FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple CC apps running cause kernel panic on iMac?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnny mabie
Multiple CC apps running cause kernel panic on iMac?
on Jun 12, 2014 at 8:14:30 pm

COW! HELP!

SETUP:
Jan 2014 iMac
3.5 GHz i7
32GB, 1TB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB Graphics
OS X 10.9.3
Wacom Intuous Pro
Loaded.
Updated.

Adobe CC full suite, updated.

USE:
From Illustrator to After Effects, to Muse, I use the entire suite daily. Often I'll have any assortment open at one time, i.e. Ai, Ps, Pr, Ae, and Au all open, working between them (although having this many at once is rare).

PROBLEM:
I'm getting sporadic "crashes" where my mac suddenly quits, goes to grey screen and tells me "Your mac was restarted because of a problem."

It seems to happen only when I have a hefty load of CC apps open, most notably when one is a large Muse project.

I found this article from Apple that tells me the problem is probably a "kernel Panic"...
But this only leads me to reinstalling / updating CC or OSX, which it already is.

I've gotten the dreaded finger point from both companies' Support lines.
Laughably, Apple tells me to uninstall all Adobe products and use the computer "normally" for TWO WEEKS to see if the problem still happens... what am I supposed to do... browse 40 tabs of Reddit for two weeks? Thanks "Genius".

Does this happen to anyone else? Any troubleshooting ideas? I could always stick to only 1-2 apps at a time, but that defeats the purpose of buying this iMac! ugh.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Multiple CC apps running cause kernel panic on iMac?
on Jun 12, 2014 at 10:21:52 pm

There is nothing in application space that can cause a kernel panic. That can only be caused by items that have access to the kernel, such as drivers. The fact that the problem occurs mostly when you are using a lot of applications at once suggests that the heavy use of some resource (e.g., the GPU) is causing bad behavior in interaction between the OS and a driver (e.g., a video/graphics driver).

I have seen several inconclusive threads about problems with graphics drivers on Mac OS X v10.9.3, so this further leads me to suspect that the issue may be in that area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Matthew Unruh
Re: Multiple CC apps running cause kernel panic on iMac?
on Nov 18, 2014 at 8:07:57 pm

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
2.66 GHz i7
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
OSX Yosemite
Adobe CC Full Suite Updated

I've been having what seems to be a similar problem with crashes. Seemed to be getting worse. chatted with my IT guy. He read the crash report - was a GPU panic, not a kernel panic. He wondered if I needed a new logic board. Then suggested I run a hardware test. Can't seem to get that working (hold 'd' down on restart when you hear the chime). So I'm not sure if that graphics card is suspect or not. However, he also suggested that I download this https://gfx.io which at minimum tells you which GPU is running the integrated or discreet. The discreet is the NVIDA which is more power hungry. When I tried to force it to only run on the integrated GPU the program told me that I couldn't while the Adobe Creative Cloud menu bar app was running. When I shut that off, gfxCardStatus told me that OS X automatically switched the GPU to the integrated. So the CC app is forcing the discreet GPU to be running all the time. I'm going to shut off the CC menu bar app and see if I keep getting GPU panic crashes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]