FORUMS: list search recent posts

2015--Are things improving?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Moody
2015--Are things improving?
on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:46:08 pm
Last Edited By Lance Moody on Jul 7, 2015 at 3:22:19 pm

I read with interest the comments of the esteemed Mylenium on the new release. http://myleniumblog.com

For instance:

"the number of bugs is just staggering" and "calling it a complete disaster would be doing anyone favors"

It seems when reading the forums at Adobe that there are so many bugs (or apparent bugs, the level of user is wildly variable so you can't be sure) that Adobe should likely freeze the feature set and just work on stability.

Mylenium is someone who knows the software at a MUCH MUCH higher level than the average user. He doesn't offer idle criticism. I have felt that coming-apart-at-the-seams feeling about Premiere for a while now--the software peaked somewhere around CS6 and seems less and less reliable with each new release.

I was sitting with 3 other editors the other day and we were talking about the software we use. One topic was dynamic linking between After Effects and Premiere. We all agreed (coming from different systems, different shops) that DL just plain doesn't work. I mentioned that I usually start a dynamic link from Premiere that creates a composition in After Effects. But then I never neglect to go BACK to Premiere and revert back to the real footage, getting rid of the dynamic link. I hit upon this workflow after MUCH pain trying to use the freaking "feature". One by one each other editor said that they used the exact same workflow. So there is one of Adobe's bum features causing untold misery among a room full of editors (and likely a whole world full).

I was using After Effects and had to call up the Numbers effect. 1995, your interface is calling. Here is a very useful effect that has not seen any updates in forever...instead there is a constant obsession with dubious new features. Mylenium covers this very well at his blog.

I recently exported some spots from Premiere to Adobe Media Encoder. It was a six spot package. I queued all of them at once with the exact same settings (the spots all contain only only Apple Prores footage--cuts and dissolves--no effects).

The resulting exports were mostly fine except that two of the exported spots hung at a particular moment and then repeated that little moment over and over again. I finally got it to work by exporting from Premiere directly.

How do you even start to talk about something that broken?

Is 2015 getting better....what do you think?

Lance

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: 2015--Are things improving?
on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:17:35 am

[Lance Moody] "Is 2015 getting better....what do you think?"

By all accounts, this 2015 release is a mess. Here's another big bug thread:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1876567

At least this one is well known so I imagine there will be a fix soon. Still, gotta wonder how something this big gets by QA. Or maybe QA is just being outsourced to subscribers, lol! ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Jon Hornbacher
on Jul 10, 2015 at 2:32:21 am

Are they improving? Yes and no.

On the No side...

Numerous bugs that have been around since CC are still with us. Examples: audio waveforms suddenly disappearing; opening a project opens random Sequences rather than the one you were working on when you last saved and closed, etc. Three versions into CC, these simple things have not been fixed.

Dynamic linking between AE and Premiere...no way do you count on that working deep into a large project. I use it to export out to AE, but always render a final movie and just overwrite that filename if I need to make changes.

Adobe Media Encoder is broken. How many of us have had audio tracks just not show up in a final encode? I export everything right from the timeline.

Anyone actually use Project Manager? I need to, and I sure try to, but it's broken as well. And it seems worse in 2015 than ever before.

On the Yes side...

Numerous, often humble, improvements have been made to Premiere since v6. Examples: + or - dB now moves all audio keyframes up and down as well (didn't used to). The four-point edit can finally be set to ignore Sequence Out point in 2015. The Lumetri Color panel is very simple and powerful (it has been bug-free for me so far).

Premiere is a really slick program when it works. But Adobe truly needs to stop adding features and put all their resources into stabilizing it.

Jon Hornbacher
EditSquid

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 10, 2015 at 6:15:03 pm

[Jon Hornbacher] "Premiere is a really slick program when it works. But Adobe truly needs to stop adding features and put all their resources into stabilizing it."

While new features are nice with any software bug fixes should be up the list of priorities.

One bug that I did encounter was with the try out version of Premiere Pro, decided not for me as of yet. I went to uninstall but kept getting a message about Log Transport 2, so decided to log out then back in, problem solved.

To all software developers, not just Adobe, please address bug issues first. New features are important but stability should be top priority.

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Jul 10, 2015 at 8:02:44 pm

Yeah, it's this idea that EVERYONE knows that dynamic links don't work. Instead of fixing that, Adobe is screwing around with morph cut. Everything seems geared towards marketing and getting new users.

If I had an Adobe person here for one week of a hard editing, I could show them the issues in person. Instead they seem to test in Ivory Towers with clean systems. There is seemingly little concern for the real world users.

Now after all that complaining, I should say that the software is GREAT most of the time. I love it!

But I hate the apparent lack of concern over bugs and the apparent slavery toward marketing deadlines, something we were promised was a thing of the past.

Lance

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 10, 2015 at 8:15:46 pm

I forgot to mention the UI as well but that has been improved a little bit. Watching to see what BMD does with Resolve, could be a game changer. I do like Photoshop , though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]