FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Hardware

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Mac Hardware
on Nov 17, 2015 at 6:12:35 pm

Hi all;

We have 6 older MacPro towers going back to 2007. Most are 2010 4.1 or 5.1 machines. All are pretty maxed out, except for graphic cards which we will be upgrading soon as we migrate to Premier CC 2015. At that point we have gone as far as we can. We have the Aja Kona LH cards in all the machines to a Blackmagic router system. Each Mac has 4 terabytes of very fast RAID media (560MB/sec)

What are you guys doing with the new MacPro trash cans and your external PCI card needs? Does the MacPro's internal video card stand up to say the Nvidia GTX 980Ti? I'm actually thinking of upgrading our oldest MacPro tower to a 2010 5.1 12 core model and souping it up, rather than a trash can and a Thunderboldt PCI breakout box.

Anyone have both a trash can MacPro and an old tower with similar RAM and graphics card and drives and can comment on performance between the two? BTW, all our Macs are in a server room and we run long USB and monitor cables to each workstation. 42" Plasma monitors are in each room and signals can be routed via SDI to each monitor independently via the Blackmagic router taking the signal off each Macs Aja card. It's pretty slick with the PCI cards inside....

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
Re: Mac Hardware
on Dec 29, 2015 at 7:48:03 pm

Interesting that you did not receive any replies to this. I'm in a similar situation. my client has four 2010 mac pro towers and we are looking to upgrade to either maxed out imacs or trashcan macpros and I'm trying to see what solution people are using for a breakout box of some kind to externally monitor video and audio.

I would be curious to know if you have solved your issue to your liking.

thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Dec 29, 2015 at 8:12:40 pm

I have five maxed out Mac Pro 5,1. Sadly my 2014 MBP Retina with 16 MB RAM beats it in overall FCP X mp4 rendering (5 hours to 1 hr on MBPro), After FX CS6 and CC2015 is 4.5 hours to 1 hour. Substantial processing tie difference. If this is the case, I think the black cylinder Mac Pro will outperform the 2010. Factoring the energy cost to run these Mac Pro (about 350-500W), in the long run the black cylinder MPro may be a good upgrade after all. The only value I seewith the older Mac Pros are the four SATA drive bays and legacy PCI-e expansion. I can put up to 32 Tb of nearline storage on the internal 4 trays and use the OWC 3.5->5 1/4" adaptor in the free DVD-R slot. When 10-16 Tb hdds come out, I can have up to 64 Tb of near line file storage to tackle the ever growing 4K raw footage content.

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on Dec 29, 2015 at 8:19:10 pm

Thanks, Sam.

Storage isn't really an issue for us. We are connected to a 280tb NAS. We are mainly concerned with performance in edit, using Adobe CC, along with encoding. While 4k is not a consideration now, I'm assuming it will be within a year of so.

Mike

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Dec 30, 2015 at 1:31:24 am

Speaking of 4K:

90% of my most profitable acquisition-post prod-delivery are still in 720-1080p! And it looks like for many years to come, just like the silver tower Mac Pro fr 2006-2012 era. 8K is on the horizon within this decade. I'll let the 4K (lenses, high-end cams) craze to go by when 8K will make 4K obsolete within this decade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]