FORUMS: list search recent posts

I've seen the future of CC and it is called Adobe Acrobat DC

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
I've seen the future of CC and it is called Adobe Acrobat DC
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:34:15 am

This forum has been so quiet lately! There must be something worth talking about...

I know! :) Take a look at this:

1 product, 2 ways to buy! Perpetual option! Oh hai!

Sarbanes-Oxley? No problem! Parallel development? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now, pretend instead of Adobe Acrobat DC Desktop, there's something called Adobe Premiere Pro CC Desktop. It's Premiere Pro desktop software only, perpetually licensed without Creative Cloud services.

Hmmm, maybe they could do that with other Adobe applications too...

Adobe CC Desktop - they even have the name ready to go.

I guarantee a plan B is already in place. All they need to do is flip a switch. They're just waiting.

Let's take bets. I say they pull the trigger mid-2016 or 2017 depending on Wall Street pressure. What do you think?

Adobe CC Desktop. You heard it here first. :)

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
Re: I've seen the future of CC and it is called Adobe Acrobat DC
on Jul 29, 2015 at 7:03:43 am

Meh. By that time I predict BlackMagic's Fusion and DaVinci Resolve will have grown so much in features and stability compared to Premiere and AFx, that users will have made the switch. Free and superior quality are a tough combo in software to beat ;-)

Interesting to see that Adobe suddenly decides to offer both a perpetual and a subscription service out of the blue. Must be that many companies operate behind firewalls which disallow Acrobat and Office software to access the internet directly.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 29, 2015 at 7:35:01 am

I thought I was going to need to go to an AA meeting even though I don't drink after seeing this. LOL

I would not be all that surprised, will just a little, should Adobe decide to do this with Photoshop or other product offerings. I have tried out the new version of Resolve, much more solid but also still room for improvement. No sign of Fusion for OS X at the moment, thought it would have been out by now. Perhaps this could be a reason for Adobe to change course. Time will tell and hard to know what might be waiting down the road for us. Would be nice if the old school option is available once again.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Jul 29, 2015 at 12:43:41 pm

A possible deterrent to Adobe offering a perpetual license, is that it would give the user an easy way to open/access old projects once they've moved on to a different NLE.

I too will start testing the BM/Fusion waters as soon as we see the complete Mac version.

Interesting times:-)

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 29, 2015 at 5:14:43 pm

[David Lawrence] "Sarbanes-Oxley? No problem! Parallel development? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

SOX is only a potential problem when it comes to releasing feature upgrades (which I can't imagine Acrobat gets a ton of) and parallel dev isn't that big a deal when you are only dealing with an app or two (ex. Avid). Doing the same thing across Adobe's entire suite of apps though? That's a whole different ball of wax. I can only imagine for the flood of bitching that would happen when perpetual license holders find out they can't properly open projects started by CC subscribers. The subscriber is on CC2016 1.1 (feature upgrades + bug fixes), the perpetual license holder is on CC2016 1.0.1 (only bug fixes) and 1.0.1 obviously can't support the new features in 1.1.

Solutions?

Well, Adobe could tell the perpetual license holders sign up for CC but they'd probably just yell, "I just bought CC2016 a few months ago, and I wasn't planning on upgrading until CC2020, but now you greedy dirt bags want me to subscribe to CC2016 too? Fat chance!"

Another possible solution is for Adobe to hold back all meaningful feature upgrades until whole new versions come out, but that negates a major plus for both Adobe CC customers as well as the dev teams working inside of Adobe.

So do we go back to the old CS model where Adobe was trying to solve its revenue problems and users were bragging how many years of software upgrades they routinely skip?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:28:44 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "SOX is only a potential problem when it comes to releasing feature upgrades (which I can't imagine Acrobat gets a ton of) "

I recently wrote a ridiculously long post on this, but I'll underscore both your point and mine: SOX is about upgrades.

Without trying to get too far off the point (who? ME?), I'll note that the other big difference between subscriptions and paid upgrades is that subscriptions allow you manage forward-funded development, rather than being paid in arrears for developing features that may not subsidize themselves.

This idea of specifically funding specific features starts to get into a whole 'nother Sarbox thing...but specific features being assigned specific dollar values definitely a thing, and a big one at that. It goes away with subscriptions.

To your point about Acrobat, though, Andrew, absolutely, having a narrower scope of new features makes it vastly easier to monetize them in arrears through standalone upgrades. Fewer moving pieces.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jul 29, 2015 at 7:37:24 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Another possible solution is for Adobe to hold back all meaningful feature upgrades until whole new versions come out, but that negates a major plus for both Adobe CC customers as well as the dev teams working inside of Adobe."

Another possible solution is for Adobe separate bug fix updates from feature upgrades. If you look at the release notes of Premiere Pro 9.0.1 99% is bug fixes with one feature enhancement upgrade.

Keep feature upgrades separate. Subscribers get them immediately, perpetual users have to wait.

How long? 6-months? Maybe a year? Whatever makes sense. And of course, perpetual users would be charged an appropriate fee. Maybe pay a premium to get upgrades sooner? Lots of possibilities. It's not rocket science. Adobe is smart enough to make it work.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:58:31 am

[David Lawrence] "How long? 6-months? Maybe a year? Whatever makes sense. And of course, perpetual users would be charged an appropriate fee. Maybe pay a premium to get upgrades sooner? Lots of possibilities. It's not rocket science. Adobe is smart enough to make it work."

%100 agreed. Frankly if I have options to maintain some kind of usable version of the software after subscriptions I would pay a premium. #PleaseTakeMyMoney

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 1, 2015 at 10:02:19 pm

[David Lawrence] "Another possible solution is for Adobe separate bug fix updates from feature upgrades."

Unfortunately that becomes a complete mess and is what tripped up Avid. You have to remember that none of these companies have clean sales channels. They all have a combination of individual sales, resellers sales, and direct enterprise accounts. It makes it extremely hard to handle the accounting, which is why they are all more than happy to embrace a different approach.

The confusion arises because one person's feature is another's bug fix and vice versa. In the past, I've had product managers (not from Adobe or Avid) admonish me not to write about a new version release and call it a feature release - only bug fixes. It was funny to me at the time, but in subsequent years, it's obviously turned into quite a problem. We have SOX here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the EU imposes similar regulations.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:24:18 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:39:35 pm

Frankly, Andrew, I never skipped a CS upgrade. Have every version back since CS Production began and one or two CS Designs. All of Photoshop before that since the first version. Bought the perpetual license on DVD of Lightroom 5 when the axe fell on Aperture and just got the v6 upgrade download. Still like Aperture much better, especially for organization, but just saying, if they offer it, I do buy (perpetual). I have latest Blackmagic hardware, and just waiting for the release version of Resolve 12. Adobe may be missing a very large boat if it is as good as it looks. Throw in Affinity Photo, Designer, and eventually Publisher with perpetual licensing at low cost, and it may become obvious that unending rental was not such a great idea for Adobe.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:29:20 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:29:55 am

[David Lawrence] "Let's take bets. I say they pull the trigger mid-2016 or 2017 depending on Wall Street pressure. What do you think?

Adobe CC Desktop. You heard it here first. :)"

Deal me in on the action David. Early 2017 is my bet. If it happens at all of course.

I still believe its slightly possible that I might actually give Adobe my money again some day. But the window is closing rapidly. Between Affinity and Black Magic as examples, and then very poor responses to key questions regarding speed and functionality that I got at NAB, a lot of us are beginning to walk out the door anyway.

As mentioned before, the key is their low net profit situation and investors reaction to it over time. I think the low-lying fruit has been picked overall regarding subscriptions(slowing rates of growth in subscriptions over time are inevitable).

And they can only trash support costs so much before it becomes impossible to even deal with Adobe software. Cutting costs is something they've already invested in (Shantanu Narayen) to the detriment of their overall value prop, how much further could they even go to improve the bottom line while damaging the perception of the reliability of their software?

The one thing I will grant though: Adobe appears to have finally given up on endless discounts to attract former customers after years. If they can maintain even moderate overall subscription increases and stability while improving margins at the same time, then they may accomplish their original goal: Allow thier original loyal customer base to diminish by large portions, but still be better off financially because of long term streams of subscriptions from those who stay (or lets be honest: thousands of newbies). If so, no PL's. For Evermore. (And bring on the end of Adobe domination of creative software and formats BTW)

But I've always believed that they have a "break glass in case of emergency" plan to try and get big bucks PL's back into the revenue stream once CS6 has no market value anymore. ( Adobe STILL sells this software, its part of their revenue picture. What happens when no one buys it anymore? Can they do without that revenue?)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 30, 2015 at 3:11:51 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Between Affinity and Black Magic as examples"

As examples of software you're not actually going to start using?

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:37:52 pm

I'm already using Affinity Photo. A real PS competitor, better in many ways. Adobe should be worried about that one. When the first Golden Master release of Resolve 12 is out, I will be all over it. A lot faster than Adobe will ever get my credit card and a subscription out of me.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 1, 2015 at 1:43:57 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "When the first Golden Master release of Resolve 12 is out, I will be all over it."

From what I'm hearing about the beta, I highly doubt that...unless realtime playback isn't a big issue for you.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Aug 1, 2015 at 11:44:52 pm

Not sure why you say that, Resolve 12 totally has real time playback
as long as you have the appropriate GPU card.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 2, 2015 at 12:01:23 am

[Gabe Strong] "Resolve 12 totally has real time playback
as long as you have the appropriate GPU card."

Well, sort of. I've done a lot of R12 testing in the past few days on several machines and have been in touch with BMD on this issue. There's a PCIe bandwidth issue that seems to affect older machines - mainly those running PCIe 2.0 with several cards installed. That generally covers most Mac Pro towers.

If you have dual displays enabled, with VU and mixer panels open, are running 10-bit video monitoring, and have a video output, such as through a Decklink card - then odds are that you will not get smooth playback on the Edit page to the viewer. Yet, you probably will get smooth playback on the other pages to the viewers.

The solution, for now, is to disable the dual screen layout, turn off the video output, switch to 8-bit monitoring, and/or close the mixer and VU panels. I've found the mixer panel seems to be the most taxing.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Aug 2, 2015 at 12:55:09 am
Last Edited By Gabe Strong on Aug 2, 2015 at 12:56:51 am

Oliver,

I've got an older (2009) Mac Pro tower. I have flashed the firmware
to turn it from a 4.1 to a 5.1 and installed a hex core CPU. I had an
older Nvidia FX 4800 (1.8 GPU RAM) which didn't give realtime playback
in Resolve 12. Upgrading to a hefty card from Macvidcards fixed that.
Then of course (as you pointed out), there are various configurations
with external output to monitor and so on. So, yeah it really depends
on all the particulars of your system, as it does with most NLE's.
And it depends on what you are editing, HD? 4k? But it's not really
accurate to say that 'you won't be using Resolve 12 unless 'realtime
playback isn't a big deal to you' either. That may have been true with
Resolve 11. Resolve 12 is a whole different story.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 2, 2015 at 2:17:34 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Aug 2, 2015 at 2:20:11 am

[Gabe Strong] "So, yeah it really depends
on all the particulars of your system, as it does with most NLE's."

While that's true, the same systems that run Media Composer, Premiere Pro and FCP X without issue seem to be more taxed by R12. It's important to note that in this first beta, the on-the-fly low-res, real-time proxy generation is not enabled, yet. Therefore, all playback is at full resolution, which doesn't help.

[Gabe Strong] "And it depends on what you are editing, HD?"

Agreed. Most of my testing was with some ProRes flavor, 24p and 25p media. So relatively easy on the system. I certainly wouldn't expect having an open mixer panel to cause choppy playback. That's actually rather critical for creative editing. Frankly, there's an architectural design flaw somewhere. You ought to have really smooth playback in the Edit page, but could sacrifice playback performance on the Color page. Right now it's the other way around.

[Gabe Strong] "But it's not really
accurate to say that 'you won't be using Resolve 12 unless 'realtime
playback isn't a big deal to you' either."

Gary said that. Not me.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 2, 2015 at 1:50:27 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Aug 2, 2015 at 1:51:19 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Gary said that. Not me."

Yes, give credit where credit is due!

This was all the rage last year with Resolve 11, so yes, I fully expect the same thing to be said this year, and next for Resolve 13. And the result will be the same. It's not just the laggish-ness either. OFX plugins are substantially more expensive, and there's not the plethora of them like there are for the FCPX and Premeire/AE platforms, no native MP4 exporting, no "Project" file (for archiving...supposed to use XML? But XML has been a thorn in the side for many here over future-proofing CC edits, so they're going to suddenly turn and embrace it for Resolve?), multicam, awkward editing GUI, and so on.

Like Pixelmator. Caused quite a buzz when it came out. Now who is still using it today? Affinity is now the current buzzword and so on. It's pretty transparent, but people seem to easily forget and fall into the same loop. It's all an attempt to be "threatening", but it's non-customers threatening to remain non-customers if they don't get their way.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 2, 2015 at 4:19:48 pm

[Gary Huff] "This was all the rage last year with Resolve 11, so yes, I fully expect the same thing to be said this year, and next for Resolve 13. And the result will be the same. It's not just the laggish-ness either. OFX plugins are substantially more expensive, and there's not the plethora of them like there are for the FCPX and Premeire/AE platforms, no native MP4 exportin"

I wouldn't be so quick with that assessment. I'm definitely getting real-time performance. What I see is choppy playback to the viewer, but playback IS real-time and looks good out through the Decklink card.

As far as OFX, if you have plug-ins installed for other reasons that include an OFX version, they show up in Resolve. For instance, I have the Red Giant Universe plug-ins installed (for FCPX and AE) and these automatically install with OFX filters, too. So these show up inside Resolve. On a PC, if you own Vegas, you already have a bunch of OFX plug-ins. These also show up there. Same is true with FilmConvert. If you want to purchase OFX plug-ins, there's a full set from GenArts, BorisFX (BCC), and NewBlueFX.

As far as MP4, there are a number of things that haven't been turned on yet, like web exports, which is where MP4 would come in. That may well show up in one of the next beta releases.

[Gary Huff] "Like Pixelmator. Caused quite a buzz when it came out. Now who is still using it today? Affinity is now the current buzzword and so on."

Actually quite a lot of people use these for their own purposes. Of course, not necessarily people you run into in the video world. It's just that interchange with clients largely still requires actual Photoshop and Illustrator installations, especially where agencies are involved.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 2, 2015 at 5:55:49 pm

[Oliver Peters] ["Gary Huff] "Like Pixelmator. Caused quite a buzz when it came out. Now who is still using it today? Affinity is now the current buzzword and so on."

Actually quite a lot of people use these for their own purposes. Of course, not necessarily people you run into in the video world. "

I think that's what it comes down to in the end. Of COURSE Pixelmator works well enough for some people to drop Photoshop. I can imagine a whole class of potential Photoshop users lost forever to Instagram.

But for pros, for real, outside of subscription rebellion, in the actual real world of professional production -- no. Not Instagram, not Pixelmator, and not Affinity.

I'm guessing that the most that Affinity can hope for is to achieve the status of Motion: a capable workaround for people who adamantly hew as close as possible to Apple's bosom, or as far as possible from Adobe's. Not that there aren't advantages to, and perhaps more fun for occasional users from a slimmed-down feature set in a bouncy, flouncy interface. But in the end, Motion isn't, and Affinity won't be, a place where somebody can make a living as an expert to the extent that they could in Photoshop and After Effects. Nifty niche add-ons at best, and inherently career-limiting for the foreseeable future.

Resolve, tbd of course. As Oliver notes, there are swaths of functionality intentionally not enabled yet in this beta. We don't actually know what we have yet.

But I'm looking at the same Affinity/Motion model. It's going to be a long time before somebody posts a job looking for an EDITOR proficient in Resolve.

That's irrelevant to somebody not looking for a job of course, or to an independent operator whose clients don't know or don't care what products you're using, or to a Resolve colorist looking to expand their skillset. For you folks, this may be the godsend you've been waiting for. Nobody knows yet.

But otherwise, an hour spent learning Resolve as an EDITOR is an hour NOT spent furthering your marketability to people looking for EDITORS.

Better to have spent that hour sharpening your After Effects chops. LOL

Or not to LOL, take a look at today's job listings. Listings for editors with After Effects skills abound. Coming on 10 years later, listings for editors with Motion skills are rare, even for companies looking to hire FCP/FCPX editors.

So yeah, always good to have lots of tools in the kit. Always good to be able to surprise clients or bosses with things they didn't know were possible. And yet, better still to be able to give them what they know they need -- deep skills in Photoshop and After Effects.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:12:45 pm

[Tim Wilson] "It's going to be a long time before somebody posts a job looking for an EDITOR proficient in Resolv"

I'm not so sure that's true. I think it has a very good potential position in the editing world as the principal finishing (i.e. "online" editing) tool. Where such a product exists today, it's usually Smoke. In some cases, Quantel, Scratch, or the dear-departed Avid DS. If in most cases, the need is more for conforming and versioning than for the creation of VFX, then Resolve easily covers that need.

The second area is field production. Resolve has already found a nice place among DITs. Increasingly these folks are being asked to edit scenes on location. If they are already using Resolve - and it already can create Avid-compatible editing media - then using Resolve to also edit on set would be a natural.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:31:22 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to dis Affinity. I have been using it, and it has very good PSD compatibility with PS,including layers with at least CS6, and I won't go through the no rental spiel again. I can see it easily fulfilling the needs of of many professionals. It is only v1, after all and their management seems quite determined. Five years in development so far, and not with hobbyists in mind. Rental only from Adobe is a very fat target. Same is true with Resolve. Haven't used Resolve 12 yet, waiting for the release version, but the road of the last couple of decades are littered with systems people once "had to know".

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:41:03 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Aug 2, 2015 at 8:41:29 pm

[Jim Wiseman] " I can see it easily fulfilling the needs of of many professionals."

And that's what was said about Pixelmator. So what's the difference this time around? What is going to keep people on it vs the next sexy thing that comes out in a year or two?

Return to posts index

David Miller
on Aug 2, 2015 at 10:59:19 pm

[Gary Huff] "nd that's what was said about Pixelmator. So what's the difference this time around? What is going to keep people on it vs the next sexy thing that comes out in a year or two?"

What's different this time around is that Affinity Photo is part of a suite of 3 products....2 of which are shipping, and the remaining one will go into beta near the end of this year or start of next...which will form an ecosystem of their own.

Pixelmator, on the other hand, is a single product.

The Affinity programs will all share a basic file format and will work seamlessly together. And since they are also newly written from the ground up to take advantage of various processes within OS X, they won't be dragged down speed-wise with the legacy of 25 year old code.

The Affinity suite is just starting out, so naturally it will take awhile to gain the various capabilities that more mature products like Adobe's currently have. But you have to start somewhere, and Affinity's Version 1 products for Designer (vector) and Photo (bitmap) have a lot to offer in just their Version 1 releases. Even so, there will be growing pains but those will be overcome. Ultimately, they will hopefully prove to be viable alternatives and perhaps even major competitors.

Back in the 90s, QuarkXPress held what was considered to be an unassailable position marketshare-wise. They were most definitely the 900 lb gorilla in the page layout category. Everyone had to know Quark to get a job back then. But Quark's management (the Finance guy there who bought out the owner/founder and wanted to milk the company for all that he could...I think his name was Ebrahimi) got utterly full of themselves and treated the customer base like dirt. Why? Because they could. And then along came this little upstart that no one ever heard of called InDesign. Adobe packaged it in a shrewd manner....they stuck it in with a bunch of other must-have programs, called it a suite, and used that as a Trojan Horse to get InDesign into the hands of designers everywhere.

Soon, Quark's marketshare began to shrink as InDesign's share began to explode. Reason being: why should people have to pay extravagant prices for Quark and put up with their attitude, when they already had a usable/viable page layout application available to them in their suite? As more and more designers began to experiment with InDesign, more and more began dropping Quark. Now, Quark is the also-ran while InDesign holds the 900 lb gorilla position.

Who is to say that Affinity's page layout program won't supplant InDesign at some point in the future? We've already seen the torch passed between 3 apps: PageMaker, QuarkXPress, InDesign.....Affinity Publisher could be the successor at some point.

But that's what is different. Affinity is building an ecosystem while Pixelmator is a one-off.

- David

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Aug 5, 2015 at 11:52:05 am

Another difference: Affinitys Photo is extremely fast.
(Modern Code / Not overpimped)
And I like it´s non-destructive editing. You can go back to nearby every change you made.
After a bit learning, I can do 98% of all Photoshop-Jobs.
Not comparable with Pixelmator or even Gimp.
The big disadvantage: MAC-only.
I think - as long as they will not have a WIN Version, they will not become a real competitor.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:17:46 pm

There are a lot of Macs out here, Rainer, especially running Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Very good strategy to do Mac optimization better than Adobe, which has treated the Mac as a second platform, and then do Windows versions.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 6, 2015 at 6:55:36 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Very good strategy to do Mac optimization better than Adobe, which has treated the Mac as a second platform, and then do Windows versions."

That's probably because Apple routinely pulls the rug out from under software by altering APIs and frameworks with little advance notice.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 6, 2015 at 7:19:43 pm

Affinity's focus on the Mac makes me and a lot of Mac users very happy. Look at all the bugs on the Mac in the recent 2015 (my goodness, yearly, sound familiar?) release of CC. After using it, I can tell you it is a lot faster on the Mac than Photoshop. Actually uses all of the Mac's OS resources, something Adobe has neglected.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Aug 8, 2015 at 11:19:05 am

I´m a MAC-friend too from the beginning. Nearby 100% of my work is done on MACs (and if needed WIN mostly runs in Virtualiszation).
So, It´s not me, who is sad about the missing WIN-Version.
But about 90% of PCs worldwide running under WIN.
And to get the Mass-Market, I think it´s necessary to target these too.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 2, 2015 at 11:23:59 pm

[Tim Wilson] "But I'm looking at the same Affinity/Motion model. It's going to be a long time before somebody posts a job looking for an EDITOR proficient in Resolve. "

This kinda goes to Oliver's point, but a huge difference between Affinity/Motion and Resolve is that Resolve is already a very well established player in the post world (and much more adopted since BM took over). BM doesn't have to convince people to use Resolve, they just have to convince people to try out it's new features.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:25:48 am

Thank you, David and Andrew, for making these points. Gave me time to watch a ball game.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 6, 2015 at 9:50:37 pm

minted lawrence, minted.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]