FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking advice on RAID/NAS devices

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Jones
Seeking advice on RAID/NAS devices
on Feb 5, 2014 at 5:23:00 pm

I just started a new position at Central Michigan University's School of Broadcasting. Coming from a news production background, I see room for serious improvements to the workflow our student-run news program is using.

The current workflow: Students are downloading their national content to PCs in the newsroom (because Java on the Mac isn't secure enough for the school's IT guys), copying the files to SD cards, walking them down the hall to the edit bays, dumping the files to the desktop, cutting in Premiere CS6, putting it back on a thumb drive, walking it down the hall to the control room and copying it to the Grass Valley K2 Solo playout device.

The new workflow: Since we won't be able to use Java on the MacPros, we're still going to need to pull video down on the newsroom PCs. My thought is to put in some kind of NAS or RAID device that the Macs will be able to access over a LAN, and also map the K2 Solo drive on the Macs so they can just send their completed clips over the network.

My question: What kind of NAS or RAID device would you recommend for a situation like this. I'll need something fast enough to serve three editors working in HD, but don't want to go overkill - it's just basic news cutting... I'm planning on replacing the three 2009 MacPros with current generation iMacs within the next year, so thunderbolt will also be an available option.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a unique blend of overachiever and procrastinator. I'll do it all - later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]