FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affinity Photo now available in Mac App Store...

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Miller
Affinity Photo now available in Mac App Store...
on Jul 9, 2015 at 3:19:32 am

As of a few minutes ago (as of this writing), the new Affinity Photo application is available for purchase from the Mac App Store. Price is $39.99. No subscription.

Now, I am in the Eastern Time Zone in the US, so it MIGHT be the case that Central, Mountain and Pacific will see that app available around 11pm or thereabouts local time. My understanding is that Apple was supposed to make the new app available for download around 12:30am local time, but they jumped the gun by allowing it to appear around 11pm ET. They did the same thing with Affinity Designer back in October.

FYI!

- David

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Affinity Photo now available in Mac App Store...
on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:37:26 pm

[David Miller] "As of a few minutes ago (as of this writing), the new Affinity Photo application is available for purchase from the Mac App Store. Price is $39.99. No subscription. "

Frankly, everyone should purchase it whether or not there is much intent to actually switch from Photoshop. Fully helping fund these upstarts can only help all of us creatives in the long run.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 11, 2015 at 11:59:02 pm

Thank you for posting. Will look to give it a try but decided to go with Photoshop for now. Glad to know of options out there.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 12, 2015 at 8:19:51 pm

[David Mathis] "Glad to know of options out there."

Exactly. I don't know how much into Affinity Photo I will personally go, but I wanted to show them my support, all $40 of it, and keep a good alternative going. We all win.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 13, 2015 at 12:35:32 am

I agree completely. Not sure how much I will use it either but will add to my tool kit. Perhaps there will be more competition for the photo community.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Jul 19, 2015 at 7:56:04 am

I agree wholeheartedly as well. For those of you not working on a Mac, Photoline is a more capable image editor than Affinity Photo (which does not support 32bpc, or dehaze, or Lab mode, etcetera).

Also available for Macs, btw. Perhaps not as inexpensive as Affinity Photo, but still extremely affordable. And you will be supporting a very small software house (two German brothers). I was able to replace Photoshop with Photoline. It even imports multi-layered EXR files (something not possible in PS without a commercial plugin).

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jul 20, 2015 at 9:57:39 pm

Affinity Photo does have LAB color profiles. Dehaze is in the release schedule. Just getting into it, but for a release 1.x, I find it to be extremely good. No other competitor to Photoshop can come close, and many ways excels it. Speed for instance. It makes much better use of Mac system resources. I can see myself using Photoshop less and less, and you certainly can't beat the price or the lack of a subscription trap. I encourage everyone to buy a copy. This software and Affinity deserve our support.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:45:20 am

I cannot work without Lab curves - there are many techiques I like to pull off in Lab mode, and I an image editor which does not offer at least proper Lab support to be rather limited in many ways.

And Photoline offers a HIS and HSV workflow as well: including curves. I miss that in Photoshop and other image editors. Really useful.

No 32bpc mode is a no-go when dealing with HDR and CG for me. And most processing in Photoline occurs at 32bpc float level - even when working in lower bit depths. Another thing I like is that Photoline does full 16bpc, unlike Photoshop which in semi-16bpc (15 bit).

Problematic at times is Photoshop's 8bit image pyramid when zooming out at 50% or more, which results in terrible banding on occasion. This does not happen in Photoline. :-)

Still, Affinity Photo does excel at a number of things - the on-canvas tools are very nice. It is just missing the mark to be able to really compete with Photoshop and Photoline on a higher and deeper level for now.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]