FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe might be about to get Nuke(d)

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Adobe might be about to get Nuke(d)
on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:18:24 am

It looks like Adobe will put in a £200 Million bid for the Foundry, makers of Nuke.

http://www.cityam.com/214525/adobe-eyes-200m-foundry-bid

Interestingly it seems like their new 3D sketch product Modo is the one that Adobe wants most. Unless this story is leaked to get Autodesk to pull money out of their pocket...?

In any case, if Adobe makes the jump will CC users be getting the $9,900 Production Collective as part of the base CC package - or would that be too disrupting for the Foundry's current client base?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Adobe might be about to get Nuke(d)
on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:33:16 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Unless this story is leaked to get Autodesk to pull money out of their pocket...?"

This is the same thing I've been wondering. However, Autodesk is a bit all over the map right now in terms of company focus and direction. So it seems like they could run out and purchase The Foundry for no rhyme or reason. Or ADSK could really integrate Nuke into their other high-end software packages - Smoke, Flame, and Shotgun. Depends on which ADSK shows up at board meeting!

Thinking from a managerial standpoint, having Shotgun be able to track shots from ingest to 3D (Maya) to composite (Nuke) to finish (Smoke/Flame) would be very appealing and powerful. Yet, I get the sense that ADSK increasingly doesn't know where to position Smoke or Flame in a rapidly evolving market - both technologically and business model wise. Technologically, because it's becoming more and more difficult to demand a ADSK certified Linux system when off the shelf components in Mac or Windows could work just as fast or better provided there was an option to run Flame on other hardware. Business mode wise, because ADSK seems torn between perpetual license with maintenance or outright subscription (Smoke). Further, I would point to their reversal on Smoke acting as a Flame prep station when they broke compatibility between the two programs and came out with Flame Assist instead to protect their high-end market. Smoke is seemingly stuck wandering in the desert right now. Less people are using it, and many Smoke artists can't charge like they once could as ADSK has pushed the price down so much that the tool is losing (lost?) it's high-end status. Flame still seems to retain that status though...but for how long?

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "In any case, if Adobe makes the jump will CC users be getting the $9,900 Production Collective as part of the base CC package - or would that be too disrupting for the Foundry's current client base?"

I can't imagine Adobe would just toss in Nuke into CC, especially for the reason you note. The cost of a single license of Nuke runs about $4K, with an additional maintenance subscription of $1K (US Dollars). If the bid happens (and goes through...currently it's just a rumor) I'd be most interested to see how Adobe handles support for Nuke users. Currently, I believe the Foundry has a very high reputation for prompt, problem-solving support. I don't think Adobe enjoys that luxury currently! :-)

Ultimately, I can see Adobe trying to do this as it would give them a foothold into the high-end market of video production - the area reserved for more niche companies like Autodesk, Avid, Filmlight, Assimilate, etc. That looks good on your resume when you can point to all the film and TV shows utilizing your equipment (like the boost Adobe got from Gone Girl or FCPX from Focus). But that's also a very fickle, hard to please market. One that seems to run a bit counter to the mass subscription approach Adobe has adopted.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Apr 27, 2015 at 7:52:29 pm

Hey Ryan,

Very good assessment of the situation with Autodesk.

[Ryan Holmes] "Smoke is seemingly stuck wandering in the desert right now. Less people are using it, and many Smoke artists can't charge like they once could as ADSK has pushed the price down so much that the tool is losing (lost?) it's high-end status. Flame still seems to retain that status though...but for how long?"

I was one of the people who had a number of discreet edit* systems, which got killed off with no real warning. Which also left me never wanting a Smoke.

However, if I was Adobe I would not necessarily see Discreet effects and finishing systems as a competitor, as both PPro and AE with better processors and continuous software improvements will give those systems a run for their money.

However, as others have suggested on this forum; Blackmagic's freemium model with Resolve and Fusion might be something of a game changer. Would it be worth £200 Million for Adobe to get all of the I/P of Foundry + as a "spanner in the works" offer an entry level Nuke software for free?

Also, why is Carlyle looking to sell the Foundry now? If the company really have tripled in value over only 4 years - where is that "bonus" hidden?

As you too suggest, this PR is generated to ramp up the price of the product. Question is whether Adobe is desperate enough to add to their lineup (unless they have examined the I/P), or whether Autodesk would know what to do with it? Not to mention that there are companies like Avid, Quantel, Disney and others that one should not dismiss from a potential bidding war.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 4, 2015 at 1:29:02 am

do you think dobe has 4 million master collection subscriptions?

adobe still sells cs6 and makes a huge profit from it infact without adobe cs6. they would have much lower earnings.

anyway as i said nuke is going to help them position cc in the high end. all others will not be in adobes sight. the money they could make on nuke will greatly incline cc to that market.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 4, 2015 at 8:57:06 am

[Ricardo Marty] "do you think dobe has 4 million master collection subscriptions?

adobe still sells cs6 and makes a huge profit from it infact without adobe cs6. they would have much lower earnings."

I don't think anything. I prefer to base my opinions on facts, rather than guess-work. From their latest statement Adobe has nearly 4 million subscribers to their cloud services. Their projection is to get to 6 million by the end of the current financial year. The Marketing Cloud is doing very well and I would not be surprised if the document cloud over time, was to do equally well.

However, as per my previous post (below), my question in response to your post mentioning "12 million p licences" was:
"Did Adobe sell 12 million CS6 licensees?"

It would be nice if you were to expand on your numbers and how you got to them?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 4, 2015 at 3:59:28 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on May 4, 2015 at 4:02:17 pm

So the 4 m Subscriptions look a bit poor in my eyes.
And they don´t tell us anymore, how many of these subscriptions are PS only or point products.
And - who knows - as they own fotolia now - wil they add all that users ;)

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 4, 2015 at 4:53:58 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "So the 4 m Subscriptions look a bit poor in my eyes."

Actually, it does not. The numbers you are using are more than 2 years old, so can't really be called "up to date".

However, if one was to look at the statistics of those 2 year old numbers, then they tell an interesting story:
CS6 was launched April 2012. 9 months later, there are still 7.2 million CS3-5.5 suites and point products in the market who have not made the upgrade.

That 7.2 million products are not part of Adobe's core customers, as they are evidently not upgrading every time a new version comes out.

By lowering the overall cost of annual maintenance of the Adobe product range, this should be a financial incentive for those 7.2 million to on-board - or not, if they are happy with the old version and have no need to upgrade.
Which brings the numbers back to CS6 registered users v that of CC. However, as your data is over 2 years old, and that we don't know the churn rate for new arrivals or upgrades, we can only speculate on who has, and who has not made the transition. But from the slide you present, Adobe have not lost 12 million customers. If anything, there is a potential of 3 million current users that could be converted.

Do keep in mind that the last couple of full CS releases (not including 5.5) was made on average approximately every two years. So by offering more frequent updates at an smaller annual or monthly cost, then I would suggest that the CC platform is a vastly superior to that of the old CS releases - and offers a more stable revenue forecast for Adobe the company.
Not that I think that you will agree with me on that ;-)

[Rainer Schubert] "who knows - as they own fotolia now - wil they add all that users"

They probably will - why not sell more CC packages if there are a ready made new audience for them? :-D

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 4, 2015 at 6:29:40 pm

Hi Mads

I uploaded only, because you are interested in Ricardos Numbers.
And Yes, the numbers are from 2 years ago.
Adobe doesn´t provide them any longer (or I can´t find them).
They also don´t provide information how many of their 4 mill Cloud-Subscribers are on point-products.
Till Q1/2014 they made more profit with CS than CC.
Btw, your Math: Think, you can start at Adobe Marketing ;)

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 4, 2015 at 8:37:52 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "I uploaded only, because you are interested in Ricardos Numbers."

I do appreciate you uploading that graphic to help explain Ricardo's numbers, although out of date - thank you.

[Rainer Schubert] "Adobe doesn´t provide them any longer (or I can´t find them).
They also don´t provide information how many of their 4 mill Cloud-Subscribers are on point-products."

Can't say that I blame them, as their old numbers are clearly been turned against them. However, this is a time based game of investors being willing to wait v Adobe reaching critical mass in numbers. However, Adobe is getting some big players to sit up and take notice; this can only be a good thing for the development of their cloud services.
(In case you are interested from last week: Adobe Expands Strategic Partnership With Microsoft to Deliver Superior Customer Experiences http://blogs.adobe.com/digitaleurope/digital-marketing/adobe-expands-strate...)

Nevertheless, what matters is how many customers Adobe can get to sign up on any of their subscription based services, and whether they can keep offering a service that will keep those customers happy.

[Rainer Schubert] "Btw, your Math: Think, you can start at Adobe Marketing ;)"

Thank you, I will take that as a compliment. If they knock my door, I may try and sell you and me as a team. Do you want to be Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde? :-D

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 5, 2015 at 4:09:16 am

"Adobe Expands Strategic Partnership With Microsoft to Deliver Superior Customer Experiences"

Had to laugh at that.

Adobe+Microsoft Customer Experience = Terrible squared

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 5, 2015 at 12:39:59 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Adobe+Microsoft Customer Experience = Terrible squared"

I suppose that you would need to be in the cloud to enjoy those experiences, or even be able to evaluate them ;-)

However, if you enjoyed that, this interview may be of interest to you too:
"The Great Misconception of Digital Marketing is that you need Fewer People – Ann Lewnes, Adobe"
http://tfmainsights.com/the-great-misconception-of-digital-marketing-is-tha...

Will this be the future of what we do, and how we do it?
Or will a new generation of digital creators merged with marketing skills be taking the jobs?

enjoy

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:16:40 pm

I believe the original article appeared in the Sunday Times. It is entirely speculative, and quite badly written and researched. Modo is NOT a "new sketch product" - it is a powerful 3d application, with some of the best (polygonal) 3d modeling tools in the industry.

"Adobe is also interested in a new programme released by The Foundry called Modo, a piece of concept design technology allowing designers to sketch products in 3D before manufacturing."

What a load of hogwash - whoever did the research on this article should be let go.

I have a feeling this article has been planted by someone.

It would be a terrible thing if Adobe acquires the Foundry. If anything, Adobe has an abysmal track record for anything 3d software related. Modo's development would enter the glacial age, and then be left to slowly rot and die. In my opinion.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:11:43 pm

Hey Herbert,

I'm guessing that you are not in favor of this potential development...? Sunday Times is behind a pay-wall, but somewhere hidden in the background someone must be doing some PR work either to inflate the price or destroy the deal.

[Herbert van der wegen] "It would be a terrible thing if Adobe acquires the Foundry. If anything, Adobe has an abysmal track record for anything 3d software related. Modo's development would enter the glacial age, and then be left to slowly rot and die. In my opinion."

Actually, I disagree. Adobe's purchase of software such as Macromedia have been IMHO very successful for the company. And with the new animation tool about to be released in the CC package, it makes sense to beef up offerings with something like Modo.

See it from Adobe's point of view: If they can include the mojo ;-) of Modo and Nuke into CC for a small outlay of £200 Million, then this in turn may add a couple of extra million subscribers, which is what the company needs in its current financial year. Which makes the price of the Foundry small change in the picture of an added $940,000,000 worth of annual revenue - if they can get those kind of numbers to subscribe...

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:01:04 am

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Adobe's purchase of software such as Macromedia have been IMHO very successful for the company."

The difference between the 2 different perspectives on Adobe's behavior defined.

"...very successful for the company" are not words I use very often.

In a normal market, where companies respond to market trends and customers wishes, the issue is defined by what is successful for the customer, not the company...

Oh and BTW, the purchase of Macromedia was a disaster. IMHO....

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Apr 28, 2015 at 8:53:57 am

[Chris Pettit] "In a normal market, where companies respond to market trends and customers wishes, the issue is defined by what is successful for the customer, not the company...

Oh and BTW, the purchase of Macromedia was a disaster. IMHO...."

I think that you forgot to mention that the definition of a customer is someone who spends money with the company. In the case of Cloud computing and how that market is evolving, I think that we can agree that Adobe is following the trend ;-)

However, it is a double edged sword - if the company doesn't evolve and innovate, the customers will move their business elsewhere. On the other side, the management of the company have a duty to the shareholders (investors) to give them the best possible return on their investment. The tricky part is to do that whilst keeping customers happy.

In the case of Macromedia the company Adobe in 2005 swapped $3.4 billion worth of their shares in return for all of the shares of Macromedia. At a time where the shares was worth less than half of what they are today. In that picture, the potential Foundry deal in cost, is equal to a round of drinks in the Friday bar...

Despite the arrival of HTML-5 to take on Flash and CMS systems such as Wordpress to take on Dreamweaver, those products are still strong in the market place - a large amount of applications (such as games) are still Flash based. And websites are still being produced in Dreamweaver.

Surely, a customer of Adobe would not continue to use those tools if they did not generate a revenue for them?
And same goes for Adobe, they will continue to make upgrades to those software packages as long as there are customers who wants to use them.

So IMHO, the purchase (stock swap) of Macromedia was and is a proven success.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:30:06 pm

[Herbert van der wegen] "It would be a terrible thing if Adobe acquires the Foundry. If anything, Adobe has an abysmal track record for anything 3d software related. Modo's development would enter the glacial age, and then be left to slowly rot and die. In my opinion."

I guess the question is really: who buys The Foundry. The Carlyle Group IS selling it. So who buys it? Blackmagic? AJA? Adobe? Autodesk? Avid? Apple? Quantel? Grass Valley? There's only a handful of companies that can pay that kind of money for The Foundry. It seems like Adobe is one of the better options from my point of view.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "However, as others have suggested on this forum; Blackmagic's freemium model with Resolve and Fusion might be something of a game changer. Would it be worth £200 Million for Adobe to get all of the I/P of Foundry + as a "spanner in the works" offer an entry level Nuke software for free?"

I was reading Tim Wilson's thoughts on this same thing (see here for his post) and it's a fair point. BMD's business model (as is Apple's and likely Avid's) is to subsidize your software sales with hardware sales (BMD sells switchers, converters, recorders, color panels, cameras, etc). So BMD can "afford" to lose money in the software since many of those same people are likely buying their hardware. Adobe and Autodesk are really just software companies. So "the race to the bottom" in terms of pricing (not quality) can be scary as it could keep potential small companies from entering the market and creating competition.

Additionally, for many Autodesk users (and I'm assuming Foundry users here as well) the idea of commoditized software is not enticing to them. So the idea of Nuke or Flame being available to everybody erodes some of the caché of the product. To be a Smoke artist or a Flame artist is fairly elite territory - partly based on the cost of ownership, partly based on the complexity of the software, partly based on the demands of the hardware, and partly because those users over time have attempted to set themselves apart from an After Effects user, or Motion user.

If Adobe buys Foundry it'll be interesting to see how development transitions. Nuke presumably would benefit from the always updated nature of Creative Cloud. Users may (or may not) be benefited from a price reduction, some would be excited to save money while others would be upset that anybody with $50/month can now learn/use a $5K application (though I'd be surprised if Adobe didn't start to break out a video component to Creative Cloud with this purchase. Would print, web, or photography people really want to pay more per month because Adobe added Nuke?).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:52:56 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "Additionally, for many Autodesk users (and I'm assuming Foundry users here as well) the idea of commoditized software is not enticing to them. So the idea of Nuke or Flame being available to everybody erodes some of the caché of the product."

[Ryan Holmes] "Users may (or may not) be benefited from a price reduction, some would be excited to save money while others would be upset that anybody with $50/month can now learn/use a $5K application"

Both good points. We have already seen what happened to top end editing platforms when Apple put FCP into the market. There is still a market at the high-end, but everybody in the middle and some in the low-end got slaughtered.

However, those 1,000 users of Nuke (and those using Flame etc) have one thing that the low end can't offer - money, which = time. To make movies such as the Guardians of the Galaxy you need a serious amount of project management, creativity and money. I am guessing that the lower end of the market don't have the money to acquire the skills or use them (no disrespect intended to anyone), hence the end product itself will always be capable of offering more. I would also suggest that those large FX companies are spending more money on talent and render-farms, than they are on the software.

If anything, anyone that can automate the creative making of FX intensive Hollywood blockbusters will be more of a threat to the high-end work spaces than lowering the prices of software - although this may not happen in our life-time.

Like Adobe is developing its marketing cloud and other offerings, Autodesk has CAD, so neither may be desperate enough to add the Foundry - unless they in turn need to appease their shareholders with a "bit of action".

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on Apr 27, 2015 at 9:07:29 pm

I think they want it because they want to keep competition small. and if they get it the chances are good that adobe will let the software die over the years, as they did with most of macromedias stuff. Adobe software is successful, because it never exeeds a certain level of complexity, so that a lot of people can handle it. but with node based compositing as well as with a full fledged 3d software things are getting to complex for the average user. these are things you have to specialize in and the whole cc concept is about generalization.

the Foundry has a lot of know how. enough to compete to photoshop if they want to develope one (or who ever buys them) and adobe doesn't want black magic to get it.

I think that is the point. they really dont't want BM to get it. because then we would have a real competitor for adobe.

it is less a "hey this is software that we need" but more "this is a software that we dont't want anybody else to get"

I hope that someone else wins the bid.
or at least that I am wrong and adobe has a plan for this software. it would be a pity to see it die.

best regards

Florian Sepp visual arts
http://www.floriansepp.com

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 28, 2015 at 1:10:45 am
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Apr 28, 2015 at 1:31:40 am

I think adobe has come to realize that they will never get the market it once had and is looking at the high end where money nor permancy are not issues, so a pipeline into the big leagues is adobes only chance of expanding and getting a higher cc fee.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
on May 3, 2015 at 3:33:14 am

You are dreaming.

Adobe have made huge in roads into the post prod market and captured a substantial new user base...and done so by doing exactly this.

Acquiring technology and building it into a democratised product at a lower cost than others provided.

Have you seen the cost of Nuke plus maintenance.? Compare it to cost of full Adobe CC suite.

Yeah I know..."but you don't own it". blah blah blah....

You never own software..you only use it under licence.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro Production Premium Suite
Windows 7-64 bit:Assus P6T Deluxe Mob, 24 GB BM SDI Decklink, . HD Workflows

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 3, 2015 at 3:28:23 pm

[Craig Howard] Yeah I know..."but you don't own it". blah blah blah....
"You never own software.."

Yeah I know… "You never own software..." blah blah blah
But I own the license.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 3, 2015 at 5:31:49 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "But I own the license."

Shouldn't that be: You own the right to use the license? ;-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 3, 2015 at 4:50:29 pm

huge inroads maybe but nothing close to 12 million p licences

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 3, 2015 at 5:30:41 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "12 million p licences"

Of what? Premiere Pro v.1? or?

Did Adobe sell 12 million CS6 licensees?
And was this stand-alone or packaged software?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on May 4, 2015 at 1:59:42 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on May 4, 2015 at 2:01:19 pm

12,8 mil paid licenses of CS (4-6) till May 2013
(And they sold a lot more after that date. In 2013 they made more profit with CS than with CC).
Above 8.4 Mil where Suites, rest point products.
CS6 was sold 5.9 Mil times at that date.
(MAX Handout at May, 2013)
Pirates not counted.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 4, 2015 at 4:07:04 pm

of the 4 milion cc, only about 60% are full versions thas about 2.4 million.

the remaning are one app deals or ps.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on May 5, 2015 at 9:30:25 am

and considering, that the net Income dropped from 222M 2013 to 85M today. I cant see how one could define the switch a success.

https://ycharts.com/companies/ADBE/net_income

the market seems starting to realize it as adobe shares perform worse then nasdaq for the last quater.

Florian Sepp visual arts

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 5, 2015 at 1:04:46 pm

Hey Florian,

Happy to assist your number crunching.

[Florian Sepp] "and considering, that the net Income dropped from 222M 2013 to 85M today. I cant see how one could define the switch a success.

https://ycharts.com/companies/ADBE/net_income

the market seems starting to realize it as adobe shares perform worse then nasdaq for the last quater."

So I just this this screen capture for you from Yahoo Finance (Your ycharts.com link requires me to subscribe in order to expand it - which is weird, as I didn't think you would be subscribing to anything online...?)

Note this about share growth:
Nasdaq (IXIC) the Red line, has since 1986 pretty much stayed the same.
Apple (AAPL) the Green Line, has since 1986 grown, not quite, but close to 20,000%.
Adobe (ADBE) the Blue Line, has since 1986 grown nearly 35,000%. Not only that, the trend for Adobe is still steeper upwards in growth of share, than that of Apple.

Let me ask you this: With the above information at hand, which company would be the best performing company for any investor interested in the long term?
Rather than your example of the last three months?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on May 5, 2015 at 5:31:57 pm

thanks for that interesting view on the situation. sorry... i was not aware of any subscription on the linked website.

I guess taking the developement from 1986 on, as a base for a financial decision today might be risky.

but talking about longer term development.

besides a one-off in the first quarter 2009 adobe didn't have a worse net income than today since Q3 2003 (well till the switch to CC Q1 2013)

actually besides the stock price there is not much that today business wise is better then before the switch.
the question is can they ever fetch up with the business numbers they had before, and how long will it take. for subscription numbers it seems they might be able to in a couple of years. for the net profit... well it just goes sideways ... at round about 30 to 40% of what it was before. and that with a well going marketing cloud, without they'd have a problem. we don't even know how much of that profit is still CS driven, as they still sell it.
but even if adobe in 3 years gets the subscriber count of cs licenses 2013 (the only number that we have) we always assume,that the cs business would have stagnated for 5 years.

besides the understandable fact that there are people that like the cloud as a model for them. till now no one was able to convince me that going just for the cloud was a healthy decision economically or a necessary one technically. I am not talking about the market, that just needs someone to present them a new idea to run their carousel. as we can see in the numbers there is no real fact that the switch to just CC was a healthy decision. I am prying for numbers that prove the real positive economic significance of killing CS, not the stock price.

best regards
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 5, 2015 at 8:11:01 pm
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on May 5, 2015 at 8:20:36 pm

Hey Florian,

Without a doubt Adobe has a very high mountain to climb in order to prove the case for Cloud only based services. So I am not diminishing your overall point of view.

Do you know the saying: "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics)

[Florian Sepp] "besides a one-off in the first quarter 2009 adobe didn't have a worse net income than today since Q3 2003 (well till the switch to CC Q1 2013)"

According to Ycharts.com: "Net income is what remains of a company's revenue after subtracting all costs. It is also referred to as net profit, earnings, or the bottom line. Net Income that is not paid out in dividends is added to retained earnings."

As we already know, Adobe have in their last stated quarter (ending February 27th, 2015) purchased https://en.fotolia.com/ and authorized a stock-buyback program of up to $2 billion, to run over the next three years. For the savvy investor, net income becomes a minor part of the overall equation - unless you are only in the game to make earnings, rather than growth. In which case a company (ADBE) that have consistently increased their Research Development expenditure from $742 Million in 2012 to $844 Million in 2014 and continuing to do so, is not a company you should invest in - the Adobe stock is for the long term, and for value of the stock, rather than instant earnings.

However, back to judging how Adobe is doing right now, we should rather be looking at the company's "Total Revenue":

For the financial year of 2014 (Ending Nov 28th, 2014) it was:
$ 4,147,065,000

For the last 4 quarters (Ending Feb 27th, 2015):
$ 4,256,126,000

Already up: $ 109,061,000

If this trends continues for 2015, then it would not be a surprise if the company generated more revenue this year, than in 2012 ($ 4,404 Billion) - incidentally the year that Adobe launched CS6 (edit: and was the highest ever performing year since 2004).

However, the investors would still like to see 6 million subscribers...

[Florian Sepp] " till now no one was able to convince me that going just for the cloud was a healthy decision economically or a necessary one technically."

Fair point. But Adobe's ever increasing R&D expenditure + how they are integrating CC into their marketing cloud and document cloud + all of the I/P from the companies they are acquiring, should convince you to have a good look at CC.

Although, if you don't need any of the new stuff, then as you say: There will be no incentive for you to make the move. This is where Adobe in the past found themselves stuck, as it is hard to get a happy CS3 or 4 customer to move to CS6 - whereas on the CC, we are all in it together... ;-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 5, 2015 at 9:28:07 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "As we already know, Adobe have in their last stated quarter (ending February 27th, 2015) purchased https://en.fotolia.com/ ...."

The Fotolia purchase is not often discussed in these parts, but is very important to keep an eye on. It was an $800 million deal, all cash.

One reason why it made sense as a cash deal is that Adobe had the cash (of course), but also that Fotolia is a moneymaker, and will start paying for itself almost immediately. Additionally, it raises the overall value proposition of Creative Cloud.

Another reason is that Adobe wants to aggregate stock. It has been amply debated around here whether this is a sign of confidence or a shell game, with me falling firmly on the side of "sign of confidence," at least in this case.

And as Mads (and Yahoo) point out, Adobe tech stock has been a very wise long-term investment, and for the last several years, accelerating more quickly than the supposed APPL of Wall Street's eyes.

I really love the Fotolia deal, and I'm a huge fan of Adobe buying The Foundry at the right price, but both underscore the critical point that Mads raises: Net is what's left after expenses, and Adobe's expenses are being spent in the right places, on increased R&D to extend Creative Cloud's capabilities, and on acquisitions that will immediately start paying for themselves in ways that will also increase add value to Creative Cloud's offerings.

Good business.

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on May 6, 2015 at 7:32:40 am

thanks for your interesting reply. even thou you missed to prove that the all into the cloud strategy has any advantages for anybody (besides the markets maybe) you raised some interesting points.

I also believe, that investing into the development is good and necessary for a tech company. but it is somehow funny to define this as a argument for the cloud. right when adobe switched to cloud only many people said that this is a necessary step because adobe is not able to invent enough to motivate customers to switch to the newest version (which is by the way the concession that the cloud is just about moneymaking). this implies that before CC only everything was done to make new CS versions as attractive as possible. as we see now it wasn't. and now the fact that more is invested into research is not used as an argument that cc doesn't have the fascination for customers that was predicted but that these investments are, in a magical way, somehow of more value for CC than they would have been for CS.

about the stock-buyback. well even the biggest players at wall street start to realize, that these programs are more about the bonuses and short therm effects then about a healthy development of the company. BlackRock CEO Larry Fink wrote a letter to the heads of every S&P 500 company about this.

about blackrock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackRock
the letter: http://www.businessinsider.com/larry-fink-letter-to-ceos-2015-4?IR=T

for the total revenue of adobe. well it is not at all that bad as the net profit, but as it is lower then in CS times, it hardly can be used as an argument for the necessity or success of the switch.

i think, looking form a customers side of view, it is save to say, that having choices is better then getting forced into one licensing model (even thou alternatives where possible). and considering that we still didn't find a compelling argument why this change is good for the company (leaving out the stock price) it for me is save to say, that the switch to mandatory CC was a success. and then we have to discuss the sense in that.
investors might have of course a different point of view. but on the other hand they will have made their share even when a shortsighted strategy will harm company and customers. well the customers (those who don't like CC) are harmed already :)

best regards
Florian

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Do you know the saying: "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"?"
thanks for the wikipedia link :)
introducing this phrase into the argument of course makes it ambitious to support any argument of any side ;)

Florian Sepp visual arts

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 6, 2015 at 10:06:09 am
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on May 6, 2015 at 10:07:37 am

Hey Florian,

No problem, you are very welcome.

Just for the record, I never set out to prove that Adobe's cloud strategy is better than that of the previous strategy of releasing "box sets". However, I do not think that Adobe has met the Doom & Gloom that some of the naysayers here would like them to have done. If anything, IMHO the high quality of development and impressive stream of improvements on the CC products, have proved them wrong.

[Florian Sepp] "the fact that more is invested into research is not used as an argument that cc doesn't have the fascination for customers that was predicted but that these investments are, in a magical way, somehow of more value for CC than they would have been for CS."

Well, ehm, actually, No - Adobe's investment in R&D have no bearing on how the customer uses CS or CC daily, as the R&D is in to functionalities that we have yet to experience. In effect, you would not sell a design or a video or website to a customer, based on speculative tool-sets that you do not have.

The elevation of Adobe products to CC is more a question of generating steady income stream for Adobe, which in turn will allow the company to put more investment into R&D, which in the long term will provide a superior suite of products. This is what will drive customer happiness = investor happiness.

However, if I was to be critical of Adobe's strategy: For a company that is able to cut out their physical distribution, they should be spending at least 25% total revenue on R&D - and much more money on local direct customer support.

[Florian Sepp] "about the stock-buyback. well even the biggest players at wall street start to realize, that these programs are more about the bonuses and short therm effects then about a healthy development of the company."

The stock-buyback in the case of Adobe could actually be a smart way of getting rid of short term/profit earnings investors only, by offering them a way out at a reasonable price for their stock. Whilst the company can continue in peace with the migration from box-sets to cloud services. In effect, the company is returning money to those investors who have no patience.

[Florian Sepp] "for the total revenue of adobe. well it is not at all that bad as the net profit, but as it is lower then in CS times, it hardly can be used as an argument for the necessity or success of the switch."

Interesting point of view, although the last 12 months of Adobe trading is the second best "year" ever for Adobe, after that of 2012. If you look at their Income Statement for the last 4 quarters, you will see that Adobe is increasing spending in each sector on "Research Development", whilst in comparison making larger cuts to "Selling General and Administrative" activities. So more money is put in to the front-end that the customer will benefit from. Whilst I am guessing that the removal of box-sets sales, will bring large scale savings to the business.

[Florian Sepp] "i think, looking form a customers side of view, it is save to say, that having choices is better then getting forced into one licensing model (even thou alternatives where possible)."

Each customer will have their view on whether CC is an improvement over the CS offering. My view is that CC is a vast improvement over that of CS, and that although it is still early days, the scope of what can already be done with CC vindicates Adobe management for taking that bold decision. But that won't help those who does not wish to pay a monthly fee for using the tools. Where as those who do choose to pay the fee, is also investing into a creative eco-system second to none.

Do keep in mind, that if it wasn't for the game changer from Adobe, would we have seen Resolve, Fusion, Lightworks, Pro-Tools and Avid been offered for free? Or the collapse in RRP for those products?

Or if Adobe had not changed, would a CS7 (suites) had been killed off by those same tools being dished out for free, or at a much lower price point?

With a large number of corporate companies already endorsing and proving the business model of the Cloud/subscription model, Adobe had no choice but to follow them.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on May 7, 2015 at 11:07:45 am

thanks for your post,

I enyoj this discussion and I would like to response propperly. but unfortunately i now have little time, and to write longer texts in a foreign language that go further than samalltalk is always a time consuming challenge for me.

so maybe just some small statements:

-if you claim that the R&D expenses leed to good results and developements in CC I do not understand why the same expenses would't make a CS Bundle not more attractive.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "But that won't help those who does not wish to pay a monthly fee for using the tools. Where as those who do choose to pay the fee, is also investing into a creative eco-system second to none."
- I have no problems to pay for software regulaly. I for example have a MSA for Cinema 4D. It is about (as many others also say) the stop renting, loose access attitude of adobe.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Each customer will have their view on whether CC is an improvement over the CS offering."
- I have nothing against renting... actually it of course can be beneficial in special circumstances. it is about the lack of choice. I could well live with a offering that gives you access to those parts of the apps that can be installed and executed locally. Till now it seems, that this would be possible without much problems.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Do keep in mind, that if it wasn't for the game changer from Adobe, would we have seen Resolve, Fusion, Lightworks, Pro-Tools and Avid been offered for free? Or the collapse in RRP for those products?

Or if Adobe had not changed, would a CS7 (suites) had been killed off by those same tools being dished out for free, or at a much lower price point? "

- interesting point of view... and in some years we will maybe really say this and that then will imply, that adobe weekend itself.
But to be honest I found the situation before the change, where everyone had adobe because it was a very good deal for most of us, very enjoyable. There basically was no need for the vast majority to look into different software, and the exchange of open data was very easy.

best regards
Florian

Florian Sepp visual arts

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 7, 2015 at 7:03:59 pm

I have no issue renting, either as long as there is a clear exit strategy. I think Avid is taking the correct approach with their current model. You can exit out after the mandatory rent is up with the most current available version at time you take the off ramp. If my understanding is correct.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 10, 2015 at 8:04:51 am

If you first buy the perpetual licence from AVID, and choose not to pay annual upgrade fee - then you can stay at the current version. NOT if you rent.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 20, 2015 at 10:11:09 pm

Nuke, nuke.
Who's there?
No Adobe.
No Adobe who?
No, Adobe ain't gonna buy the Foundry.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/vfx-software-firm-foundry-so...

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 20, 2015 at 10:29:28 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Nuke, nuke.
Who's there?
No Adobe.
No Adobe who?
No, Adobe ain't gonna buy the Foundry."

Very good - made me laugh :-)

And it now makes sense why the share price of Adobe is rising so close to the $80 mark, which would be an all time high.

I wonder whether Adobe got upset about being ousted in the press as a potential suitor, or whether the new owner knows something that the rest of us doesn't know...?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Daniel McClintock
on May 21, 2015 at 1:12:24 am

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] " I wonder whether Adobe got upset about being ousted in the press as a potential suitor, or whether the new owner knows something that the rest of us doesn't know...?"

Or it could mean that Adobe has updates coming to its software that match Nuke. Hmmmm...

I say it's time to let the speculation (dramatic pause) begin!

-----------------------------

"Sometimes Life Needs a Cmd-Z!"

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on May 21, 2015 at 11:08:26 am

[Daniel McClintock] "Or it could mean that Adobe has updates coming to its software that match Nuke. Hmmmm..."

One would certainly hope so. Although I am guessing that the $312 Million will also be spent on developing new products in the VR space. This space seems to attract a lot of attention, but like teenagers making love "It is all talk, and no action" for the kind of money invested - not unlike what happened to stereoscopic production and tools and transmission.

Having said that: if Adobe can offer me a tool set that will allow me to publish straight to Microsoft HoloLens (https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us) or LEGO Dimensions (http://www.lego.com/en-gb/dimensions) then this could be the new media platform, that will leave VR stranded in 3D shoot-em up gaming only...

Just speculating - or making a wish-list for Adobe :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 21, 2015 at 3:12:12 pm

It would be cool if Adobe adopted a great 3d-engine, and integrated that into After Effects, instead of the mediocre integration of Cinema4D. But I wouldn't bet on it. Most likely we can just expect small changes in the next unknown iteration of video products (cc2016).

Adobe might offer some new kinds of publishing - but that would be another try to resurrect Flash...

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]