FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac specs for the Adobe Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MTomato
Mac specs for the Adobe Creative Cloud
on Feb 21, 2016 at 8:48:06 am
Last Edited By MTomato on Feb 21, 2016 at 11:34:32 am

I am a video artist who primarily uses After Effects, Final Cut/Premiere, Illust, PS, and ID. I'd like to learn 3D animating in the future. A few years ago I swapped my Mac tower for a laptop (see specs below) when moving abroad. Sadly, making this downgrade drastically slowed and in some cases halted the work flow I was accustomed to. I'm currently using CS6, but will eventually move to the Creative Cloud.

I have 3 questions here.

Question 1:
Where did I go wrong with my MacBook Pro? (note: I'm currently using CS6 with this) My brother in-law (IT person) said it's always a wise idea to double what Adobe suggest for RAM - so instead of 8 -I should have gotten 16 GB.

MacBook Pro
15-inch, Mid 2012
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Serial Number C02K11DDF1G4
Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F2560)

Question 2:
So now, I'm finally breaking down and getting a new mac to start afresh. Since I cannot afford the Mac Pro tower, I'm instead thinking an iMac. Is it necessary and worth it financially & performance-wise to fully max out the 27-inch retina? or would the 21 inch maxed-out be sufficient, or perhaps the 27 with less ram? Below is what I was thinking, which is the most expensive of the iMacs. OR alternatively...are iMacs just not powerful enough.

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - four 8GB
256GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory
Magic Mouse 2
Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
Accessory Kit

Question 3: This will be my first time using smaller flash storage drives. I plan to transfer completed projects to an external. Is the shift to an only 256 GB flash drive a steep learning curve for the work-flow? Or will the increased performance make it all worth it.

Thanks kindly for reading through my questions, I appreciate any help to these questions that have lingering in my head for a while.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]