FORUMS: list search recent posts

10GbE QNAP switch with Cat6?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Barnum
10GbE QNAP switch with Cat6?
on Dec 11, 2018 at 1:50:19 am

In a presentation on the QNAP site about their QSW-1208-8C 10GbE switch , an asterisked bullet point at 27:15 appears saying Cat6 may be used for runs less than 55 meters. I don't see this listed in the specs page of the switch. We have Belden Cat6 wire in place and the longest run would be no more than 100'. Can anyone (Bob Z?) confirm Cat6 (versus Cat6A) works at full 10G speed with this switch for shorter runs?

Thanks,
-Terry

-Terry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 10GbE QNAP switch with Cat6?
on Dec 11, 2018 at 3:50:44 pm

I am confirming this. Cat 6 (Belden 2412) can be used for up to 55 meters (180'). When you exceed this length, you go to Cat 6A which can be used up to 100 meters. Cat 7 is not in the 10G specifications.

This applies to all networks, not just QNAP products.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
on Dec 11, 2018 at 9:24:09 pm

Thank you Bob! Our wire is Belden-M Mediatwist 1872A, not 2412, but this should still work okay, correct?

I'm looking to migrate from our fibre channel to a QNAP switch and something like the TVS-873e for 2 edit stations, FCPX and Media Composer, ProTools, media processing and general file storage.

Thanks,
-Terry

-Terry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 11, 2018 at 9:51:44 pm

Hi -
Belden 1872A is called Cat6e, which is bonded Cat 6 cable (and it's a nightmare to work with unless you have the tools for bonded cable.).

but if it's in place, then yes, it will work perfectly for up to 55 meters. No one is using Fiber Channel anymore.
The TVS-873e requires a 10G card, like the QNAP QXG-10G1T (89 bucks). If you are not doing this tomorrow - QNAP will very soon release the new TVS-872XT, that will be more powerful, and has the 10G card already built into it (B&H street price should be about $1800 for the empty 8 bay - just add drives).

The QNAP switch is "ok" for an 8 port switch - it's the QSW-1208-8C. As for running AVID, you are not running AVID on any QNAP unless you have Indiestor Mimiq software on each workstation. This applies to many network attached storage systems. All other software is ok.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
on Dec 11, 2018 at 10:26:50 pm

You might be right about the wire, it's been so long since we ran it and crimped ends (2004). We do have the tools. On the jacket it says "Category 6 ( a couple spaces) E1 08998 ..."

Yes, we've been running on fiber for too long. Any scuttlebutt on when the TVS-872XT will be available? Before the end of the year?

I traded email with Alex at Indiestor who said for a single Avid seat, Mimiq was not required if not saving the project files back to the QNAP. Load "alldrives" into the Avid console and enjoy. He then heartily recommended you for all QNAP config. ☺

-Terry

-Terry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 12, 2018 at 4:56:51 pm

Hi Terry -
I don't know where you are located.
QNAP international distribution varies depending on your location.
If you are in London, Span seems to be able to get new QNAP models before anyone here in the US.
So the TVS-872XT is certainly not available yet in the US. Neither are many of the new models that you see
on the QNAP site. But the TVS-872XT is certainly a "best value" if you are looking for an 8 bay. With that said, it will not be as powerful as the current TS-1685 or TS-1677X or of course, the larger enterprise products (TVS-EC1680U or TS-1677XU-RP). I will be installing my first TS-1677XU-RP in London tomorrow (I am in the US).

As for your cabling - your bonded Cat 6 cabling will be fine if it is properly terminated, and your runs are under 55 meters. If you are running Media Composer, the QNAP will work well, and Indiestor Mimiq works great for multiple users. Since you mention Media Composer, and Fiber Channel - if you are using AVID Unity, then you are the last person I am aware of that is still using AVID Unity. I am amazed that it is still running, if in fact you are using one.

I will be more than happy to assist you with the QNAP install, if you wish.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
on Dec 12, 2018 at 8:38:26 pm

Hi Bob,

We're in San Diego, CA. I'd prefer the TVS-872XT but would like to purchase before year-end for tax reasons, so I may go with the TVS-873 instead.

The TS-1685 and TS-1677X look great but are overkill for us.

Nope, no Unity. I've been running FibreJet for years and years with multiple Avid, FCP and PT bays, but time to downsize and upgrade.

Thank you Bob, I'm sure I will be contacting you for help.

-Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]