to navigate. No, that's not entirely right: I find it downright Byzantine.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 15, 2013 at 3:22:54 pm

You're right, Dave - I always expect to run into the Minotaur when I'm trying to find something on the Adobe site.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2013 at 3:30:05 pm

Amen, brother!

I once was gullible enough to take one of those popup "How Do You Like Our Web Site?" surveys. I took great pains to say, "It stinks, and here's why I think it stinks."

As if my participation would change a single, blessed thing.... ha.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on May 15, 2013 at 3:52:04 pm

Since one of the 'plus points' Adobe keep pushing (regarding CC) is that you can cancel your subscription at any time and use CC on an as-and-when basis you'd think they'd make the process a little more user friendly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2013 at 4:11:20 pm

In my experience, there is NOTHING on the Adobe web site that is user-friendly.

It seems to be put together by a bunch of software engineers ("hey, we know HTML: how tough can this be?") instead of web developers.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 15, 2013 at 5:00:06 pm

I must say - the chat service works quite well. They proved quick and efficient in helping today with serial number confusion while installing a new CS6 Production Premium.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 15, 2013 at 5:55:00 pm

I've found the chat helpline very friendly but extremely inaccurate in the information I was given.

My enquiry was all to do with what would happen if I cancelled and I got 3 different answers from 3 different representatives.

Now if you should encounter any serious difficulties this is the portal for sorting them out - so first impressions are not favourable. Obviously in order to save money Adobe have outsourced their first line of support department. Maybe with a serious problem you would get to speak with someone but I remember the difficulty that Larry Jordan had resolving his problem.

Don't worry Adobe aren't alone in this practice most large consumer facing organisations now employ this method. With Applecare however you get to speak with someone pretty quickly, whether they know more about sorting out a problem than you is sometimes not the case ( Try the Cow for knowledgeable answers ) but they are normally pretty personable and helpful.

Here in the UK many companies realised how ineffectual and unpopular outsourcing their support was and have subsequently set up UK based call centres again.

The customer is King - right?

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 15, 2013 at 7:25:08 pm

Maybe the the problem is that adobe is overloaded with cc problems or cc cancelations or maybe both.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 15, 2013 at 7:43:14 pm

[Mark Dobson] "Obviously in order to save money Adobe have outsourced their first line of support department"

What do you mean "outsource"? Are they subcontractors or Adobe employees?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2013 at 8:12:44 pm

[Richard Herd] "What do you mean "outsource"? Are they subcontractors or Adobe employees?"

Hard to tell from the outside. However, despite the large number of individuals whose ancestry originates on the Indian subcontinent in the tech field, one still hears a great many Indian accents on the phone.

Are these individuals in Montana? New Jersey? Or perhaps in Calcutta or Mumbai? Specific and encyclopedic Adobe product knowledge should be available to all of them, but it doesn't appear to be. You decide.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 15, 2013 at 8:42:15 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "I must say - the chat service works quite well. They proved quick and efficient in helping today with serial number confusion while installing a new CS6 Production Premium."

Hi Morten,
So glad to hear it! We've put new efforts into chat support, so I'm glad to hear the experience was good. In fact, I highly recommend you try chat support before going to the phones.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 15, 2013 at 8:50:48 pm

Kevin - I might put in a harsh tone other places on this forum regarding the new CC business conditions - especially since we experience a large cost increase in Europe - but I do respect Adobe for being customer focused, and was very happy to see it in action...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 16, 2013 at 3:53:36 am

[Morten Ranmar] "I must say - the chat service works quite well. They proved quick and efficient in helping today with serial number confusion while installing a new CS6 Production Premium.
"

I have to agree. I cancelled my first subscription (within the 30 day period) so that I could get the lower-priced subscription for CS6 owners, and the folks on the chat service walked me through very quickly, and effectively. They kept we informed of the process via email, down to my refund and the opening of my new account. It went more smoothly than I thought it would.

Return to posts index

Charleen Neal
on Feb 10, 2015 at 4:30:34 pm

It's not difficult to navigate. The site just keeps you going in circles until you give up. Perhaps Adobe can squeeze another payment out of you until you take some real initiative in cancelling?

Return to posts index

terry brown
on Apr 14, 2016 at 1:26:09 am

I tried to cancel within the 14 day trial (my client was sold, I wasn't going to need the app anymore). The rep told me that I didn't need to cancel - that the 'subscription' would end unless I pro-actively sign on to continue. When I was billed a few weeks later they told me I would have to pay a cancellation fee if I tried to cancel.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Apr 14, 2016 at 6:21:07 am

Never trust reps. Especially at Adobe and large corps: in my experience they often have no clue about the rules themselves. Not necessarily on purpose or with ill intent (although it does happen to keep their bonuses), but because they are new themselves, or merely ignorant.

Always check the small print yourself.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]