FORUMS: list search recent posts

New High End Competition for Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
New High End Competition for Photoshop
on Feb 9, 2015 at 6:54:00 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 9, 2015 at 6:59:30 pm

Check this out. This looks serious. InDesign competition later this year.
http://www.creativebloq.com/computer-arts/first-real-alternative-photoshop-...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
Re: New High End Competition for Photoshop
on Feb 9, 2015 at 7:06:36 pm

Check out their video demo.
https://affinity.serif.com/blog/

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 9, 2015 at 7:07:28 pm

In some ways it looks better than Photoshop, and I think a lot of people or more than ready for apps that are built on new code base that takes better advantage of new developments in hardware, instead of the same old stuff.

And with a Windows version on the way. Let the games begin.

This made my day Jim.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 9, 2015 at 7:48:39 pm

I wonder who they're referring to here?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 9, 2015 at 8:43:43 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:06:18 pm

Looks very promising. I was considering BMD Fusion when it comes out for Mac OS X as it has a very nice feature set. Might as well get both, very small investment and no subscription. That is always a good thing.

Return to posts index

David Miller
on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:55:20 pm

Just as a reminder....when I made my first posts on this site some months ago, I made mention of the new Affinity line of applications that were under development from the English company called Serif.

Affinity Designer (a vector program which is meant to ultimately be a competitor with Illustrator) was released early October last year.

Affinity Photo (a raster program which is meant to ultimately be a competitor with Photoshop) is now available for beta testing as noted earlier in this thread.

Affinity Publisher (which will be a page layout program meant to compete with InDesign) is still slated to be in beta near the end of this year.

It is hoped that these apps will mature quickly and present themselves as viable alternatives to the offerings mired in CC in its current form. Right now, the Affinity apps that are available are missing some expected features, but the developers feature roadmap is aggressive and most of that stuff should be added soon. I wish them much luck and good fortune.

As noted directly on the Designer website....they make special mention of "no subscriptions". Yes, Chris, that is squarely aimed at Adobe.

- David

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 9, 2015 at 11:37:40 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 9, 2015 at 11:40:31 pm

Affinity also has a Facebook page. One feature that jumped out was that Designer (Illustrator competitor) and Photo will share a common file format. Designer has been getting raves and high sales numbers on the Mac App Store. Affinity Photo beta was just released and is available for download.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:28:15 am

lets just pray that adobe wont purchase them.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 10, 2015 at 2:31:55 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Affinity also has a Facebook page. One feature that jumped out was that Designer (Illustrator competitor) and Photo will share a common file format. Designer has been getting raves and high sales numbers on the Mac App Store. Affinity Photo beta was just released and is available for download."

I've spent a fair amount of time on the Affinity forums and FB pages today, this looks like the real deal to me. Perhaps the first real serious crack in the Adobe fortress (not to slight Black Magic and Fusion). I was concerned that it might just be a Mac store only offering, the older forum discussions reflect a reluctance by Affinity staff to develop a cross platform solution, but they do seem to be taking that issue seriously.

If, like me, you operate in a Windows environment I recommend you take the time to post to their page and forums to encourage X-platform releases. Even if you don't use Windows, you may want to encourage them anyway. The key to true competition with Adobe is cross platform availability.

When Adobe "burned it's boats" a lot of those who were still out at sea were Windows users.

Thanks again to Jim and David Miller for the heads up! Truly exciting news for artists who want to maintain control of their work.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 10, 2015 at 2:43:13 am

Thanks to Mr. Miller and Mr. Wiseman as well. Very interested to see how this develops.

Return to posts index

David Miller
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:10:15 am

[Chris Pettit] "I've spent a fair amount of time on the Affinity forums and FB pages today, this looks like the real deal to me. Perhaps the first real serious crack in the Adobe fortress (not to slight Black Magic and Fusion). I was concerned that it might just be a Mac store only offering, the older forum discussions reflect a reluctance by Affinity staff to develop a cross platform solution, but they do seem to be taking that issue seriously."

Chris.... the original reasons why they were playing down the option of making a Windows version was two-fold:

FIRST reason was that they needed to first get all the coding and programming done to a reasonable extent (for all 3 applications that are planned) on the Macintosh platform first before extending themselves out onto Windows versions of those programs.....they are not a large company and there are only so many programmers to go around;

SECOND reason was that they already have a whole series of of graphics apps available for Windows users in their "Plus" series (such as: WebPlus, PagePlus, PhotoPlus, DrawPlus, MoviePlus, PanoramaPlus) and they were originally saying that they did not want to harm sales of those programs on the Windows side by competing with their own Plus apps with their Affinity brand apps. Now, the Plus series of apps are described by Serif as more hobbyist than anything else, so perhaps they could bring their pro-level Affinity offerings to Windows and still maintain their Plus user base as well. The Plus apps are Windows-only. Not available for Mac unless the Mac user is running Windows in emulation via Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop or somesuch.

Serif had been planning this move to the Mac platform for some time, and since the majority of pro users in graphic design are Mac-based, it seemed to them to be the best place to start to establish the Affinity line. They apparently started coding for Designer upwards of about 4 years ago, and just brought Designer to market back in October. Programmed from the ground up for the Mac....no code coming over from the Windows side of things.

So, maybe they will bring it over to Windows eventually, but they need to get everything established and stabilized on the Mac side before they start adding to their work overhead with possible Windows options.

- David

Return to posts index

David Miller
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:23:17 am

I have to say that I'm just a little concerned with Serif/Affinity choosing to call their page layout application "Publisher" for two reasons:

-- I would have expected that they would have run into some sort of problem with Microsoft since they have had their own program called "Publisher". (Or has Microsoft dumped Publisher from its product line?)

-- Also, Microsoft Publisher has a very bad reputation in the printing industry (i.e. whenever a printer receives files in Publisher format the first thing they do is get the contents out of Publisher and into some other format) so hanging that Publisher name onto their product risks having some negative feelings attached to it right off the bat.

Aside from the above, I'm just glad that they are indeed planning a page layout competitor. If they are successful in establishing all 3 of those applications as pro-level alternatives, then that could end up removing the Illustrator-Photoshop-InDesign troika from the equation.

- David

Return to posts index

David Miller
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:31:42 am

If anyone wants to check out a short video promo for Affinity Photo, you can see it here:

- David

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 10, 2015 at 4:33:46 am
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Feb 10, 2015 at 4:35:46 am

[David Miller] "Serif had been planning this move to the Mac platform for some time, and since the majority of pro users in graphic design are Mac-based, it seemed to them to be the best place to start to establish the Affinity line. They apparently started coding for Designer upwards of about 4 years ago, and just brought Designer to market back in October. Programmed from the ground up for the Mac....no code coming over from the Windows side of things."

Thanks for the info David. My reading of the forums is that a lot of the coding of the core apps can be fairly platform independent, that the Apple API's is where they put their efforts, but that the core code structure "could" be translated to Windows without starting over, but with a significant additional investment that would have to be justified (and I think it would), but we're out of my area of expertise.

I totally agree that the Mac platform was the place to start for them. But the conventional wisdom that most pro creative users are on Macs is simply no longer true, hasn't been for a long time, particularly when you talk about video and animation. Apple is no longer serious about desktop hardware IMO. But even if that wasn't the case, I don't think any serious competition to a development ecosystem like the Adobe Leviathan can ever succeed without reaching the myriads of pro Windows users eventually. I own Macs. I actually would be diving head first into the new Motion and FCPX if there was anything close to a serious piece of hardware on the Mac side, but after 2 years of development the Mac Pro is already vastly inferior machine to what is available in a singe desktop on the Windows side in terms of both CPU and GPU options. So unfortunately developers like me are forced (for better or worse) to stay put with Windows machines. There are thousands of us out there, trust me.

To the extent that Affinity is serious about being something more than niche software, they'll have to make that leap eventually. I know it wont be next week, but my guess is they will get there. If not, I dont think Adobe will take them very seriously.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 10, 2015 at 5:53:13 pm

One of many similar posts I've seen in the last 24 hours:

"....After trying this for about two hours I have just been on to Adobe to cancel my creative cloud sub (they don't make it as bloody easy to cancel as signing up do they). I've been mainly using AD but still needed photoshop a bit but not anymore! Feels really great uninstalling all that bloated adobe guff."

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 10, 2015 at 7:21:21 pm

As soon as Fusion makes its Mac debut, looking at it to replace both Photoshop and After Effects though Motion will still have its place. The best part? Even the free version of Fusion comes with a particle emitter. Particles are fun!

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Feb 10, 2015 at 7:37:48 pm
Last Edited By Chris Pettit on Feb 10, 2015 at 7:40:42 pm

[David Mathis] " Even the free version of Fusion comes with a particle emitter. Particles are fun!"

Don't get me going!:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]