FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Replaces AT&T on the Dow Jones Industrials Index

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
Apple Replaces AT&T on the Dow Jones Industrials Index
on Mar 8, 2015 at 2:11:27 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Mar 8, 2015 at 2:56:28 am

Apple, the worlds most valuable company, has replaced AT&T on the 30 Industrials Index. Must be doing something right.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/business/dealbook/apple-to-replace-att-in...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Apple Replaces AT&T on the Dow Jones Industrials Index
on Mar 8, 2015 at 3:08:59 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Must be doing something right."

I think that would be the mass market, mobile consumer electronics.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 9, 2015 at 5:16:21 pm

Macs are selling at a brisker pace than PCs as well:

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 9, 2015 at 5:28:57 pm

They are, but I think Mac sales are something like 11% of Apple's bottom line where as iPhones are over 50% and iPads are around 20%. Big money is in mobile and the biggest growth potential is in wearables.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 9, 2015 at 5:32:19 pm

But once you are in the ecosystem there is a great deal of synergy across the board.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 9, 2015 at 7:24:37 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "But once you are in the ecosystem there is a great deal of synergy across the board."

True, but ultimately irrelevant for most people. Most people with iPhones are using iTunes on Windows. Indeed, you can trace the reversal of Apple's fortunes NOT to the introduction of iDevices, but to the introduction of iTunes for Windows, making iDevices available to the overwhelming majority of the world's users.

Going further, the problem with the adoption of Apple TV was its close tie to the Apple ecosystem. Very few people cared about the ability to watch their iTunes purchases on the big screen relative to the number of people who didn't buy TV from iTunes. Sure, things got better when Apple TV started supporting Netflix, but that was only true for people who owned Apple TV. It didn't incentive much of anyone to buy an Apple TV.

Quite the contrary. I own an Apple TV and can't remember the last YEAR I used it. Maybe the first year I bought it. Every single device I own, from my phone, to all my TVs and DVD players, provides more complete and more nimble access to the content I most care about, and I started using them all while Apple had its [blank] up its [blank] trying to jam me into their ecosystem.

With over half of Apple's revenue coming from iPhone, and about to go way up with wearables, the ONLY ecosystem they care about hooking anyone into is iTunes. "If you want the best iPhone experience, buy a Mac" is a disastrous message, and simply not true...which is why it has never been an Apple message. Never. Buying a Mac is too high a hill to climb, too big an obstacle to get around.

When did the "I'm a Mac" campaign stop? 2009, around the point at which iPhones became their biggest source of revenue.

The one and only place where this comes up is the Apple store...which accounts for around 20% of iPhone sales. Why? Because Apple can't even afford for its sales message to be integrated. The biggest iPhone physical sales interface is Walmart, which barely sells Macs, with NO messaging about iDevice/Mac integration. iPhones aren't even sold on the same part of the floor that Macs are. That's how Apple WANTS it. Ditto Best Buy, previously the #1 place to buy an iPhone, and still ahead of Apple stores.

There's a problem even with the iTunes ecosystem, and Apple is about to address it with their integration of Beats streaming: Spotify had PASSED iTunes to become the number one source of music revenue in Europe, which is where it was introduced years before it came to the US, and in the US, Spotify has been roaring through Apple's plummeting music business.

Apple didn't get into the music sales business to plummet in startingly rapid fashion. They play to win, which is why they bought Beats, who was otehrwise going to provide yet another vector in Apple falling behind the state of the art. It's another example, like Apple TV, where Apple was caught flat-footed by innovation aimed directly at Apple's aging business models, built around Apple's existing ecosystem.

The iTunes ecosystem for MUSIC isn't going away, any more than CDs are going away, but its relevance is declining so rapidly that breaking out of an iTunes SALES business has become crucial for Apple staying in the music game in the long run, or having even a shot at recovering the global high ground. Spending $3 billion to create a business opportunity that Apple's ecosystem was years away from providing organically is an indication of just how dire the situation was.

Expect that to change after WWDC when insiders suggest Apple will introduce Apple's streaming service. Me, I'm guessing an app rather than integrated with iTunes, but I'm not hanging my hate on it. I am willing to bet that it will come in for less than Spotify.

Not that it won't be pitched as available for Mac desktop computers at WWDC. Of course it will. That's Apple's one pitch for desktops all year. Spotify on a Mac is glorious, and, with its limitations, still much more satisfying than iTunes...and I'll wager that even if the first iteration of streaming Apple-ness is less compelling than Spotify, it won't be for long. But Spotify does even bigger business on mobile devices, and Apple does THEIR biggest business on mobile devices, so DEVICES are the battle front for Apple's future, with desktop integration barely relevant, and, after WWDC, as absent from Apple advertising as it is today...which is to say altogether absent.

So while Mac users experience the pleasures of integration, Apple's success depends on NOT pushing integration as a GOAL...because an integrated experience is NOT a goal, outside of iTunes itself.

One more note about Apple TV....it would be really, really interesting if Apple were to take the Beats platform and transform it into a VIDEO streaming service to take on Netflix head to head...and I bet for a couple of bucks less....but even then, I guaran-dang-tee you that it will not be limited to Apple TV, and it won't be presented as a value-add for Mac computers. It will be presented as an i-Experience, ready to be enjoyed on the iDevice of your choice, regardless of your computing platform...since Apple's bigger slice of a declining pie is obviously nothing near the priority of the iDevice pie, and for most of their iCustomers, irrelevant.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:37:11 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:54:39 pm

Tim, Apple has sold 25 million Apple TVs. A rather respectable number. I use mine daily, for Apple offerings and many others. HBO coming out first there I am sure was a calculated decision on their part. The whole cable market is beginning to be upset by streaming. Mac sales are up over 20% year over year, PC sales down 2%, Apple valuation hovering around $750 trillion mark, no other company even close. Even combinations of values by others in tech. Spotify pays their artists a pittance, millions of plays bring the artist a couple of hundred bucks. They should be making money with that model, artists are becoming furious. As an aside, my use of Apple products has almost nothing to do with iTunes, as I would imagine is the case for most creatives. I just think they make a superior OS running on what is to me, a superior device. Popular cultural implications not being a consideration.

It's pretty clear you have an anti Apple attitude. BTW, I suppose you can tell I like Apple and FCPX and wouldn't consider going back to Adobe (especially with the rental trap) for anything except occasional Photoshop (licensed), which I will probably replace with Affinity when it comes out of Beta. Windows is great for those who need or want it, but perhaps, as the editor, you might show a bit less bias. Said in the spirit of free debate, I am grateful for this forum.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:48:11 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "It's pretty clear you have an anti Apple attitude."

Quite the contrary. I think they've changed the world in ways that they never even get credit for. And are about to do so again, twice, in ways that most of the COW is fighting me on.

I'm working on an article now about the Apple car that I think has the potential to change the world far more than Apple phone did. I expect to get a lot of opposition from Apple faithful, but I'm going to be arguing vigorously that they're missing Apple's grand vision.

Jim, I argued that Beats was an absolutely critical purchase, both in that post, and in the X forum, even though most of that forum tried to shout me down.

Heck, I think the Apple watch is transformative, and I've been arguing for years that Apple NEEDS to do it, and they NEED to have meaningful models in the five-figure price range. I can't believe that you haven't seen me arguing vigorously in favor of this in the FCPX forum, which is by far the forum I post most often in.

And where I am arguing vigorously that the Apple faithful in that forum are missing Apple's grand vision.

For that matter, if you can find an earlier, more enthusiastic supporter of FCPX, please let me know. I even loudly and repeatedly supported Apple's immediate end of sales and support of FCP. You obviously missed my repeated and lengthy posts on this, saying that it would be studied in business schools for generations as exactly the RIGHT way to handle product introductions.

(For that matter, you'll likely not find a more enthusiastic or earlier proponent that Adobe has done everything right with moving subscription-only. I'm just an enthusiastic guy, Jim.)

You're entitled to your opinion about my opinion, but your view of the facts is simply mistaken. Not even close.

So I'm going to say that I'm in fact MORE enthusiastic about what Apple is up to, on more fronts, than anyone else in the COW. Again, I challenge you to find one person who is more so.

You already know by now that, like you, my relationship with Apple long precedes the Mac. I've talked about in the COW and its predecessor forum for 20 years now. (In fact, we celebrate 20 years of community-building in June!)

You apparently missed the part in that very last post where I have an Apple TV...and for that matter, an iPad and an iPhone.

But no Mac. Because Macs don't move the needle for me, even though I originally built my business on them, and used them exclusively until earlier this century.

Apple devices DO move the needle. So even though I USED to use Macs, I still feel very strongly about the value of integration -- just not with Macs as a necessary component, a fact I think most MAC users ignore, but most APPLE iCustomers are well aware of.

Apple knows that this HAS to be the case, or Apple is too dramatically limiting the reach of its most popular AND most profitable product, the iPhone.

Nothing about the iPhone experience on a PC feels so limiting that a Mac is even vaguely interesting. Even knowing the slickness of the Mac experience I've never found myself thinking, "Wow, if only I had a Mac, my iDevice experience would be so much better." For people not already using Macs, this never, ever comes up, which is exactly how Apple wants it. I don't think you can say I'm wrong until, like me, and like most iPhone customers, you've used an iPhone -- and iPod and iPad and Apple TV -- with a Mac nowhere in sight.

Hence my point that the argument of Apple's ecosystem including computers is fine for people who use Macs, but irrelevant for most of Apple's iCustomers.

My point is also observational. The only computer Apple advertises anymore is Macbook Air, and they NEVER include it in iDevice ads.

And when they advertise Air, they NEVER include reference to iDevices.

Because it's critical for Apple's success that they NOT place a $1000 barrier between loving iDevices enough to keep buying them vs. making people upset that they're not getting the 100% fullness of the iDevice experience until they spend another $1000 or more on a computer plus all the software to go o it. Apple would be shooting themselves in the wiener, and they don't do that. They'd be coming close enough to shooting themselves in the HEAD.

Leaving me exactly where I began: iDevice integration with Mac computers is a large part of what MAC customers enjoy, but is entirely irrelevant to what most APPLE customers enjoy.

I think it is another vector wherein MAC customers are simply missing out on Apple's grand vision, because they can't step away from their Macs long enough to see Apple's end game. Instead, they keep fighting it: fighting in on X, fighting it on Beats, fighting it on watches, and getting ready to fight it on cars.

But not me. Instead, I'm fighting Mac enthusiasts who are fighting Apple.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 9:02:55 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Mar 10, 2015 at 9:11:26 pm

Well after reading this, I have to say it doesn't come off the same way as your previous post here. I suppose I see Apple as primarily being the Mac, even though mobile has certainly become their major focus because of the profitability. 95% of my Apple experience has and probably will continue to be, on Macintoshes. Really only the Pro machines, though, my Mac Pro 2012 for flexibility and the late 2013 Tube for power, especially with FCPX, which you say you are a great advocate of. It was made for it, and it shows. I really like my iPhone 5S, will probably get the next model when it dies or I feel compelled, but the iPhone and the Air don't move my needle the way the Mac does because mobile just isn't where i spend my time and effort. My wife loves her Air and iPhone, though, so they hit that sweet spot for her. Do like viewing photos and reading/surfing on my iPad, though.

To be frank, my experience with Windows PCs has been less than stellar. I was the Avid dealer in Hawaii in the '90's (before Final Cut Legacy took hold) when you could actually make good money selling them. Mac based, very few problems. Also sold Media 100, same thing. Took on one product, Play Trinity, although a large portion of the problems with them (sold ten) was their semi-baked software. Windows, even on Intergraph workstations which I also sold with them, was a disaster for me. Could not wrap my head around the OS or the hardware configuration. Things that on the Mac seemed easy to me. Had more tech support problems with my customers on those systems than ten times as many Mac based Avids and Media 100's. Also, as an aside, my experience previous and since that time has been in broadcast, film and now digital media production, Chicago, SF and LA. Not just a box pusher. Production is my passion, but in Hawaii you have to be flexible when it comes to economic opportunities.

So if I misjudged your Apple attitude, I apologize. I like the Watch, too! Looking forward to the car article. Guess we just won't agree on Mac vs PC. Boy talk about a controversy with a long half life!

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 10, 2015 at 9:24:50 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "95% of my Apple experience has and probably will continue to be, on Macintoshes. "

Point taken! And you're quite right, we've taken different approaches on that front.

For the record, Windows makes me roll my eyes plenty. I just need more juice than any Mac can give me, for any price. It started when my development efforts at Boris FX began to focus on GPU performance, where Apple has always chosen to steer clear of the top end. The price-performance model skews the wrong way for Apple's liking, and most Mac users are fine with that. I'm fine with that on their behalf. LOL Horses for courses as they say.

Also for the record, Boris has no use for Windows. LOL Or did when I worked there. The hardest-core Mac guy you'll ever meet. He did one THOUSAND percent of his coding on Macs when I worked for him, and forced guys like me to test it on Windows -- and he had to threaten me in order to make me do it. LOL So it's not so much a love of Windows vs. Mac, not at all. Just the difference between 100% GPU honey vs. 75%. (Plus connectivity, processor speed, etc. Nothing you don't know.) Your mileage obviously varies, and that's cool.

[Jim Wiseman] "in Hawaii you have to be flexible when it comes to economic opportunities."

100% understood, and agreed.

But that's kind of my point. Mac guys view the world through Mac-colored glasses. As they should. But most of the world doesn't, and Apple wants to run the table. Running the device table means running the table for ALL computer users.

The point I've tried to make with watches, and will make with cars, is that Apple isn't ultimately in the computer business. Not in the phone business, not in the watch business. They're in the ENGAGEMENT business.

Really, the least engaging part of the phone is the PHONE, right? Nothing revolutionary with the PHONE. It's EVERYTHING ELSE.

But computers are indeed a key device of ENGAGEMENT for a lot of people, and the reason why they're gaining ground there is that they're focusing less and less on the computer part of the computing experience. LOL

I mean, the story of the BS years (Between Steve) is that Apple tried to fight on the putty-colored ground of Dell and Gateway. Yawn. Steve said, "leave that to them. I want to make cuddly iMacs." I sure as shit pre-ordered one. LOVED it. That was more game changing than the original Mac, imo.

So to your first point about integration centered around Mac, YES , to a Mac guy, that Mac-centered integration of the Apple ecosystem is the heart of your ENGAGEMENT.

But to somebody with an iDevice, their non-Mac-ness doesn't limit the ENGAGEMENT with the devices, or the ability of the device to ENGAGE them as customers, and Apple will scorch the product development and deployment earth to make sure this continues to be true.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 9, 2015 at 7:32:33 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "But once you are in the ecosystem there is a great deal of synergy across the board."

There most certainly is, though the need for having a Mac in the mix has diminished over the years thanks to the rise of The Cloud.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:39:13 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:46:15 pm

True, Andrew. It just seems that more and more just want a Mac in the mix.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:05:46 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "True, Andrew. It just seems that more and more just want a Mac in the mix."

I think it's an extension of outstanding branding and halo effect started with the iPod and continuing with the iPhone, iPad (and presumably the Watch too). Many people still need/want a computer of some sort so why not get one that matches their mobile devices and has Apple's cache? I think the Watch is the ultimate example of Apple's brand power. People will buy the the $17,000 Apple Watch for no other reason than it's a $17,000 watch made by Apple (even though it's functionally identical to the $350 Apple Watch).

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:28:10 pm

True. I personally am going for the $350 one. Bought a Timex for heart rate monitoring. Ugly as sin and died in two weeks. All the other functions will be a bonus. There are a lot of things I would rather spend 10k plus for, although I am sure there will be those that do.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]