FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop and Adobe CC

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Chay
Laptop and Adobe CC
on Sep 20, 2016 at 1:56:29 pm

So I've decided to go with Adobe CC and looking at laptops.

Here are the specs I'm looking at now on an HP Workstation

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-6820HQ Quad-Core
Upgraded to 64GB RAM
17.3" UWVA IPS Anti-Glare Display
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M Graphics Card (4GB)
Full HD 1920 x 1080 Screen Resolution
512GB PCIe SSD + 1TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.2
Windows 7 Pro + Windows 10 Pro License

Will this be enough to edit 4k files? Or do I need more beef?

(I'm also looking at Mac Pro but it bothers me Apple hasn't updated that computer in 3 years.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Laptop and Adobe CC
on Sep 22, 2016 at 6:28:45 am

since you haven't gotten a response yet from any of the other members of the board, I would say that that laptop is probably as good as you're going to get to do 4k in today's market. 4 GB video card probably will drive it just fine, but even with my 2 GB video card and only a single camera I found that 4K seems to stutter no matter what type of external drive I'm using. I think that a Thunderbolt base drive maybe raid zero for actually doing the editing might be the best option and using the 7200 RPM drive you mention as a non primary storage device. it's my opinion that we really need a new generation of processors to get us over the current Intel i7s. it seems like Moore's law has finally reached its limits

Al

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Oct 27, 2016 at 7:10:58 pm

Thanks Al,

I bought it and it working on a couple of 4k projects on it now. This laptop is very fast and chugging along nicely. Using Thunderbolt 3 and SSD external raid 0 is more than enough speed.

The new Mac Book Pro just announced today. Top of the line will cost you close to $5k with 16gb of RAM.
That's almost double the cost of my HP. They are going downhill fast.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 27, 2016 at 10:21:51 pm

That's great to hear. I haven't spent much time on today's processors, but they appear to have definitely sped up things. Yes, though the Mac Pro certainly has some advantages over a laptop, I think you are right that it is quite costly, and limited to a niche market. While I certainly don't think I'll move to Windows for my next machine, I tend to stay one generation behind to reduce the costs. Probably a current generation laptop will do the job fine. Best of luck to you.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]