FORUMS: list search recent posts

2010 Mac Pro... How will it handle the Creative Cloud?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddy Weinberg
2010 Mac Pro... How will it handle the Creative Cloud?
on Jul 3, 2015 at 12:44:53 am

Hi all,

I'm a freelance editor transition from an FCP 7/Motion environment to a Premier/After Effects world.

One of my gigs is already running Premier so I'm familiar enough. The After Effects stuff I'm expecting is more titling and text than true motion graphics. Smaller projects.

I am in the process of purchasing a used tower with the specs below. Will this system be powerful enough to handle standard hd codecs and some green screen stuff. Will Creative Cloud run ok?
Weigh in all you want the system specs are below.

3.06GHz 6-core / Original Westmere 5,1 2010+ model
1x 1TB 7200RPM hard drive
NVIDIA GTX GTX680 2GB
16GB 1333MHz RAM (4x 4GB)

Thanks,

Freddy J

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: 2010 Mac Pro... How will it handle the Creative Cloud?
on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:02:51 am

I have a Mac Pro similar to that (mine is an '09) and it runs what I throw at it adequately (mainly short form projects using long GOP media). The NVIDIA GTX GTX680 2GB is long in the tooth so I'd suggest upgrading it but doubling the RAM would be my first priority. AE especially will chew through as much RAM as you throw at it. What are you going to be using for media storage?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 3, 2015 at 3:55:55 pm

I agree with Andrew's suggestions. You can also help performance by changing the boot drive to a 1TB SSD.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Freddy Weinberg
on Jul 3, 2015 at 5:54:37 pm

I do have another option which i am leaning towards.
Rather than getting an older tower. I have the ability to buy a hopped up 2014 macbook pro. This is outfitted very high end with dual graphics cards. My laptop is at the end of its life (2009 macbook pro) and buying this machine and a 24 inch monitor may "kill two birds with one stone"

The laptop is spec'd out below

15 15.4 inchApple Macbook Pro
Mid 2014 retina model
2.5 i7 quadcore (upgraded)
Dual graphics cards, NVIDIA 750m 2GB a Intel IRIS Pro
512GB flash storage hard drive
16GB 1600MHz RAM memory
Thunderbolt
Yosemite OS
Mint condition
Applecare remaining for 5 months

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 5, 2015 at 3:47:02 pm

[Freddy Weinberg] "This is outfitted very high end with dual graphics cards."

It should be pointed out that you don't get the performance of "dual graphics cards" like you would from a SLI dual GPU. You have the internal Intel Iris GPU for when you are on battery and not stressing the GPU needs of the system, and you have the 750M for when you need the power. The two absolutely do not work in tandem.

The only Mac with legitimate dual GPUs are the Mac Pros.

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Jul 7, 2015 at 3:27:16 pm

Apple is really wowing us with their innovation! Their "current" Mac Pros feature almost 2 year old tech at the same price as when they were released.

Being able to sell 2 year old computer technology at new technology prices is an amazing innovation!

Lance

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Jul 24, 2015 at 10:58:21 pm

I have a 2008 Mac Pro with 32GB of memory, a 480gb ssd system drive, and a Nvidia GTX680 graphics card. Premiere runs excellent. With Premiere the better the graphics card, the better it will run.

Greg Jones
D7 Inc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]