FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nearly $12.5 million in last 30 days...

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Miller
Nearly $12.5 million in last 30 days...
on Feb 8, 2015 at 2:52:00 am

Adobe CEO has sold nearly $12.5 million worth of his Adobe shares in the last 30 days. Recently, he "unexpectedly" sold 36,762 shares and had earlier sold an additional 136,762 shares. According to this article (see link), he now owns 276,181 shares of Adobe stock:

http://www.octafinance.com/warning-adobe-systems-nasdaqadbe-optimists-shant...

That's a pretty fair percentage of his holdings in Adobe that have been sold off.

The article also says:

" Since this was such a massive deal, it may imply that Mr. Shantanu is negative of Adobe Systems Inc’s future or the increase of its stock price. In addition twenty three leading stock analysts are very low on Adobe Systems Inc, projecting it to declare [eforeshare] of $2.08 for 2015 at minimum. This means that the company’s PE ratio will be 33.68 and the anticipated growth rate YOY 16.20%. "

Things that make you go "hmmmm.....".

Burn those boats!! ;)

- David

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
Re: Nearly $12.5 million in last 30 days...
on Feb 8, 2015 at 7:43:03 am

I was always taught you shouldn't burn your bridges. Whatever. Do what you gotta do Adobe. I'll do the same.
Currently, that involves putting in a lot of time learning FCP X, so when CS6 doesn't work so well anymore.......

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Feb 8, 2015 at 9:47:08 am

[David Miller] "Things that make you go "hmmmm.....".

Burn those boats!! ;)"

Or maybe he needs to put the kids into college, buy a house or do like Bill Gates and spend the money on charity - however, I am guessing that his performance bonus is locked into stock options, so if he needs cash to live on why shouldn't he cash in?

In any case, the stock price for Adobe is up quite dramatically over the last 3 1/2 years alone. So why shouldn't any shareholder, including the staff,make the best use of that - in particularly if one can upgrade the house, motor and/or yacht?

BTW: If he had sold his whole holding, one might be asking whether he is looking for a new job. But he only sold 13.3% in the last round, which is not enough to cry woolf...

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

David Miller
on Feb 8, 2015 at 5:59:03 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "BTW: If he had sold his whole holding, one might be asking whether he is looking for a new job. But he only sold 13.3% in the last round, which is not enough to cry woolf..."

Where did you get the 13.3% figure from? Did you use the figures in the linked story to come up with that % ? Or were there other figures that you added that were not included in the story?

In using the figures that were in the story (presuming that those were accurate figures), I ended up with a figure of 38.6%* that he sold. That's a significant amount....unless Adobe is getting set to award him still more shares that will replace most (or all) of those he just sold.

If those shares are not being replaced, and if those figures in that story are accurate as presented, then it appears that he just sold nearly 39% of his total shares in Adobe.

I have never been a math major, so my calculations may be in error. If so, show me where the error is. How did you figure it to get 13.3% ?

* the actual figure I ended up with was 38.58618427635895 %

- David

Return to posts index

David Miller
on Feb 8, 2015 at 6:05:46 pm

Assuming that the figures in that linked story were correct, here's how I figured it:

Adobe CEO reportedly just sold 36,762 shares.
Adobe CEO also sold an additional 136,762 shares within last 30 days.
The total that Adobe CEO has sold in the last 30 days or so is therefore 173,524

The story goes on to say that the Adobe CEO now owns 276,181 shares....that's what he has left after the abovementioned sales took place.

So, if you take the amount that the CEO sold (173,524 shares) and add it to what he has left (276,181), then you have a total of 449,705 shares which is the total number of shares that he started out with before any of these reported sales were made.

Using a simple ratio calculation, that means that, with a sale of 173,524 shares sold out of a total of 449,705, the Adobe CEO sold 38.6% of his share stake in the last 30 days.

Now, if there are other share amounts that have not been included in the above figuring, then Mads' amount may still be accurate. But I don't see any other figures that would enter into this calculation.

So, Mads, where are you getting your figures from? Is there some other source beyond this story that provides additional share amounts that should be considered in this calculation?

If my figures are correct, then if I was an investor who owned Adobe stock I would be a bit nervous seeing a CEO cash in nearly 39% of his stock in a 30 day period.

- David

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Feb 8, 2015 at 9:49:27 pm

considering that adobes stock has been in rut since last octobre that not even the hype of the 3rd quarter. had any significant effect. who knowes what he might be seeing, something we have not.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Feb 9, 2015 at 1:35:36 pm

Hey David,

The calculation that I used was based on your numbers:
36,762 shares / 276,181 shares * 100 = 13.3%

But you might be right, in that I should for a much more accurate figure have done the following calculation:
36,762 shares + 276,181 shares = 312,943 shares
36,762 shares / 312,943 shares * 100 = 11.7% of total shareholding "unexpectedly" sold in the last round by the CEO of Adobe
Teach me not to be too quick on the calculator ;-)

Mr Shantanu Narayen was not the founder of Adobe, neither has he been there from the beginning, not even close to when it was IPO'ed back in 1986. From what I can see, part of his pay-package is in shares and share-options. Which increases with the success of the company, and decreases if not successful. In effect, the CEO is an employee of the company, and should as such be able to sell any and all shares - unless he is aware of negative information* not published to the market. I suspect that he can only see a positive future for the company, and that more shares will be earned at his next bonus round.

In any case, do not forget that it is the Adobe board, on behalf of the shareholders, who decides if the Adobe CEO should be and how he should be paid. But they have no direct say in how he spends his hard earned money - neither have you or I for that matter.

Like with stock buy-backs, if you look around, you will find plenty of CEO's (who is also founders) of companies that have off-loaded part of their shareholdings. I suppose that when Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg in late 2013 sold shares allegedly worth close to $2.3 Billion, that this would be a sign of the Facebook business collapsing? How about founders of GoPro, Twitter and Google selling shares - surely those companies have suffered too as a result...?

Negative information* does NOT include posts on the Adobe Creative Cloud: The Debate forum :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:31:52 pm

Maybe he saw Affinity coming...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Feb 12, 2015 at 2:25:30 am

Yup, probably tried the Affinity beta :-)

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Feb 12, 2015 at 5:22:01 am

yes, getting some cash to invest in winner

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Feb 12, 2015 at 11:39:33 am

What is Affinity?

Is that a Apple only product?
If so, is that not a "closed shop" type of approach which will only help to serve a small minority in the creative industries? If anything, wouldn't a Photoshop CC (cross-platform) only subscription be cheaper for the true professional who uses that everyday, rather than having to learn a new tool ;-)

Anyway, if you are into web experience management, you might find that this report will brighten your day most considerably: https://www.forrester.com/The+Forrester+Wave+Web+Content+Management+Systems... Although you would need to sell some shares to buy it, the message is in the title itself: Adobe And Sitecore Lead A Strong Field Of Vendors

There are a nice link to a report here explaining the findings: http://offers.adobe.com/en/na/marketing/landings/_64408_2015_forrester_wcm_...

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:10:04 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:12:43 pm

If Adobe is doing so well, why did the CEO sell more than 38% of his holdings over the last month? The essence of this thread, after all. Here are a few possible reasons. First some figures:

52 week stock performance, Apple up 63.1% to an all time high. Adobe in the same period, up 14.13%.
Apple market capitalization (value of all of it's stock) $727.4 billion, all time highest valuation for an American corporation, the first to be valued at more than $700 billion. Still trending upward. Adobe market capitalization $36.4 billion.

Apple earnings per share $7.42 resulting in share price to earnings ratio of 16.2, still an incredible value. Adobe earnings per share $.53, share price to earnings ratio of 138.1. Not so great, overvalued in my opinion. Apple profit margin, 22.5%, Adobe 6.47%.

All of these facts are noted by analysts. Apple must be doing something right.

Of course Adobe has some good products. I'll use my CS6 Production Premium (who needs all of their software) for as long as it works, which should be a long time, given the Apple hardware I have invested in. I'm now running OSX 10.6.8 through Yosemite, depending upon the application.

But honestly these days I am really only using Photoshop, and that is becoming more occasional. When Affinity Photo moves out of Beta, I can get along without PS when CS6 no longer works. Also, the number of creatives using Macs is much greater than you seem to believe. Much greater. Affinity will move their product to Windows eventually, but iOS is next up according to their CEO, interoperable with their OSX versions. At any rate, it would be easier to buy an iMac with 5K display to run Affinity products for someone whose specialty is design in order to get out of the Creative Cloud trap. As far as performance, have you seen the video of their Photo application, or their already released (not beta) Designer, the competition to Illustrator? Publisher is expected to release later this year to go head to head with InDesign. I have to believe many of those on CC are there for those three applications.

And of course, if Adobe ever had the good sense to allow us to purchase permanent licenses for their software again, I might revisit my options. Never ending rental with disappearing projects when you stop paying will never be in my future. I can buy (to keep) the Affinity products for less than $50 each with free upgrades for a minimum of two years, when out of beta. They obviously see a huge potential here compared to the Adobe model.

Rental is the problem with Adobe. Always has been. Regardless of the Apple/Adobe stock comparisons. As Chris Pettit said, "Let the games begin."

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Feb 12, 2015 at 10:39:31 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "If Adobe is doing so well, why did the CEO sell more than 38% of his holdings over the last month? The essence of this thread, after all. Here are a few possible reasons. First some figures:"

You forgot to give us your "few possible reasons" for an employee wanting part of his bonus converted to cash.
And, yes, your twin also called Jim Wiseman decided to highjack this thread with a comment about a beta software only working on a minority of the worlds work-stations - you better have a chat with him.

At least you are back on message :-)

[Jim Wiseman] "52 week stock performance, Apple up 63.1% to an all time high. Adobe in the same period, up 14.13%.
Apple market capitalization (value of all of it's stock) $727.4 billion, all time highest valuation for an American corporation, the first to be valued at more than $700 billion. Still trending upward. Adobe market capitalization $36.4 billion."

Setting aside that you are using the US's highest valued company as a comparison to Adobe, which must be a compliment. I am guessing that anyone investing in today's volatile market, would be happy with a 14.13% return in growth. What do you think?
There are nothing wrong with having that kind of growth - or would you rather have sunk your money into a Blockbuster or RadioShack?

Whilst the other one, Apple, with all its money, through their actions seems not to be too interested in the customer base of fcp editors. If anything, doing nothing tangible, is worse than taking a bold step forward (1 guess only for: Who am I talking about here? ;-)).

I haven't looked at Affinity as my understanding is that it is not cross-platform - I am on a HP that I love to bits running Windows 8.1, which is great for my needs.

However, I do love that Adobe is getting some competition as it will help improve the software I am using - so yes, but for other reasons, I agree "Bring it On!"

Ooh, before I forget: This morning Adobe kindle pushed out new improved CC versions of Muse, Dreamweaver and InDesign - they nicely uploaded and installed in the background whilst I got on with my day.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 13, 2015 at 9:35:29 pm

I was considering Acorn as a Photoshop replacement but since they have no plans to add safe zones, going to look at other alternatives. In some ways Motion has some nice tools but really starting to think about Fusion due to its feature set. Some very nice masking tools and a well rounded color correction set of tools is the main attraction, along with not having to think in layers, though they are still useful.

I have found a replacement for Premiere Pro, and it was an easy decision. Sticking with FCP X, meets my needs, budget and is fun to work with. Rental only, no thank you, have moved on.

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Feb 18, 2015 at 9:47:41 pm

Adobe haters make me chuckle. One day everyone is saying "The subscription model is just to make money!!!!!!1" Then whenever there is a potential bump in Adobe's road everyone says "See!!! The subscription model will be Adobe's doom!!!!!1" So which is it? Is Adobe a big evil corporation raking in madd cash, or a bumbling group of idiots crashing themselves to the ground?

I don't know, yinz can keep speculating all you want. Right now I have a hard time believing Adobe is going out of businnes in the near future. Illustrator is still the standard, Photoshop is still the standard, Premiere has a solid user base, and there is nothing even competing with After Effects. Not to mention flash. If Adobe goes under, I will learn new software at that point. There's no need to behave as if the sky is falling until it actually does.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 19, 2015 at 11:19:41 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 19, 2015 at 11:23:52 pm

@JP
Or until you quit paying forever and can no longer access your body of work. But then, I suppose you will never retire or just finally want to work on your art or other non-paying projects. All you have to do is look at the financials to see that Adobe's profit is down severely the last two years since CC. Will it catch on? Perhaps, with those whose revenue stream justifies it, or lack of future interest in their own projects will keep them paying forever. Of course when they stop paying they will be forced to abandon everything they have poured into the process that created their life's artistic output. Maybe that doesn't matter to some.

I would love to have access to a couple of Adobe product updates, but until they offer an alternative to endless rental, it will be CS6 for me, and many others. And there will be competition. No longer use their video products, mostly just some Photoshop. I really hope Adobe has the good sense to modify their model, because it sure as heck doesn't fit a lot of their (former) customers.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 20, 2015 at 9:50:48 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Of course when they stop paying they will be forced to abandon everything they have poured into the process that created their life's artistic output. Maybe that doesn't matter to some."

Sorry I don't get this at all, when I do my "artistic projects" it ends up with a finished film, the MASTER of that is my output, not the Premiere project itself. I'm not being forced to "abandon everything"!

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:06:33 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:13:07 pm

Want to re-edit later? Don't pay? Forget it. I'm constantly doing and redoing my own projects and have a few good clients on contract who are always needing new versions. I don't always hand off to a revolving door of changing clientele to then forget about. I have hundreds of hours of raw footage, documentary material of rare cultural practices from the Pacific islands and video art projects that go back to the '70's. Analog and digital video synthesizer work. Don't assume that everyone is making product that they will never wish to revisit. Not all of us want to retire and play golf. I want to be able to edit without client and cash flow pressure. I've got the hardware, and will only use software that allows for that kind of economically less hindered workflow.

Adobe used to be reasonable when you knew it would continue to function. CC is not, at least for me and many others. CS6 I will use until it breaks, but not Premiere. No need for AE. Photoshop a bit, but there are substitutes, some strong image editing software coming up from Serif Affinity Photo. Now replacing with others I won't mention or Adobe might buy them out as they have often done to kill competition, as with Macromedia for instance. With FCPX and a bit of Motion for titles and the rare transition effect, I've found excellent documentary tools. FCPX has better organizational capabilities than any other NLE I've found.

It isn't all about the "Master". I think of new edits often and want to continue to create them without credit card "ka-ching" every month, only stoppable with a dead end, no access.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:16:27 pm

[Jim Wiseman] " I have hundreds of hours of raw footage, documentary material of rare cultural practices from the Pacific islands and video art projects that go back to the '70's. Analog and digital video synthesizer work."

Does that involve illustrations of the migration pattern of rare editor species too?
(That was meant to be funny)

On a more serious note; Sony is stopping manufacturing of 1/2 inch tape recorders and players in 2016 and will stop support of them in 2023 - where will that leave your archived video footage, should it be on Betacam, Digital Betacam, SX or HD-CAM?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 20, 2015 at 6:32:18 pm

I have several machines of each format starting with 3/4 inch, mini DV, DVC Pro & Beta SP. The rest is on HD SD card storage. Will use ProRes HQ stored on LTO. Some SD NTSC bumped to 1080 HD with my Teranex

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:24:54 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "It isn't all about the "Master". I think of new edits often and want to continue to create them without credit card "ka-ching" every month, only stoppable with a dead end, no access."

I get it, I really do. CC works for me, but I understand that not owning software is scary, and different people have different needs. I wish Adobe had an option for PL for those who want it. I just don't understand if I'm supposed to believe that Adobe is a giant who is evil because of its massive success or a giant idiot who is evil because of its massive failure.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:32:30 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:34:53 pm

I don't think they are evil. They have some very good products. I just think they have very poor upper management, and are ignoring a very large segment of their previous market when they allowed for permanent licenses. Idiomatically, they are leaving a lot of money on the table, and making a huge public relations error. I used to upgrade Production Premium every time. I just bought LightRoom 5 for an organization I advise while it is still purchasable for a reasonable price under permanent licensing. On a DVD. But sorry, CC rental and it's disappearing act will never get my money.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:15:50 pm

Steve took the words right off of my hands. Whether we are talking about non-linear editing, graphic design, motion graphic design, 3D design, sound design/scoring, or anything else you can do with CC, the art is in the development of our skills and artistic style. Sure changing software is a speed bump in our progress as artists, but I think we can all agree that software are just tools. If Adobe, Apple, Maxon, Avid and Sony all went under simultaneously, none of us would lose our creative history, or the experience of spending hours upon hours working on a piece, or our desire to create. We wouldn't stop being artists, we would just have to learn new tools.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:24:02 pm

I've learned new tools. FCPX and Motion. The hardware from Apple supports the software. $349 once. Will work on my current computers for at least five years, probably longer. Don't want to spend the rest of my life learning new tools. I have enough of a backlog to work on. If I was 25 years old, sure, no problem, plenty of time for software churn. But there is still the problem that you have no access unless you constantly pay Adobe every month of your career and beyond.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:51:50 pm

I have found alternatives, not necessarily competition. Motion runs only on Mac and not as powerful as After Effects, therefore an alternative. As far as FCP X is concerned, it is a strong competitor though Mac platform only.

Here is what I feel are very solid alternatives:

Editing: FCP X
Motion graphics: Motion, Fusion
Color grading: Resolve
Compositing: Fusion

Just my two cents and I don't feel Adobe is evil, just disagree with current business model.

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Feb 24, 2015 at 7:44:10 pm

Oh I know there are certainly alternatives to Premiere (of course many people consider Premiere itself to be an alternative) as well as most/all other apps in the creative suite. Even Photoshop, as great as it is, I think it's nothing too unique that other photo apps couldn't take its place. But I see no competitor for AE. I have yet to use Fusion so I can't judge it, but I hear very little talk about it. And Motion is a joke. I know it can be useful for creating lower thirds, transitions, other elements, and I know it integrates with FCPX well, but for serious motion graphic work it is child's play. As long as AE stands alone in its ability to combine composting, motion graphics, and now more integration with 3D software, I don't see Adobe going anywhere

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 24, 2015 at 10:05:59 pm
Last Edited By Steve Connor on Feb 24, 2015 at 10:08:19 pm

[JP Pelc] "And Motion is a joke"

It's many things but it's NOT a joke, certainly isn't as powerful as AE but it's a very good tool for Editor. It also has RealTime playback that AE users can only dream of :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]