FORUMS: list search recent posts

Network shares has a -1 next to it. Not sure why?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Smith
Network shares has a -1 next to it. Not sure why?
on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:40:53 am

Hi There,
I have a basic NAS setup with clients connecting to a Mac Pro sharing storage via AFP.
For some reason when connecting to the network share the folder is appearing with a "-1" next to it. Which is making Premiere want to reconnect all the files. I had a google to try and find an explanation, but having trouble... maybe I am not searching correctly??

Just wondering if someone could provide an explanation for this behaviour and ideally a way to fix it??

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: Network shares has a -1 next to it. Not sure why?
on Jan 6, 2014 at 5:44:35 pm

Does this happen with all clients, or just one?

I believe it's because the client sees 2 instances of the share, but the first instance is hidden, and the OS is adding a "-1" to the second share. I've had this on older installations of Xsan.

Have you tried powering everything down and turning it all back on? Sometimes this is enough. If that doesn't work, you might need to reset the permissions and recreate the shared folder on the server. Then have all the clients reconnect.

You could also rename the share. Yes, you will have to reconnect everything in Premiere (and anything else you use), but then you won't get a "-1"

Hope that helps.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:09:18 am
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:17:07 am

+1 Eric said, but here is the fix (as far as I understand the issue)

So what you're saying is the share name has a "-1" added to it.

If so:

a) disconnect your client from the network
b) look in /Volumes (use finder > go > go to folder). I bet you'll see a 'stale' folder, which basically represents the original mount point that was not cleanly ejected.
c) delete the folder and reconnect. The share should mount with the original name (not -1 or -2 etc)

I've seen this a few times with Mac clients attached to various indiestor servers. It really screws up Avid as well. Its just another stupid Apple problem to add to the list ;)

Alex G

--
+447961751453
indiestor.com
github.com/indiestor

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:01:40 pm

Thanks Eric and Alex,
Not doing it at the moment, so hard to test.

But I am sure I will see it again!

Thanks for all your help!

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]