Marco Mircoli
question for Bob
on Jul 23, 2019 at 2:14:08 pm

Hello Bob,
what do you think about these models?
TVS-EC1080-E3-8G
TVS-EC1080-E3-16G
TVS-EC1080+

http://www.qnap.com.cn/tr-tr/how-to/faq/article/what-is-the-difference-betw...'>https://origin-http://www.qnap.com.cn/tr-tr/how-to/faq/article/what-is-the-difference-betw...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: question for Bob
on Jul 23, 2019 at 10:38:48 pm

none of them -
purchase a TVS-872XT.

It's $1800 and is complete with the 10G port, and it's expandable.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Marco Mircoli
on Jul 24, 2019 at 6:23:33 am

Thank you Bob
now we really think we are going to move to centralized storage, we don't know if something new is arriving from qnap (more powerful or complete)
We think to go with:
QNAP TS1685 (for the main unit)
what I don't like of TS1685 is that it hasn't 2 power units. I wonder it in few monts qnap will go with something similar to QNAP TS1685 BUT with redundant power.

...and we would use something like TVS-872XT or TVS-EC1080+ or TS-1635AX as the backup system

what I like from TVS-EC1080+ is that is compact and have 10 storage drives, but I ask you an advice about it.

What is the vanilla number of hard drives best for a backup system (where is not important speed but realibility)
I think the minimum number of drives ammissible for a raid 10 (with 2 spare drives).
What do you think?

I think I could connect the backup system via 1gbe so I would never saturate the main unit bandwidth, and I could mirror the main unit in real time, what do you think about it?

Thanks in advance.
Best!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 24, 2019 at 12:33:25 pm

now we really think we are going to move to centralized storage, we don't know if something new is arriving from qnap (more powerful or complete)

REPLY - Marco - you are really overthinking all of this. I have installed over 400 QNAP systems.
I will respond below -

We think to go with:
QNAP TS1685 (for the main unit)
what I don't like of TS1685 is that it hasn't 2 power units. I wonder it in few monts qnap will go with something similar to QNAP TS1685 BUT with redundant power.

REPLY - The TS-1685 is the most popular unit that I install. It's great, and it's fast. I have NEVER EVER seen a power supply fail on the TS-1685 (or any other professional QNAP unit). Drives fail, they release corrupt firmware sometimes, but I have NEVER EVER seen a dead power supply from them. If you are nervous, then get a
QNAP TS-1677XU-RP or TS-1277XU-RP which has redundant power supplies. Those are great, but they cost a little more because of the rackmount configuration. They do not make a "desktop" model with a redundant power supply. And they are not going to release a desktop model soon with redundant power supplies. If you want that, you buy a rack mounted version.

...and we would use something like TVS-872XT or TVS-EC1080+ or TS-1635AX as the backup system
what I like from TVS-EC1080+ is that is compact and have 10 storage drives, but I ask you an advice about it.

REPLY - I don't know why you keep bringing up the TVS-EC1080U. I don't even see it on the QNAP site any longer, and it doesn't even come with a 10G card. The TS-1685, and TVS-872XT are much better values. The TTS-1635AX is half the price of the TS-1685 and TS-1677x, but is VERY SLOW. Just because it has 10G ports does not mean that it runs at 10G speeds. So you will save $1400 in the price, but you will suffer with the data transfer rate.

What is the vanilla number of hard drives best for a backup system (where is not important speed but realibility)
I think the minimum number of drives ammissible for a raid 10 (with 2 spare drives).
What do you think?

REPLY - you are not going to run RAID 10. I don't give a CRAP what articles you read on line. You will run RAID 6, or if you are feeling "lucky" you will run RAID 5. With RAID 6, you will get amazing performance with all of your client workstations, and they will all be able to edit in 4K. You are not going to get the "least number of drives". You need a MINIMUM of EIGHT spinning SATA drives to make this work. So you should load up the TVS-872XT with ALL the drives, and while you can put only 8 drives in the TS-1685, you should get all 12. You get Seagate Ironwolf drives, that are 7200 RPM, and you will be fine. If you don't like Seagate, you can spend more and get WD RED.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Marco Mircoli
on Jul 24, 2019 at 1:59:59 pm

Thank you Bob,
In the 2nd part of my post I was talking about the online BACKUP unit.
I think the backup unit has to be different for the main unit.

I think the backup unit has to be reliable 1st.
The speed is not necessary, isn't it?
OK raid 6 with 2 redundant drives.

Not considering the speed and performance, but just safety,
Raid 6 composed by 4 drives (12Tb each) + 2 parity drives
is more secure than
Raid 6 composed by 6 drives (8Tb each)+ 2 parity drives
isn't it?

Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks.
S.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 24, 2019 at 4:11:54 pm

RAID 6 allows for TWO drives to fail before you lose all your data. With modern boxes, like the TS-1685, you will get beeps, red lights, a LCD display that shows "drive 5 failed" and it will SPEAK TO YOU telling you a drive has failed from the little internal speaker on the unit. And of course, this shows up on the QNAP QTS user interface, and you can setup email notifications as well.

When you purchase a TS-1635ax (which I have done too many times) you save about $1400 US from the cost of a
TS-1685. If someone steals your TS-1685 (or it is damaged in fire or flood), you can simply start to use the redundant unit (your backup system) right away. The TS-1635ax will be too slow to edit from - and you still have to buy a set of matching drives - so it's up to you.

If it were me, and I had to choose between the TS1635ax (which is $1499) or the TVS-872XT (which is $1799) as the backup unit, there is no question that I would choose the TVS-872XT. This is a much better product.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Marco Mircoli
on Aug 13, 2019 at 10:01:39 am

HTanks for the reply.

Talking about the backup unit, I was wondering if it is possible something like that:

the backup unit is OFF
@ 00.00 a.m. the BU power on
it update the backup and then is switch off itself

OR

the backup unit is always on
it constantly check when the main unit working load is under a threshold, and it start to update the backup, it the working load became over the shreshold, the backup unit pause the backup.

OR

the backup unit is always on
it is connected via 10gbe but configured as 1gbe (to limit the bandwidth)
the unit work 7/24 to replicate the main unit but it stole in the worst case just 100 megabyte per seconds of bandwidth.

I have another question:
is it possible to use the backup unit as plex server? (while it is doing backup)

Thanks in advance.
Best.
S.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 13, 2019 at 12:26:28 pm

Hi Marco -
only rude answers for you -

you keep your backup unit on 24 hours a day, just like your QNAP. You setup Hybrid Backup Sync between the 2 units, and you can set a schedule when you want the backup to start. It can be every hour, every day at a certain time, or just once a week, on whatever day, and whatever time you want. It's all automated.

You cannot change the transmission speed. You either hookup 1G or 10G. You cannot throttle the speed of the connection.

As for your question about Plex server - I will not answer this. I always wondered - are there really people that record all their TV shows on a complex QNAP or Synology, and actually sit there and watch all this crap ? You work in TV - do you really want to watch TV, and countless hours of it ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]