Autodesk to go (Mostly) Subscription Only on 2/1/2016

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Holmes
Autodesk to go (Mostly) Subscription Only on 2/1/2016
on Feb 5, 2015 at 2:50:38 pm

I figure this should stir up the natives around here (it's been kinda quiet):
http://www.autodesk.com/products/perpetuallicenses
http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/02/autodesk-to-go-subscription-only-on-1-febr...

This move does not currently affect the Flame suite of products.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
Re: Autodesk to go (Mostly) Subscription Only on 2/1/2016
on Feb 5, 2015 at 4:09:53 pm

Here's a key passages from yesterdays Studio Daily post:

"Aware of the general resistance to subscription-only software licensing in some corners of the industry, Autodesk is treading cautiously but deliberately. "We will partner with customers through this transition," Autodesk Senior VP of Industry Strategy and Marketing Andrew Anagnost told StudioDaily, clearly contrasting Autodesk's approach with that of Adobe. "We've seen other people do things like this. We don't like the way other people have done these things."

And really key passage:

"Users with perpetual licenses will receive benefits, including software upgrades, as long as their maintenance subscriptions are active. However, multi-year maintenance subscription discounts will be discontinued. If you don't renew your maintenance subscription, you will be able to keep using the upgraded software under your existing perpetual license — but you'll need to purchase a standard desktop subscription in order to get back on the upgrade train later."

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:25:19 pm

[Chris Pettit] ""Users with perpetual licenses will receive benefits, including software upgrades, as long as their maintenance subscriptions are active. However, multi-year maintenance subscription discounts will be discontinued. If you don't renew your maintenance subscription, you will be able to keep using the upgraded software under your existing perpetual license — but you'll need to purchase a standard desktop subscription in order to get back on the upgrade train later.""

Yep. If Adobe offered something like this, we could archive this forum and be done. But I guess Adobe thinks "Like it or leave" and "Burn the boats" is a better business strategy. I suppose if your customers are Wall Street investors, that may be true.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:36:06 pm

I wish to Jupiter and back that Adobe would reconsider their position. I did find a somewhat of an alternative to Photoshop but no safe zones along with no snap to grid is a huge negative. Really hoping that BMD Fusion will be a viable alternative to After Effects, until then a giant sinkhole of frustration!

Also, just read about Apple Photos on Yahoo today, not such a good feeling there.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:12:08 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:14:40 pm

Photos is back on the Apple radar with a long spread on their website. It may not equal Aperture at first, but it will read and correctly interpret Aperture adjustments to RAW images. Big deal. Expect a FCPX type roll out with new fearures added to their new base code platform.
https://www.apple.com/osx/photos-preview/

It has not been relegated to a "now you see it now you don't" position. The beta is out there and Cook said April timeframe. We will see. Since LightRoom is likely to be adopted by me sometime after my death, that sounds good to me. I have used Aperture since the beginning and it's DAM is far superior to LightRoom. When I have critical photos to adjust, I use Capture NX which is perfectly matched to my Nikon RAW NEF's.

Apple is on a roll, in case no one noticed. Flexible rental as offered by Autodesk is OK, much better than Adobe's "Burn the Boats" sop to their stockholders and ** to their users, but I will not trust them again without drastic changes in top management.

If nothing else, this forum is about keeping vendors honest about management/stockholder/user interests. That is where the rubber meets the road, and Adobe is coming up way short for people who care about permanent access to their projects.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:16:33 pm

I am thinking about jumping on the Aperture train but will watch to see in which direction Photos is going.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:34:30 pm

Aperture will run on my current systems for at least the next five years. That plus Photos and Capture NX, and I might just last until Mr. Narayen fades into the sunset, after he has exhausted all of his stock options.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Feb 6, 2015 at 6:14:42 pm

I thought Autodesk made this move about 10 years ago?

Or am I just thinking about AutoCAD and the architectural suite?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:30:45 am

You guys seem to be missing the fact that for new Autodesk customers, the only option is subscription once the policy is full rolled out. The continued perpetual support is only for legacy software owners. For example, you can only "rent" Smoke since about summer of last year.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:42:26 am

[Oliver Peters] "You guys seem to be missing the fact that for new Autodesk customers, the only option is subscription once the policy is full rolled out. The continued perpetual support is only for legacy software owners. For example, you can only "rent" Smoke since about summer of last year."

Right...which is why I was expecting more outrage! It's not that different from what Adobe did, but it does appear like Autodesk marketing couched it in "better" terms so as not to turn people off from the subscription idea nearly as fast as Adobe did.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:53:31 am

[Ryan Holmes] "not that different from what Adobe did, but it does appear like Autodesk marketing couched it in "better" terms so as not to turn people off from the subscription idea nearly as fast as Adobe did"

It's similar to buying CS6 and sticking with that, however, there seem to have been updates to the perpetual licenses. For example, the perpetual version of Smoke just got SP3, while subscriptions got SP2. I don't think these two service packs are necessarily in sync, but I don't know what the differences are. In the case of the other M&E products, Autodesk gave a lot of lead time. With Smoke, you basically had from NAB until the summer of last year.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Feb 7, 2015 at 4:08:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "there seem to have been updates to the perpetual licenses. For example, the perpetual version of Smoke just got SP3, while subscriptions got SP2. I don't think these two service packs are necessarily in sync"

Which brings up a lot of questions about forked production, engineering, R&D, bug fixes, etc which was something Walter Soyka has discussed at length on here in regards to Adobe's move to the Cloud. Given how niche the Smoke/Flame world is though this is bound to have minimal impact on most here at the Cow or across the industry as a whole. Adobe, Avid, and Apple have a far broader market base in the Media & Entertainment space.

However, Autodesk is ginormous in the CAD/architectural space. But I believe they've been subscription based for some of their products already. So the remaining ones are moving over to that model as well.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 7, 2015 at 8:35:35 pm

I heard that autodesk are making quiet deals with some uk post production houses on smoke that aren't in the mood to go subscription with smoke as currently architected.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 9, 2015 at 1:34:45 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I heard that autodesk are making quiet deals with some uk post production houses on smoke that aren't in the mood to go subscription with smoke as currently architected."

Is that Flame Assist -- which is Smoke re-named, but only available to Flame customers -- or something else?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Feb 9, 2015 at 8:34:35 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Is that Flame Assist -- which is Smoke re-named, but only available to Flame customers -- or something else?"

Walter....from the article I linked to:

[fxguide] "Large facilities such as Double Negative, MPC, and ILM have large-scale agreements with Autodesk regarding licensing, so this change is likely to have little impact for them. However, if you're managing a facility with 20 users and 10 licenses, the move to user-based subscription opens up a can of worms. Instead of simply quitting the software, an artist needs to log out of the user-based account and then that login needs to be used by another artist."

I'm not sure if it's as Aindreas says, that they don't want to go subscription. It's probably tied to how they administer the licenses as large facilities commonly ramp up and down per project and need the flexibility of a floating license not tied to a user or even a particular computer.

[fxguide] "Anagnost feels that if a company isn't a cloud and subscription based software company in 5 years, they won't be a software company at all. So instead of continuing two different development paths, they aim to focus on one and not dilute resources."

I found this statement thought provoking. Autodesk appears to believe quite firmly that if your primary business is software and you aren't using the cloud and (or?) a subscription model then that company won't be around in 5 years time. While that may be an exaggeration of sorts, it's worth thinking about as nearly every software company is now moving to either (1) cloud based distribution, and/or (2) subscription models - Red Giant, Adobe, Autodesk, Avid. Even Apple moved to cloud based distribution, (but technically Apple isn't a "software" company so they can make their own rules! ;-).

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Feb 9, 2015 at 7:59:25 pm

Aindreas!
Huh, nice to read!
Here to stay?
Welcome back?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 9, 2015 at 1:33:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] " For example, the perpetual version of Smoke just got SP3, while subscriptions got SP2"

Autodesk delivers bug fixes in Service Packs (SP) and features in Extensions (EXT).

They typically deliver one extension per year for the current release, and some number of service packs going back several releases, back-porting new bug fixes to previous releases.

The current releases are Smoke 2015 SP3 (perpetual) and Smoke 2015 Desktop Extension 1 SP2 (subscription).

[Ryan Holmes] "Which brings up a lot of questions about forked production, engineering, R&D, bug fixes, etc which was something Walter Soyka has discussed at length on here in regards to Adobe's move to the Cloud."

Exactly. Wouldn't you rather see Autodesk putting their limited resources into better 10.9/10.10 support, or dual GPU support on the nMP, or a revamped text tool?

[Oliver Peters] "In the case of the other M&E products, Autodesk gave a lot of lead time. With Smoke, you basically had from NAB until the summer of last year."

Autodesk seemed to change the rules mid-stream on Smoke. I was on an active maintenance contract, which in years past entitled me to both service packs and extensions -- but Autodesk decided that the new features they developed and released during my maintenance contract would only be available to subscription customers. That did not match my understanding of what I was paying for with my maintenance contract (previously called subscription). That's too bad. Timeline LUTs and Matchbox is kind of a big deal. This is ironically pushing me back toward Ae/Pr for finishing.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Feb 7, 2015 at 4:22:01 pm

fxguide has a good write-up showing some pros/cons for Autodesk, Adobe, and others in terms of subscription licensing and facility based workflows (the article is not geared so much for individual users, but towards some of the problems post facilities have with floating licenses, user based accounts, and internet based software authentication).

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/autodesk-going-subscription-only-heres-how-...

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]