FORUMS: list search recent posts

More subscriptions

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
More subscriptions
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:16:40 pm

Looks like MS Office will be subscription-only from here on out if I read this right.

http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview

You can still buy 2011 for Mac now, but after Office 2016 is released officially, it appears that it will require an Office 365 subscription for that and any newer versions. I presume the same is true for the equivalent Windows versions.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: More subscriptions
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:28:19 pm

I was pretty sure that was exactly the direction Microsoft was going to go. It only makes sense.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:40:43 pm

I can´t read that anywhere in the article.
Not even an indication for that.
It´s only said, that you will receive the next version step automatically if you´re on subscription.
No word about, that you can´t BUY (not rent) it, as a fair perpetual license, when it´s released.
They already tried/wanted it with the PC Version (long before Adobe radically removed choice) and had to back-padel.
But if they do, I think it will be a boom for the Office competitors.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 6, 2015 at 12:00:09 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 6, 2015 at 12:02:23 am

[Rainer Schubert] "I can´t read that anywhere in the article. "

The only option to buy it is via the subscription. The version you can still buy is the 2011 version. It's implied, though not specifically spelled out in the FAQs.

"The official release is in the second half of 2015. Get your Office 365 subscription today, customers with active subscription will be entitled to the newest versions when available."

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 6, 2015 at 1:53:47 am

You can´t buy it at the moment (ps. with subscription you´ll never buy anything - you rent), because it´s not released.
You can´t rent via subscription and you can´t buy a license at the moment.
You will get it, if you are on subscription - that´s no question.
But I can´t find a line, where it´s said, that you can´t buy a license ("only option is to buy via subscription"), when it´s released .
I think, the line you quoted is more for users, who think, they will not get the next version if they subscribe today.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Mar 6, 2015 at 8:21:19 am
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on Mar 6, 2015 at 8:23:04 am

Hey Oliver,

I am already on Office 365 and it is saving me money + our subscription covers all the devices in our house at a fraction of what it would have cost previously - think at least an 80% reduction in cost + 100% increase in productivity as both computers and mobile devices have it. I can sit in front of the telly and open any of my documents sitting on the Microsoft OneDrive and edit them with my mobile phone - granted, other packages offer that too, but I've found none with the functionality of the Microsoft ecosystem.

Microsoft, like Adobe, like any of the larger digital publishing houses, have found that they will be much better off with a subscription service that the end-user pay monthly or annually for, than trying to convince you to buy the next box-set of floppy-discs (CD-Roms or DVDs too).

I would not be surprised if Office 2016 would eventually just become Office 365.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:15:16 am

[Oliver Peters] "Looks like MS Office will be subscription-only from here on out if I read this right."

See this article:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/05/microsoft-office-mac-2016-preview/
"Pricing for a standalone version for Mac without requiring an active subscription is expected closer to launch."

Microsoft is smart enough to know that no perpetual option would send millions of former customers straight to Google Docs and OpenOffice.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 6, 2015 at 1:03:19 pm

I guess we'll find out for sure when it launches for real.

I certainly understand why developers want to go with subscriptions and why it can be a good thing. As a consumer, I hate it, not because it's inherently bad, but rather because a lot of companies are going to it. After awhile this all starts to add up to serious money and like your cable bill, gets to a point where you want to start cutting things out. So having the option to purchase or rent is good.

Office subscriptions make sense for enterprise and business users, but not for individuals. After all, how often do any of us need to update a word processor or spreadsheet application? I'm still using Office 2008 without issue and that's only for compatibility. Most of my use of these functions is done with Pages/Numbers/Keynote. Plus I hate the ribbon. Bad UI design AFAIK.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 6, 2015 at 3:01:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I hate the ribbon"
You are not alone. One of the worst examples of UIs ever seen.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Mar 6, 2015 at 4:46:02 pm

Hey Oliver,

[Oliver Peters] "After awhile this all starts to add up to serious money and like your cable bill, gets to a point where you want to start cutting things out. So having the option to purchase or rent is good"

I think that you are spot on. Could even go as far as to use the mobile bill as an example - a few years back txt was the big earner European Cellnet providers. Now due to competition they have to give it away for free, but have replaced it with "data packages" instead. At least most smart-phones comes with wifi, which where I live is normal to find free in most public places.

But nevertheless, at what point do we get upset with seeing £50 disappearing every 1st of the month? Hence I with both my Office 365, FreeAgent account SaaS and Hightail only pay early - that makes it easier to manage and gives me the option to cancel if the cost gets to high. Office 365 is still at a much lower price than the old office box-sets.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2015 at 6:53:00 pm

[Oliver Peters] "As a consumer, I hate it, not because it's inherently bad, but rather because a lot of companies are going to it. After awhile this all starts to add up to serious money and like your cable bill, gets to a point where you want to start cutting things out. So having the option to purchase or rent is good."

Exactly. There's nothing inherently wrong with software subscriptions. The problem is when subscription is forced with no other choice. Software is an integral part of a personal computer system. Without software, a computer is a brick. Software is not a consumable like cable entertainment. If every software vender forced us to pay rent every month, it would cost a fortune to run our PCs.

Fortunately, I don't think this will happen. Most consumers hate renting software. Microsoft is not the monopoly it once was. Their decline from the 90's and the availability of excellent free alternatives to their office suite means they either offer choice or slip further into irrelevance.

As a vendor of creative software, Adobe is currently in a position similar to Microsoft's in the 90's. Their current market dominance gives them confidence that they can force a rental business model on customers who don't like it. This may work in the short term, but as more and more great options develop (for example, Affinity Photo looks amazing!), they run the risk of becoming another Microsoft. Customer loyalty is a two-way street.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Mar 7, 2015 at 5:15:32 am

Hey David,

[David Lawrence] "Exactly. There's nothing inherently wrong with software subscriptions. The problem is when subscription is forced with no other choice. Software is an integral part of a personal computer system. Without software, a computer is a brick. Software is not a consumable like cable entertainment. If every software vender forced us to pay rent every month, it would cost a fortune to run our PCs."

I think that you are right in being concerned about every software becoming a SaaS paid on a subscription as not all will be able to afford that.

However, when it comes to running "things" on a subscription (not computer software), I took a quick look around me and found: Mobile Phone, Electricity, Gas, Car (petrol), Wired magazine, Businessweek and National Geographic - there might be more. Although some of those I could live without, or get in a different form for low pay/free elsewhere or reduce our consumption of. Nevertheless they are subscriptions of one kind or another.

The point being that Adobe is just one company, of a long string of companies, that we the customer will have to get used to, to pay on a regular basis, rather than the one off at our chosen moment. If Adobe had started out as a subscription service, then I'm sure that this forum would never have existed.

[David Lawrence] "This may work in the short term, but as more and more great options develop (for example, Affinity Photo looks amazing!), they run the risk of becoming another Microsoft. Customer loyalty is a two-way street."

I disagree with this: Microsoft is under pressure, but is doing amazingly well. Bill Gates have just been re-elevated to the position of the world's richest man. Microsoft new CEO is on a uphill climb, but is heading a company that are adapting - like Adobe. They have a number of business units, that you and I will never have heard of, but is making large chunks of money. Don't forget, although Skype today is at times a dog to run, they are still giving that away for free. Having paid a large sum of money for Minecraft, Microsoft is still giving that away for free. Granted, they are under pressure from Apple and Google - but they are far from ignorant of their customers, and they have a solid business which has potential for growth.

Did I mention Wired? Here is why I would buy shares in Microsoft today: http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-nadella/

"Project HoloLens" is augmentation on a completely new level - one that could put wasteland to all of those VR companies that the youngsters such as FB and Google have invested in...

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 7, 2015 at 8:37:05 pm

Although I'm not a fan of subscriptions, I try not to get too emotional about it, because in the end, rent and own come out to the same thing. For example, if you buy a new MacBook Pro with all the bell-and-whistles, as well as tax, it will run about $3600. If it's productive for 5 years, that's 60 month. In effective, you paid $60/month to "own" the laptop. The difference is you pay it all at once if you didn't finance it. While the argument can be made that you bought it on the back of a project and that paid for it, the reality is the opportunity cost by spending all that sum at once instead of spreading it out. So in that example, ownership and rent really come out the same, which is why people lease equipment.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 7, 2015 at 10:31:08 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Although I'm not a fan of subscriptions, I try not to get too emotional about it, because in the end, rent and own come out to the same thing. For example, if you buy a new MacBook Pro with all the bell-and-whistles, as well as tax, it will run about $3600. If it's productive for 5 years, that's 60 month. In effective, you paid $60/month to "own" the laptop. The difference is you pay it all at once if you didn't finance it. While the argument can be made that you bought it on the back of a project and that paid for it, the reality is the opportunity cost by spending all that sum at once instead of spreading it out. So in that example, ownership and rent really come out the same, which is why people lease equipment."

I think that's a fair argument.

Where I personally draw the line is in handing a corporation control over access to my creative work. Once I buy and own a system, It's mine to do with as I please and works as long as I maintain it for no further cost. I can still run applications I wrote for my Apple//e over 30 years ago. Software is an integral part of the system. If corporations become the gatekeepers who determine whether our personal computers run, we no longer have personal computers.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 8, 2015 at 2:09:08 am

[David Lawrence] "Where I personally draw the line is in handing a corporation control over access to my creative work. Once I buy and own a system, It's mine to do with as I please and works as long as I maintain it for no further cost. I can still run applications I wrote for my Apple//e over 30 years ago. Software is an integral part of the system. If corporations become the gatekeepers who determine whether our personal computers run, we no longer have personal computers."

Precisely...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Mar 8, 2015 at 10:57:01 pm

Hey Oliver,

[Oliver Peters] "So in that example, ownership and rent really come out the same, which is why people lease equipment."

You would have thought so. Although your example is a good way to look at it, from a tax point (Based HMRC UK) it isn't.
- The purchase of your MacBook Pro would had to be written down over three years-ish as a capital allowance.
- Where as the lease/hire/rental will in most instances be tax deductible in the year of the service as this is a direct business expense.

There are different rules for sole-traders and SMEs v that of large companies.

However, as much as one might enjoy ownership, this may not necessarily be the most effective way of running the business. Also, it may not keep on updating you with the most up to date version either, as a rental could do.

BTW: DO ASK A REAL ACCOUNTANT for advice, as I am not one of those.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2015 at 12:17:04 am

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "You would have thought so. Although your example is a good way to look at it, from a tax point (Based HMRC UK) it isn't. "

My business manager is very good at this. In the US the capital depreciation rules tend to vary with any given administration's attitude towards stimulus or not. I've done both depreciation and expenses.

In any case, it's a simple example that shows that ownership isn't a foregone conclusion.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]