FORUMS: list search recent posts

dual nas

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Mircoli
dual nas
on Nov 15, 2018 at 12:05:01 am

Hello, I would like to use a nas as centralized storage for 7 workstations (mac pro 2010 the old one with pcie cards) and 2 mac mini (for audio only purpose)
we think to run bm resolve on these workstations, working on the same project together
the ideal world is to run the resolve database on the nas, sharing it with the workstations (and to find a way to auto backup the database every day)
another important thing is to find a way to backup (every xx days) the whole storage into a local low performance nas (as brutal backup)
we would like also to be able to access to the storage from remote (we have fiber connection 1Gbit DL and 300Mbit UL) and to work on audio or to make some changes to the projects from remote, opening davinci projects as being in local (limited to internet speed connection and latency)

what is the price for that?
what is it's limits into a config like that?
what are the components to buy (primary nas, backup nas, routers, cards 10gbe, cables, ecc ecc)
what is the ideal configuration?

Thanks in advance.
Best.
S.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: dual nas
on Nov 15, 2018 at 4:19:31 am

replies below -

Hello, I would like to use a nas as centralized storage for 7 workstations (mac pro 2010 the old one with pcie cards) and 2 mac mini (for audio only purpose)

REPLY - QNAP TS1685, Netgear XS716T switch

we think to run bm resolve on these workstations, working on the same project together

REPLY - install PostgreSQL server on the QNAP (it's free) . This is what Resolve uses.

the ideal world is to run the resolve database on the nas, sharing it with the workstations (and to find a way to auto backup the database every day)

REPLY - then back it up, its a standard feature in resolve (to backup the database).

another important thing is to find a way to backup (every xx days) the whole storage into a local low performance nas (as brutal backup)

REPLY - you can use a second QNAP and use QNAP Hybrid Backup Sync to do this. You can purchase a smaller cheaper QNAP like a TS-1635AX as the backup system. Everything will backup over 10G. Scheduling is available with Hybrid Backup Sync. It's FREE.

we would like also to be able to access to the storage from remote (we have fiber connection 1Gbit DL and 300Mbit UL) and to work on audio or to make some changes to the projects from remote, opening davinci projects as being in local (limited to internet speed connection and latency)

REPLY - QNAP MyQnapCloud allows you to remote access the QNAP from anywhere in the world. You can upload and download files - just like it's a cloud site. How much does this cost - ? FREE. You need to open specific ports on your router.

what is the price for that?

REPLY - The TS-1685 is $2800 US. The TS-1635AX is $1500. You need 12 drive per system. The Netgear XS716T switch is $1300.

what is it's limits into a config like that?

REPLY - no limits. You can edit 8K footage with all your computers.

what are the components to buy (primary nas, backup nas, routers, cards 10gbe, cables, ecc ecc)
what is the ideal configuration?

I just told you.
You can contact me privately, and I will show you links on where to buy all of this. You can get all of it on Amazon if you like.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Marco Mircoli
on Dec 21, 2018 at 9:41:06 am

Hello,
is this:
https://www.span.com/product/Qnap-Desktop-NAS-TS-1685-D1521-16G-16-Bay-12x-...

could be the right configuration?

there are a lot of Qnap TS-1685 sub versions.
I would buy before the end of this year
Thanks in advance.
M.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2018 at 3:21:40 pm

yes -
but you can choose any size drives you want -
the empty QNAP is this -
https://www.span.com/product/Qnap-Desktop-NAS-TS-1685-D1521-16G-16-Bay-12x-.... (it's defaulting to Spanish Language - I don't know why) -
but it's $2300 quid. You can add any size drives you want, but you need all 12 drives. Don't worry about the SSD's.

Span will not know how to configure this for video editing, so you need someone to assist you with the setup. Not unless you are up for the challenge.

Don't forget the 10G switch and the 10G adaptors for your computers.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Marco Mircoli
on Dec 21, 2018 at 5:24:00 pm

Thanks bob, unfortunately for this model, span ask to buy 10 units!
Is this model good as weell?
https://www.span.com/product/Qnap-Desktop-NAS-TS-1685-D1521-16G-550W-16-Bay...

Thanks in advance.
SURE, I will ask you support (in private)
Best!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2018 at 5:43:11 pm

yes, that model is fine.
You are paying more for the 550 Watt power supply. The larger power supply is used in case you put an Nvidia GPU card into the QNAP, so it can power it. But you will never do this, as you have to create a VM (virtual machine) in the QNAP, load Windows 10 into the virtual machine, and that's how the GPU function works in the QNAP. It's not "plug and play" like it is on a Win 10PC, or like an AMD card on a Mac with a Sonnet or Blackmagic Box.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Marco Mircoli
on Dec 21, 2018 at 5:58:17 pm

Hello Bob,
This is my current cart:
NetGear 10GbE Smart Switch XS716T-100NES 16-Port RJ45, 2x Shared SFP+ ESNG-XS716T
NetGear 10GbE Smart Switch XS716T-100NES 16-Port RJ45, 2x Shared SFP+

2 giorni£967.10£967.10
Qnap Desktop NAS TS-1685-D1521-16G-550W 16-Bay (12x 3.5", 4x 2.5", 6x M.2), RAID 0/1/5/6 (Xeon D-1521, 16GB RAM, 550W) IBQ-1685-21x16P

15 giorni£2,427.00£2,427.00
Qnap Desktop NAS 10GbE TS-1635AX-8G 16-Bay (12x 3.5", 4x 2.5"), RAID 0/1/5/6 (8GB RAM) + 10GbE SFP+ IBQ-1635AX-8G

What about DRIVES?
there are a lot of models and brands
I think 6TB/each cound be enough, or is it better 8TB each?
can you advise me 1 6TB and 1 8TB model?
currently we have 6tb storage for each mac (6TBx9=54TB)
Thanks.
S.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2018 at 7:29:54 pm

you can get Seagate Ironwolf drives (any size you like) or WD RED Pro drives.

You cannot use Seagate Constellation drives, or Seagate Barracuda drives. They are unreliable.
You can spend the money for Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives, but they are more money. I never use those.

You CANNOT use WD RED drives - they are 5400 RPM, and are too slow for this application.
You MUST purchase WD RED Pro drives if you choose WD as a brand.

I advise against Toshiba drives, as they are ok, but are not as reliable as the Seagate Ironwolf or WD RED Pro.

Your Netgear XS716T switch is fine.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Marco Mircoli
on Nov 15, 2018 at 8:40:31 am

Hello Bob, thanks for the reply.
sure, when we will do it I will contact you to ask your precious support (not for free, abviously)

for now, just few questions more:

a) what about mac pro 2010 pcie cards? are they a delicate piece in the chain or it is just needed to have a cheap one 10gbe? and for the mac mini? assuming they would be used just for audio recording and edit, is it enough the standard rj45port 1gbe? (assuming to use internet via wifi only and dedicate the rj45 just to the storage) - say that because thunderbolt port is used for 2nd display ☹

b) in this config is it possible to work from remote (internet outside the lan) without downloading anything? (talking about audio projects or video projects using low bitrate proxies)

c) supposing to use a backup nas, it would be possible to use the second NAS as:
- backup purpose AND load bandwidth balancing? (I assume to use 2 identic nas and using together)
- backup hardware (if 1st nas has hardware failure) (I assume to use 2 identic nas and using together)

Thanks in advance.
Best!
S.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 15, 2018 at 2:02:31 pm

replies below -

a) what about mac pro 2010 pcie cards? are they a delicate piece in the chain or it is just needed to have a cheap one 10gbe?

REPLY - The Sonnet Presto 10GbaseT card is $260 and works great inside the 2010 Mac Pro. You cannot use
the Sonnet Presto Solo 10G or QNAP QXG-10G1T unless you have macOS 10.13.3 or later running on your
2010 Mac Pro.

and for the mac mini? assuming they would be used just for audio recording and edit, is it enough the standard rj45port 1gbe? (assuming to use internet via wifi only and dedicate the rj45 just to the storage) - say that because thunderbolt port is used for 2nd display ☹

REPLY - you need a dedicated network port for shared storage. WiFi is too slow. If you just want 1G speeds, you get a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor ($29) or a USB to Ethernet adaptor ($29) and use that for internet access (or use WiFi). You use the native ethernet port for connection to the dedicated switch for the shared storage.
You will get 100 MB/sec, which is enough for audio, graphics, and 1080i HD video, but not 4K. If you want a 10G connection, for an old Mac Mini, you get a Sonnet Twin 10G - $499. If you have a NEW Mac Mini with Thunderbolt 3, you get a Sonnet Solo 10G for $175

b) in this config is it possible to work from remote (internet outside the lan) without downloading anything? (talking about audio projects or video projects using low bitrate proxies)

REPLY - you can't edit over the internet. George Lucas and Steven Speilberg cannot edit over the internet.
I can setup the QNAP with a VPN so you can mount your drive directly on your MacBook Pro remotely, but you are at the mercy of your internet speed connection - both where you are, and where your QNAP is located.

c) supposing to use a backup nas, it would be possible to use the second NAS as:
- backup purpose AND load bandwidth balancing? (I assume to use 2 identic nas and using together)
- backup hardware (if 1st nas has hardware failure) (I assume to use 2 identic nas and using together)

REPLY - a single QNAP or Synology with 8 drives is fast enough to do anything that you want, including 8K editing.
You do not need load balancing. For backup, you buy a second system. This second system can be in a remote location (like your home) - but again - you are at the mercy of your internet connection speed.

All the backup software comes for free with the QNAP. All the remote software, and VPN software comes for free with the QNAP.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]