4. ExxonMobil, 2008 3Q – $15.27 billion
5. Apple, 2014 1Q – $13.10 billion
6. Apple, 2013 1Q – $13.08 billion
7. Apple, 2012 1Q – $13.06 billion
8. ExxonMobil, 2007 4Q – $12.53 billion
9. Apple, 2012 2Q – $11.6 billion
10. ExxonMobil, 2005 4Q – $12.28 billion

That's the number to watch. Up 38%

Its cash pile ballooned to the point that it could buy about 480 of the S&P 500 companies outright. $178 billion.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Gav Bott
Re: Apple Posts Biggest Quarterly Earnings of any Company EVER
on Jan 28, 2015 at 3:37:00 am

Australian media response to this news:
http://www.smh.com.au/business/apples-803-million-australian-tax-bill-revea...

Can expect UK response to be similar.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:02:23 am

One one hand that's, just, wow... amazing. On the other hand 69% of the company's revenue is from the iPhone. As an investor it's kinda scary, IMO, that so many eggs are in the basket of a maturing product line without an obvious successor waiting in the wings.

iPad sales are shrinking, AppleTV is still in hobby status... if the Watch doesn't do gang busters I'm not sure what will pick up the slack once the iPhone growth levels off.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 28, 2015 at 6:51:42 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "As an investor it's kinda scary, IMO, that so many eggs are in the basket of a maturing product line without an obvious successor waiting in the wings."

So true. I also wonder what risks investors are taking on the Adobe side should they not meet subscriber expectations, referring to the number of people signed up and ones that subscribe at a later date.

With the numbers up there that far, worried what a market correction could bring. Stocks are like a slot machine, one minute they can pay huge, rewarding dividends and growth, the next minute, off to the cleaners. At least that how the market has been behaving recently.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 28, 2015 at 6:55:20 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Jan 28, 2015 at 7:01:36 pm

That 's a lot of cash for R&D, etc. Chinese market barely tapped. Now #1 there. India still basically virgin territory Low teens % in adoption of iPhone 6 for existing customers. Lot of potential there. And the Mac is the only major desktop/laptop computer system showing growth, up 14% year over year, others in this sector in decline. I would imagine any company would like to have Apple's problems. It's not just the stock price which was up almost 9% today last time I checked. Apple has returned to investors $103 billion in dividends and stock buybacks, $57 billion in 2014 alone. They are sharing the profits in more ways than just stock appreciation. BTW, Adobe does not pay dividends.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Jan 28, 2015 at 8:35:40 pm

Also they had tons of switchers from Android, which will most likely renew on iPhone 7.
And I think the Apple Watch is going to be huge, specially among teens, I'm a happy investor. On the Pro side, it doesn't matter much to them anymore.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 28, 2015 at 9:25:34 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on Jan 28, 2015 at 9:27:45 pm

I'm not saying Apple is going to implode tomorrow, next year or even 5 years from now, but wondering what will replace the iPhone (in terms of growth and revenue) when the iPhone plateaus (like all products do) is a valid long term concern, IMO. Mac sales? The personal computer market is tapped out in terms of growth. Growth sectors are in mobile devices and "the Internet of things".

The iPad was the presumed heir apparent to the iPhone but people apparently don't gobble up new iPads like they do iPhones (and iPods before that). AppleTV has been hanging around for years but I think technology (and the movie/TV industry) has outpaced Apple in this sector. When AppleTV first came out getting streaming Internet content from your computer to your TV was a pain. Now TVs have that feature built in (as do Blu-ray players, video game consoles, and a host of set-top-box devices) and there is a host of competition in the streaming VOD market (Sony, Amazon, Microsoft, Hulu, YouTube, VUDU, ePix, etc.,). Much different world than when the iPod and iTMS rock the music industry a decade ago.

Wall Street likes growth and Apple at times has been a victim of their own success. Even when they hit home runs sometimes people are disappointed that it wasn't a grand slam and the stock drops. Lots of eyes on the Apple Watch for obvious reasons and the fact that the Watch has to be 'tethered' to an iPhone will certainly help move more iPhones.

David,
I agree that the stock market is pretty much legalized gambling.

**EDIT**
Meant to add that Adobe Marketing Cloud (web marketing and analytics service) is a large and growing part of Adobe's revenue. I expect it will become Adobe's main source of revenue in the future.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jan 28, 2015 at 11:38:47 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Jan 28, 2015 at 11:42:39 pm

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/how-much-would-forrest-gumps-apple-sto...

I guess at that time i would have put maybe $1000. and now i would have about 200 million.
shoot why didnt i choose apple instead of tandy.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:54:51 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jan 30, 2015 at 12:02:42 am

The iPhone sales are astounding, but it might not be such a good thing for Apple's own product diversity. This could be completely unrelated, but folks on the 'net have noticed that Apple has removed all reference to its upcoming Photos desktop app from the Apple website.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/01/photos-for-os-x-removed-from-apples-websit...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 30, 2015 at 12:32:11 am

[Oliver Peters] "The iPhone sales are astounding, but it might not be such a good thing for Apple's own product diversity. This could be completely unrelated, but folks on the 'net have noticed that Apple has removed all reference to its upcoming Photos desktop app from the Apple website.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/01/photos-for-os-x-removed-from-apples-websit....."

Dollars to donuts the Photos team called pulled to help out on the Watch (it's probably all hands on deck over there getting the Watch ready for the April launch).

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:03:20 pm

It is much more likely that they have run into difficulties integrating the Photos application with iCloud and allowing it to transparently run on OSX and iOS. With $178 billion cash on hand, They have plenty of resources to hire engineers and get many new products and applications out the door. I doubt there is much crossover between the Photos group and the iWatch at any rate. I'm sure it will follow the same path as FCP X, introduction with fewer features than Aperture (which I use heavily) and fast incremental and most likely free upgrades to the point where it will take it's place alongside FCP X as a very capable application that is used in professional settings. After all, they seem to be doing something right. The Mac is the only computer platform gaining sales year over year, all the rest are down. See http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/business/how-and-why-apple-overtook-micro... for the New York Times take.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 30, 2015 at 6:08:05 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "It is much more likely that they have run into difficulties integrating the Photos application with iCloud and allowing it to transparently run on OSX and iOS. With $178 billion cash on hand, They have plenty of resources to hire engineers and get many new products and applications out the door. I doubt there is much crossover between the Photos group and the iWatch at any rate."

Apple isn't one to expand the workforce at their HQ to meet a deadline and then shrink it back down again after the fact. Unless something has fundamentally changed under Cook that's not how Apple rolls. They will move teams around internally from less pressing projects onto more pressing projects. The most notable example was probably when Apple delayed the release of OS X (I don't remember which version off hand) to focus on iOS.

The Watch can be used to view photos so I assume the Photos team needs to be involved on some level. Many tech companies look for "T" shaped employees (light knowledge in many areas while having very deep knowledge in a specific area) so I'd bet the engineers on the Photos team are good enough to help out other teams even if they aren't doing their specialty.

[Jim Wiseman] "After all, they seem to be doing something right. The Mac is the only computer platform gaining sales year over year, all the rest are down. See http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/business/how-and-why-apple-overtook-micro..... for the New York Times take."

What they did right was not get caught up in the race-to-the-bottom PC wars that gutted all the other computer manufacturers while simultaneously focusing on making "the next great thing" because, as Jobs said in 1996, MS already won the PC wars. By conceding 'defeat' I think that freed Jobs to really be able to look at future products as opposed to staying caught-up in trying to win the PC wars.

Tim Cook's pre-CEO time at Apple can't be understated either. After he was brought in in the late '90's he drastically streamlined their supply chain (by shifting it to a Just In Time model) while also making long term deals with parts suppliers. These long term deals not only saved Apple money but they also sucked up so much of the available parts inventory that competitors were essentially boxed out and forced to live hand to mouth while Apple's got first dibs.

The list of what Apple did right can go on for awhile but for the sake over brevity I'm just going to mention two more things quickly. Ive's design and Jobs' salesmanship (his "reality distortion field"). Ive made tech devices that didn't like toys or cheap, plastic boxes and Jobs could sell saltwater to people sailing in the Pacific Ocean. To be honest, if I had to rank them, I'd put Jobs' salesmanship as number 1. Not only his ability to call a tablet computer "magical" and have the whole world swoon in agreement but his ability to attract and retain top talent because they believed in the vision Jobs' had.

Interesting to note that the final few paragraphs in your NYT link voice the same concerns that I've voiced in this thread.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 31, 2015 at 1:04:17 am

Although Jobs was undoubtedly an excellent salesman, he was also, I and many others would say, the most potent visionary of the personal computer revolution. That plus his legendary focus and attention to detail, plus his ability to inspire and drive the smartest, most talented people he could find to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks. Bringing the Mac and the iPhone to market. Dreams accomplished in record time. Finding and giving Jonny Ive his head to create incredible designs that people really wanted is a good example. I think history will bear the influence of Steve Jobs out.

Look at the list, the Apple II, first truly useful and successful personal computer (and with color no less), the Macintosh with it's graphic non ASCII interface, the iPod, the iPad, the iPhone, the iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, New Mac Pro with it's revolutionary design (that was probably mostly Cook and Ive, BTW), etc., etc. Regarding the Mac, the concept for the GUI was invented at Xerox PARC. It was rather primitive. I know as I was given a tour of the facility and the systems before Jobs ever saw the Xerox prototypes. I was a personal friend of their one man video department shooter, editor, producer, Jim Mayer. Jobs and company brought that concept much closer to perfection (given early 80's technology) with the first Mac at a price point far below what Xerox was envisioning.

He was way more than a "reality distortion field". He also "got" the concept of creating the hardware and software within one company and making it exclusive as well making it as perfect as he and his staff could. That is what the other computer and mobile devices haven't successfully been able to come to grips with. It is more important than the race to the bottom we have seen that has driven profits into the ground for other PC and mobile device makers that can only compete primarily on price and must share the same OS and applications. The iPhone has a margin of over 40% on phones that retail for up to $949 for a loaded 6 Plus and average about $749 for the most popular standard 6 phones. Even at that both model 6 phones are currently outselling all others worldwide. They can't make them fast enough. Also because people recognize the value and the beauty of them. They want them and are willing to pay for them. I read that Microsoft's margin on their phone is only about $45 and their penetration is less than 2%. It has come down to iOS and Android, and their makers margins are much less than Apple's.

He has been gone for a number of years and Apple sales have exploded without him. They have done this precisely because of Job's favorite mantra "Don't give people what they want, give them what they don't yet know they want". That and excellent, cost effective execution lead by Tim Cook. No reality distortion field there, but I doubt if many are calling for his resignation after this quarter! People just want Apple's products. Personally, I couldn't be happier with my New Mac Pro, my iPad and my iPhone 5s (soon to be a 6 or 6 Plus) and my Apple TV, all of which work beautifully together. I guess that is obvious by now!

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 31, 2015 at 5:55:31 am

[Jim Wiseman] "He was way more than a "reality distortion field". "

Jobs was certainly more than just the RDF but the RDF goes hand in hand with people not knowing what they want until you show it to them mantra. Consumers didn't know what they wanted until Jobs told them what they wanted and few people could command an audience like Jobs could. Look at all the other CEOs and VPs in tech and none of them have anywhere close to the charisma that Jobs did. Put Jobs on stage for MS instead of Gates (who's dorky) or Steve "Developers! Developers! Developers!" Ballmer and the Zune or the Surface or Windows version XYZ would instantly do better against their Apple counterparts.

When people asked why there weren't any flash memory based iPod Jobs said that people just toss those in the junk drawn because they can't hold enough songs. Not too much later out came the iPod Shuffle. When people asked why you can't play video on an iPod Jobs said no one wants to watch video on such a tiny screen. Not too much later a new iPod came out that could playback video. When Jobs was asked about eReaders he said it's a dead end market because no one reads anymore. Two years later he's on stage talking about how awesome the iPad is as an eReader and giving props to Amazon for blazing a trail with the Kindle (only time I can remember Jobs giving props to a competitor during a keynote).

With Jobs at the helm every Apple product was perfect as is and if it didn't have feature X it's because you didn't need and/or want feature X and people believed him. His ability to spin and charm was amazing. I think a large part of it was because Apple was his company and he was bestowing upon the world his vision. He wasn't a hired gun CEO. Neither was Gates of course but as previously mentioned Gates had none of Jobs' charm.

[Jim Wiseman] "He has been gone for a number of years and Apple sales have exploded without him. They have done this precisely because of Job's favorite mantra "Don't give people what they want, give them what they don't yet know they want". That and excellent, cost effective execution lead by Tim Cook. "

Well yes and no. Many people like larger screen phones (apparently especially in China) and Apple didn't offer them but Samsung did so Samsung got those sales. Apple finally releases larger screen phones (which people want) and they sell like hotcakes (even though Jobs' said the proportions of the iPhone were perfect and no one would want a bigger phone). On this same topic, there is a rumor of a bigger iPad coming out (an iPad Pro if you will) and it will have a stylus (and we all know what Jobs thought about styluses).

Part of Apple's success is certainly releasing products with a specific vision and not allowing feature creep to happen, but a bigger part of Apple's success, IMO, is their ability to convince users that Apple's products are the products they want (even after previously scoffed at features get added). The Watch is the first new product line to be released without Jobs so that just adds to the significance of it. I've got a lot of Apple hardware (as well as Apple stock) so I'm not looking for schadenfreude, but I'm not keen on wearing rose colored glasses either.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 31, 2015 at 6:03:11 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Jan 31, 2015 at 6:51:06 pm

I still don't believe, even with his charm and charisma, that Jobs could convince people that if an Apple product didn't have what they wanted, they didn't need it. The iPhone 6 Plus is the latest example with it's larger screen. I think he was so involved with the products Apple released even he had a blind spot for missing features. Now that the iPhone 6 Plus is out, Samsung is taking a huge hit. Mobile phone sales down 21% in 2014. Tied in sales numbers with Apple, but much less profitable. They are also in a big fight with Google to differentiate Android on their phones to give them competitive advantages, which Google won't allow. One alternative is going to Windows Phone which would leave them in the same beholden boat. There is even talk of them developing their own OS. See AppleInsider for article on Apple/Samsung yesterday.

Back on point, he is the one who blazed the trail on each of these new product segments. His charisma and hands on approach also pushed the people at Apple to do more than they thought they could do to bring about full fledged beautifully designed products that may have had ungainly predecessors in a few cases. But no one could put together the full experience in a complete ecosystem the way Apple could and still does. Not everyone who gobbled up Apple products was at the Keynotes. Most didn't even know they were happening (though I was at several). They went to the Apple Stores (also Steve's idea, with laser focused design) and fell in love with the things they saw. The products, and iOS and OSX. The average consumer did not fall in love with Jobs, they fell in love with the products and the functionality only a focused hardware/software ecosystem can provide.

And BTW, as an aside to Oliver's report, during his earnings statement, Cook said that Photos is still on track for late April, but they are obviously buying a bit of wiggle room. It is coming. Whether or not it meets my personal needs I will have to decide. Aperture Libraries are supposed to import with all photo adjustments intact. That is a very big consideration. My current Aperture will work for many years with my current hardware, at any rate. My choice, however will not be LightRoom. I dislike their separate modules and it is far behind Aperture and other competition in organizational capability. And I refuse to rent my software. Capture One is looking very good, and has much better transfer capability. You can import your Aperture Library directly and still be able to use it in Aperture afterwards. Self organizing in Capture One, with at least an attempt to maintain RAW adjustments. Not just baked in JPGS or huge TIFFs as with LightRoom.

Remember, there were a lot of naysayers about the MacPro up until it was released at the last moment in 2013. And it was not only there on time, it was revolutionary. I love mine. And it is perfectly matched to Apple software. And Macs are ignored by other creative software companies at the expense of large market share. If you don't like the Apple software, there are many other choices, even if you have to rent some for life.

Also, Andrew, congratulations on the Apple stock. Hit an all time high briefly yesterday, and can't see much but upside. I'd be a much wealthier man if I hadn't needed to build this house almost 30 years ago. Yes, I sold my Apple stock then.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 1, 2015 at 4:33:04 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "I still don't believe, even with his charm and charisma, that Jobs could convince people that if an Apple product didn't have what they wanted, they didn't need it. "

Isn't that the whole premise behind people don't know what they want until you show it to them? The Apple position is that every product is perfect. Every aspect, even omitted features, are done so by via thoughtful design and for the greater good of the user experience. The list of competing product features that were dismissed by Jobs, only to later be included on Apple products, is huge. Just look at the iPhone. The original didn't have features like MMS, folders for organization, multitasking or even the ability to change the background image on the home screen. Excuses were made about why those things would result in a subpar user experience and that's why they weren't part of the iPhone.

Low and behold all those features slowly made their way onto the iPhone and every time they did Jobs would either come off as Apple was the first the implement them or Apple was the first to implement them 'properly' and most people would eat it up because they had little to no experience or awareness of things that weren't Apple.

Before I had an iPhone I had a Palm Pre running WebOS and even WebOS 1.x was so far beyond iOS in many respects that when I finally got an iPhone (it was a 4S running iOS 5) I felt like I had gone back in time. iOS felt like (and in many ways still feels like) a first generation mobile OS that still had some transitional/desktop-centric type thinking where as WebOS felt like it was a 2nd generation, refined mobile OS experience. If Palm was still around I'd most likely still be using a WebOS phone and tablet.

[Jim Wiseman] "Back on point, he is the one who blazed the trail on each of these new product segments. His charisma and hands on approach also pushed the people at Apple to do more than they thought they could do to bring about full fledged beautifully designed products that may have had ungainly predecessors in a few cases. But no one could put together the full experience in a complete ecosystem the way Apple could and still does. "

Totally agree.

[Jim Wiseman] "Not everyone who gobbled up Apple products was at the Keynotes. Most didn't even know they were happening (though I was at several). "

Agreed, though you don't need to watch a keynote to get a dose of jobs. He has been on dozens of magazine covers over the years. From tech (Wired) to business (Fortune) to mainstream (Time, 8 times) and his biography was the best selling book of 2011 even though it came out in late October of that year. Not to mention the second of two biopics is in the works. Dude was a pop culture icon and, household name. Even if you didn't watch the keynotes odds are you were friends with people that did (and they'd give you the highlights) and/or you'd read news articles about what transpired at them.

It's like herd immunity, but inverted. Once you have a core group locked in they influence their peers, and then those people influence their peers and on and on until the product's name becomes synonymous with the entire product category (i.e. calling all soft drinks Coke or all facial tissues Kleenex).

[Jim Wiseman] "Remember, there were a lot of naysayers about the MacPro up until it was released at the last moment in 2013."

There are still a lot of naysayers about the nMP. I wouldn't put myself in the naysayers camp, but I'm still conflicted about the nMPs even though I waited years for that line to get ugraded. It's certainly a great looking machine (and marvelously engineered) but it's also the least expandable and upgradeable MP ever. Thats the trend across all the Mac product lineup (soldered in RAM and SSDs, etc.,) and it's disconcerting. I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread or another one, but since I'm no longer tied to Mac-only software I'm considering picking up a new PC for work for the first time in around 15 years.

[Jim Wiseman] "Also, Andrew, congratulations on the Apple stock. Hit an all time high briefly yesterday, and can't see much but upside. I'd be a much wealthier man if I hadn't needed to build this house almost 30 years ago. Yes, I sold my Apple stock then."

If the Old Me could go back in time I would definitely tell the Young Me he can spare $50 to pick up a few shares of APPL back when it was like $5, but such is life when it comes to stocks (or lottery numbers). haha

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 1, 2015 at 8:53:14 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 1, 2015 at 9:12:22 pm

Andrew, agree with you on many of these points. However there are a few I don't. If Web OS was so great, it would still be around. Although it wouldn't be the first time a product that some users like yourself called superior was beat out by another competitor. Betamax vs VHS, early Mac OS vs early Windows, etc. In both cases I believe the former was there first and also technologically and/or in user friendliness, a superior implementation. In those examples marketing and the herd instinct definitely took over. That, and in the case of Windows and the PC box makers, a perceived price differential. The beginning of the race to the bottom?

But no one had the vision for the mobile platform that Jobs did for the iPhone. That and the determination to move the Macs graphic interface to touch with color on a shirt pocket sized platform that just made you want it. A good advocate doesn't point out the weaknesses in their product. I'm quite sure Jobs knew where he wanted to the iPhone to go, but it had to start somewhere, as did all of Apple's products. I think he would be quite proud of it's current overwhelming success, and would have to admit he was wrong about larger iPhone sizes.

When you look at it, Windows 98 copied the look and some of the function of Mac OS, but with almost none of the approachability or panache. Samsung blatantly copied the iPhone interface. They still owe Apple $1 billion in court judgements for various forms of patent infringement.

I don't disagree that currently, for some, the MS platform with tower architecture is better for if you want a hot rod platform, especially those using Adobe software. But Adobe could use the nMP platform to much better advantage if they wanted. Since FCP Legacy came out Adobe has been primarily catering to PC users. Because of that and Flash rejection, Apple was a major competitor. Even though Adobe probably wouldn't even exist if Apple hadn't licensed Postscript from Adobe for the first Laserwiter. Another Apple groundbreaker that turned graphic design and publishing upside down.

I will still stick to my thesis that Steve Jobs, even if he were a religious prophet, could not have taken Apple to their current position unless they were selling what people wanted in a quite superior hardware and software ecosystem. All they had to do was walk into an Apple Store. The products sell themselves.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Feb 1, 2015 at 11:02:21 pm

Apple boxes really took off when the apple stores opened. before that they could not compete in pricing and features when they sat next to pc in sears and other places. and the ipod became big only after i tunes for windows showed up.

and newton well, you know.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 9, 2015 at 7:13:02 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Andrew, agree with you on many of these points. However there are a few I don't. If Web OS was so great, it would still be around"

Long story short Palm ran out of money, and even if Palm had more money I don't know if they would've been able to get a foothold given the already existing dominance of Google and Apple. MS could make the greatest phone ever (both from a hardware perspective and a software perspective) but it probably wouldn't matter at this stage in the game and MS has deep pockets. Until Google or Apple really screws up it's going to basically stay a two company market.

[Jim Wiseman] " I'm quite sure Jobs knew where he wanted to the iPhone to go, but it had to start somewhere, as did all of Apple's products. I think he would be quite proud of it's current overwhelming success, and would have to admit he was wrong about larger iPhone sizes. "

Admit? No. Spin? Yes.

Quote from Jobs during a earnings call about the iPad (emphasis mine):
"Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

Jobs didn't admitted anything Apple did was less than perfect ("you are holding it wrong") which is why I was stunned when he gave Amazon props for the Kindle being a trailblazer when just a couple years prior he said eReaders were DOA because no one reads any more. Not an admission of being wrong, but about as close to it as I think Jobs ever got (at least publicly). Even in the Jobs biography (which I just started reading) Isaacson makes an off hand comment that when he was a tech writer and interviewed Jobs, Jobs pitched all current Apple products, whatever they were, as perfect.

[Jim Wiseman] "But Adobe could use the nMP platform to much better advantage if they wanted."

Can you expand on that? While Adobe's GPU acceleration started out as Nvidia only they started adding OpenCL support a few years ago and I think achieved parity in performance last year or the year before. The only problems I've read about with Adobe products and nMPs have been OS X related (bad GPU drivers from Apple in Mavericks). Resolve users are having similar issues. Boot into OS X 10.9.x and there are problems if the GPU acceleration is turned on (no problems in software/CPU mode). Boot into Windows via Boot Camp on the same machine and there are no problems with GPU acceleration.

[Jim Wiseman] "I will still stick to my thesis that Steve Jobs, even if he were a religious prophet, could not have taken Apple to their current position unless they were selling what people wanted in a quite superior hardware and software ecosystem. "

How does that jive with Jobs' quote about people not knowing what they want until you show it to them?

Of course Apple is selling what people want. Apple is also telling people what they what. Apple is second to none at telling people what they want and having people believe them. The brand has so much prestige now that people do just walk into the Apple store and buy something with the Apple logo because they think it's the best (no one ever go fired buying buying IBM... er... Apple mobile devices), or the coolest, and everything else is second rate. Apple is Coke and everything else is generic, store brand cola.

Superior hardware and software really depends on what one's idea of superior is. If someone wants things like a replaceable battery, a Micro SD slot, a more universal connector, not being limited to only using the official app store, more customization, etc., then Apple does not offer a superior mobile device. One can't argue with the popularity of Apple's brand (and by extension its devices) but popularity and superiority aren't the same thing.

I've just started reading the biography on Jobs and the following I think is a nifty insight into the man. He experimented with many extreme diets and one was an all fruit and vegetable diet. One of the benefits, according to Jobs, was that he no longer produced body odor so he stopped showering. Around college age he got a job (I don't recall which one) and the existing staff refused to work with him because he smelled bad and was an ass. Jobs got moved to the night shift where he worked alone.

Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, WebOS... to varying degrees I've used all of them over the past 5 years or so though I've been overwhelmingly Apple-centric since I got my first Mac in '02.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]