FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH4/5 4K playback delay on 5K iMac

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Rizzuto
GH4/5 4K playback delay on 5K iMac
on Mar 8, 2018 at 2:26:16 am

I run Premiere 12.0.1 on a 27" 5K maxed iMac. Have been cutting a bit more 4K stuff from GH4 & GH5 lately and I’m finding a bit of a lag/delay in playing from timeline and loading current frame at playhead.

I’ve found this has happened in the past if I’m using the drive I’m editing on for transferring data etc. at the same time…so I’m assuming maybe it’s a drive issue? Once play begins, it’s generally smooth both on the app interface preview and also via the Blackmagic intesity preview on the LCD monitor. Delay is still there if not using mercury transmit to Blackmagic. Can be a 2-3 second delay between pressing play/space and the footage actually playing.

Drive issue or something else??

If it is to do with drives...

I currently have one (spinning) media drive in a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure (along with other drives for general files, masters etc.). My question is if I was to try to increase read speed by say striping 2 (preferably) or 3 drives in the enclosure as RAID 0…should this be any quicker than just using a single solid state drive as the media/edit drive? Probably the question is more about 2 RAID 0 spinning drives vs 1 SSD.

I'm sure I have the hardware to play this media without these painful delays!?!

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: GH4/5 4K playback delay on 5K iMac
on Mar 23, 2018 at 1:13:04 pm

Your GH4 and GH5 records in long GOP which is CPU intensive. Transcode all of that material into an edit friendly format (pro-res or DNxHD/HR) and you will eliminate lag.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018
Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0
Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280
Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved