FORUMS: list search recent posts

C-NET Survey - Is Adobe CC Worth it?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ridley Walker
C-NET Survey - Is Adobe CC Worth it?
on May 14, 2013 at 5:29:03 pm

An independent survey on C-NET.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57584302-92/survey-is-adobe-creative-cloud...

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
Re: C-NET Survey - Is Adobe CC Worth it?
on May 14, 2013 at 6:08:12 pm

CNET "and unlike Adobe, we'll be publishing our findings."

HA! :D

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 14, 2013 at 6:20:12 pm

I was interested until I found out the survey was just the voluntary questionnaire. If it's not scientific it's kinda pointless other than for craps and giggles, IMO.

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
on May 14, 2013 at 7:35:16 pm

Andrew:

How would you make it an "involuntary" survey?

Rich

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 14, 2013 at 8:00:43 pm

The problem with a poll like the one that CNET is doing is that it uses Voluntary Sampling which leads to Voluntary Response Bias.

"A voluntary sample is one of the main types of non-probability sampling methods. A voluntary sample is made up of people who self-select into the survey. Often, these folks have a strong interest in the main topic of the survey.

Suppose, for example, that a news show asks viewers to participate in an on-line poll. This would be a voluntary sample. The sample is chosen by the viewers, not by the survey administrator."

http://stattrek.com/statistics/dictionary.aspx?definition=Voluntary%20sampl...

"In survey sampling, voluntary response bias occurs when sample members are self-selected volunteers, as in voluntary samples . An example would be call-in radio shows that solicit audience participation in surveys on controversial topics (abortion, affirmative action, gun control, etc.). The resulting sample tends to overrepresent individuals who have strong opinions."

http://stattrek.com/statistics/dictionary.aspx?definition=voluntary_respons...

It's the same thing that plagued the famous Ann Landers poll where, according to the poll, 70% of American parents regretted having kids.

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
on May 14, 2013 at 8:12:47 pm

Andrew:

I agree completely and I work with statistical issues all of the time. The results cannot be scientifically valid because the respondents will have an intrinsic bias that causes them to take the time to respond.

However, from my perspective reading the COW forums, there are more Adobe apologists than I would have thought and maybe not even as many critics.

So I will be most interested in the qualitative data that comes from the comment boxes in the survey as well as the split between fans and foes.

Rich

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 14, 2013 at 11:28:05 pm

[Richert Goyette] "So I will be most interested in the qualitative data that comes from the comment boxes in the survey as well as the split between fans and foes."

Some interesting nuggets might come out of it but I feel it's going to be predominately a landslide of negativity and a rehash of things that have already been brought up repeatedly here on the COW and other places. I would really be interested in a scientific poll to so we could accurately judge (+/- 2% of course, who's happy, who's middle of the road and who's unhappy. I'd be interested if online forums are truly representative of the rank and file user or if the huge commotion is just the pissed off internet echo chamber in effect.

FWIW I signed up for CC last year for $29.99/mo to test drive the service for a year and don't feel strongly enough one way or the other to take the survey.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 15, 2013 at 3:09:17 am

[Andrew Kimery] " I'd be interested if online forums are truly representative of the rank and file user or if the huge commotion is just the pissed off internet echo chamber in effect."

That one is hard to say...

I suspect that Adobe's assessment of the people who already bought into the subscriptions is probably accurate. Of course, those would be the people who chose a subscription over a perpetual license when they had a choice...so the sample is a little biased like the voluntary survey will be largely people who feel strongly enough to take the time to do the survey, and the people who are happy are too busy working to mess around with it.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 15, 2013 at 3:38:08 am

[Tim Kolb] "I suspect that Adobe's assessment of the people who already bought into the subscriptions is probably accurate. Of course, those would be the people who chose a subscription over a perpetual license when they had a choice...so the sample is a little biased like the voluntary survey will be largely people who feel strongly enough to take the time to do the survey, and the people who are happy are too busy working to mess around with it."

One thing to keep in mind is the the Creative Cloud service is new. Adobe may not understand the true churn rate because many subscribed with introductory pricing. When rates double, many subscribers will elect to cancel or change their plan. I'm surprised Adobe didn't wait at least two years to fully test the model before placing all bets on it.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 15, 2013 at 3:51:31 am

[David Lawrence] " Adobe may not understand the true churn rate because many subscribed with introductory pricing. When rates double, many subscribers will elect to cancel or change their plan. I'm surprised Adobe didn't wait at least two years to fully test the model before placing all bets on it."

Yeah. I think you are right. I think the real test is next year.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 14, 2013 at 8:52:39 pm

I think CNET is missing the boat on the real issue a lot of people have with Creative Cloud- access to projects and files after ending a subscription. This article mentions it once, but mostly it focuses on whether or not people are happy with the pricing.

As a Master Collection user (I do web design as well as video stuff), Creative Cloud's pricing doesn't seem too bad from my perspective. It would take me four years of subscribing to the cloud to equal the cost of a full Master Collection purchase- and I would have immediate access to three major upgrades along the way.

But, while it's possible this path might work well for me in the near term, it isn't hard for me to imagine a time down the road when I'm not nearly as interested in NLEs and graphic/web design as I am now- but would still want to revisit them if the need or opportunity arises. And if/when that time comes, I don't want to have to pay Adobe for the privilege of accessing old projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]