FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shopping for Shared Storage - LumaForage, ProMAX, etc.?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan DeChaine
Shopping for Shared Storage - LumaForage, ProMAX, etc.?
on Feb 19, 2019 at 2:37:31 pm

Hello,

The company is work for is new to shared storage (as am I) and we will be making a significant investment in a system soon. We produce ~ 8-15 original videos weekly primarily for digital distribution (driving web and social traffic as well as some production). Our 2 primary immediate needs are 1) shared storage and 2) an offsite LTO backup. Although the ProMAX Platform is attractive/likely great and my trusted reseller partner has my best interests in mind, I'm still a little uncertain about needing the overall package and price that goes along with it (integrated shared storage, MAM, LTO w/ single UI). The other system that has attracted my attention is the LumaForge Jellyfish Tower (120TB). The LumaForge is certainly less intimidating from an IT, hardware and ongoing service/support standpoint. My hesitation with ProMAX is that I don't know if I need a MAM -- 98% of our edits consist of new video (not archival). I'm having a hard time envisioning taking the time meta tagging files as our business is very much driven around new, more and faster.

Given my server inexperience, a craw, walk, run pace of shared storage familiarization is more in my comfort zone, e.g., as I ease in and build knowledge, perhaps I will want to add a MAM, but would rather treat that as a decision onto itself after meeting known/immediate needs (shared storage and offset LTO backup).

Thanks a bunch for any time spent sharing your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Tom Grotting
Re: Shopping for Shared Storage - LumaForage, ProMAX, etc.?
on Feb 19, 2019 at 7:33:07 pm

Take a look at Facilis Terrablock. It can house a card that will connect to the tape library. The software could be Archiware P5 backup. There is also an archive module for that which is invaluable. It is all quite straight forward, durable and fast.

We are in the Twin Cities and could quote a system, but would want to talk about your workflow first, and ask a bunch of questions about how you do work.

What editing software do you use?

Tom at digitalpictures.com

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]