FORUMS: list search recent posts

Initial Setup Questions for 1282T3 Video Editing and Multimedia Team

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Settlemoir
Initial Setup Questions for 1282T3 Video Editing and Multimedia Team
on May 17, 2019 at 10:22:27 am

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but really excited about my NAS so far and anxious to get everything set up and running.

We have:
Qnap 1282T3 i7 32GB
Eight WD Red Pro 10GB drives

We are a digital marketing and communications team with four members. We will use the NAS for video editing, photo editing, and other multimedia related tasks. The NAS also has to serve as our file backup. I have done lots of reading but have only been able to come up with vague opinions or basic facts for the following questions. What I'm looking for is real-world advice and information in the context of our specific situation. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning more. Happy to provide more info to help clarify anything.

Thanks,
Chris

1) Deciding between static and thick volumes... A thick volume provides a block-based system and snapshots. The static volume offers better performance. For our needs, are the features of the thick volume important? And/or are they important enough to outweigh the performance difference? Or maybe the performance difference is negligible?

2) What RAID should we use? My first thought is RAID 6.

3) If we do use RAID 6, what value do snapshots add?

4) How much space do I need to leave free on the storage pool? And for what?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Initial Setup Questions for 1282T3 Video Editing and Multimedia Team
on May 17, 2019 at 7:40:24 pm

I have answered your questions in the Reddit QNAP forum, but here we go again -

you should create a single static volume. You will use either RAID 5 (for one drive failure before catastrophic data loss) or RAID 6 (for 2 drive failures before catastrophic data loss). I usually prefer and insist on RAID 6. Since you are looking for speed, the static volume will outperform a thick volume storage pool. There is no reason for you to create multiple volumes from a storage pool. You can create shared folders for each of your applications, users or requirements (graphics, audio, media, projects, cache, etc.) and assign permissions for each folder to the individual users.

I never use snapshots. You enable the Recycle Bin, and if someone foolishly or accidentally deletes data from your TVS-1282T3, you simply drag it out of the QNAP recycle bin. You can set the number of days before the QNAP recycle bin will empty itself.

If you have any more questions, you can either ask here, or Reddit, or contact me directly.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]