FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe-Compatible Container for CinemaDNG Files?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Roberts
Adobe-Compatible Container for CinemaDNG Files?
on Oct 4, 2018 at 12:26:25 am

Hi,

We have around 60TB of data on our RAID, which makes for stressful transfer times at the best of times. Unfortunately a large portion of that data is CinemaDNG. These files are a nightmare to copy over the network as they are a perfect storm of terabytes of data in hundreds of thousands of small files. Even between two RAID0 systems on high-end hard drives over 10Gbe using FreeFileSync, we're lucky to transfer at even 1Gbps.

Consequently, I'm trying to determine whether there is an Adobe-compatible container/wrapper that CinemaDNG files can be put into with minimal loss of RAW functionality. This would allow maximum network transfer speeds without putting the files in zip/rar archives that Adobe won't be able to read. Looking around, I found some mention of MXF containers regarding CinemaDNG but I'm not clear as to whether this is a viable pathway.

Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks,
Joe

Return to posts index

Joe Roberts
Re: Adobe-Compatible Container for CinemaDNG Files?
on Oct 8, 2018 at 4:26:05 am

I did some experiments and tried converting some DNG clips into DNxHD MXF through Media Encoder. Unfortunately there was no way to keep it at 12 bits (10 bit maximum), and despite that, if I maintained 4:4:4 colour then the file sizes came out noticeably larger. If I lowered it to 4:2:2, they came out at about half the file size of the DNGs.

At this point it feels like I may as well hold out for Blackmagic RAW. It sounds like it will hopefully be a magic bullet for this kind of problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]