FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speedgrade CS6 or Resolve 11 lite?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
Speedgrade CS6 or Resolve 11 lite?
on Mar 6, 2015 at 5:38:10 am

I thought it would be appropriate to ask this question here.

I've been an editor for a long time (I'm currently using Premiere, although that may just be temporary). Up until now, I've done all my color correction in my editor, or in some cases, in After Effects like with Color Finesse 3, but those options are really not cutting it anymore. I've decided to tackle learning a program designed specifically for color correction. I was wondering what sort of insight people might have.

As long as Adobe refuses to offer PLs for its future software, CC is not an option (having control of my own work will always be paramount), so Speedgrade CC is off the table, as is its direct link with Premiere. Any option I choose will probably require careful round tripping, so, I may as well pick the best.

I have CS6, so, I have Speedgrade CS6. I also recently downloaded Resolve 11 lite. Which do people generally prefer regardless of their NLE? Or even in regard to their NLE?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Speedgrade CS6 or Resolve 11 lite?
on Mar 6, 2015 at 5:48:12 am

[David Smith] "I have CS6, so, I have Speedgrade CS6. I also recently downloaded Resolve 11 lite. Which do people generally prefer regardless of their NLE? Or even in regard to their NLE?"

IMO the only reason to consider SpeedGrade is for Dynamic Link. Since DL is not an option for you, you should use Resolve 11 Lite.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:17:39 am

[Andrew Kimery] "IMO the only reason to consider SpeedGrade is for Dynamic Link. Since DL is not an option for you, you should use Resolve 11 Lite."

Andrew - Do you prefer nodes to layers, or is there another reason you say this?

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:28:02 am

It is a good question, Andrew... why do you say go with Resolve over Speedgrade?

I actually much prefer using layers over nodes. (another reason it's been hard to drop Adobe since all their software is so layer based). I feel Speedgrade would have a lower learning curve than Resolve. On the other hand, if I have to abandon Adobe completely anyway eventually, I may as well learn Resolve now instead.

Does Resolve do superior work? Does it have more features? It certainly doesn't feel easier to use from my first experiments.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 6, 2015 at 1:17:35 pm

[David Smith] "Does Resolve do superior work? Does it have more features? It certainly doesn't feel easier to use from my first experiments."

I work in both and if you are going to use a standalone grading tool, Resolve is the way to go. Several reasons:

1. SG CS6 misses a lot of the features in the current SG CC versions, so you are working with a product that's not getting any development.

2. Resolve is the current industry leader.

3. Although I personally like the looks I can get with SG, I can get more surgical precision when needed with Resolve over SG.

4. Advanced features, like tracking and masking are significantly superior in Resolve over SG.

5. Resolve is better in a cross-platform/cross-NLE workflow, as it reads/writes EDL, XML, FCPXML, AAF and associated media formats.

6. If you work with camera raw formats, Resolve supports a lot more native media than SG.

7. Resolve gives you far better built-in editing tools.

8. The use of SG with external I/O for monitoring is poor, especially in CS6. That's because the design is for a GPU with an SDI daughter card and not a standard capture card. OTOH, Resolve is limited to BMD cards.

As far as nodes versus layers, that's not really a significant difference. This isn't like a compositor. Most of the work you do in Resolve can be done in 1-4 nodes at best and most users work in serial nodes. This is exactly the same as working in 1-4 layers. But, if you want the advantages of other types of nodes, you've got it.

For training, go with the Ripple Training series or the Mixing Light tutorials.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 7, 2015 at 2:01:36 am

Completely agree with Oliver, but Resolve should not be used as an NLE as of now due to choppy playback in the Edit page, at least with the current version. Hoping the next version will address this.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 7, 2015 at 2:55:03 am
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on Mar 7, 2015 at 2:55:38 am

Oliver hit a lot of great points but I'll toss in my 2 cents anyway.

Resolve is a much more refined and feature filled product than SG.

Resolve has a bigger community so if you are looking for help or tips and tricks you are more likely to find it for Resolve than for SG.

Resolve is more marketable than SG.

Resolve Lite is free... so why not?

With many of the workflows I've used having, something like Dynamic Link would drastically speed up and simplify the grading process which is why I'd be willing to give up some of Resolve's features and go with SG + DL. W/o DL you still have the same round trip hell so might as well go with Resolve, IMO.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Mar 7, 2015 at 5:10:55 am

Definitely some compelling reasons for going with Resolve. Thanks for all the input, guys.

I tried to get it up and running, but was having a hard time even getting my footage loaded in, so, I was skeptical. However, I read two things... one is that it has a high learning curve, and even importing footage takes finesse. The other is that .mts files can be troublesome, and all my videos are exactly that.

Still, when I have another window for learning new software, I think I'll give it another go. I have no intention of using it as an NLE at this point... just color correction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]