FORUMS: list search recent posts

which qnap unit can support 5+ users editing 4k

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dusty mcCord
which qnap unit can support 5+ users editing 4k
on Sep 30, 2018 at 6:11:25 am

Hello friends,
I have been a fan of qnap for years and have helped several small media companies setup qnap units in the past.
Currently I am working at a place where we some times surge up to 5 or 6 editors at one time working with 4k footage.

The IT staff is not keen to helping build out or do any homework. So I need to have a fully baked plan and be ready to fight for it. I personally trust the qnap brand but they now have a crazy amount of products and I am not sure what one would meet the needs the best.

I have a small 10gbe network of Macs with sonnet adaptors right now. We mainly edit on premiere and do a fair amount of resolve.

Should I push for the ts-ec1680u or the tvs-1582tu or something else.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: which qnap unit can support 5+ users editing 4k
on Sep 30, 2018 at 10:59:46 pm

Hi Dusty -
I see you are in Oregon -
I have just finished Fullelbox in Oregon City with their new QNAP, just on Friday. They have a QNAP TS-1685
I did Delve Media in Bend Oregon with a TVS-1282T
I did Treehouse in Portland with a TS-1685
I did Pinata Post in Portalnd with a TVS-EC1080U (against my advice).

The best values currently are the TS-1685 and the TS-1677x.
While the TVS-EC1680U is a great product, and I install it all the time, QNAP is about to release the new
TS-1677XU-RP rack mount, which is the 16 back rack mount version for about $3000 less than the TVS-EC1680U.

All of these models will easily handle 5 - 6 editors (and more) all doing 4K editing at the same time.
The 10G ports are built in. All you need is a small 10G switch, and the Sonnet or Promise 10G adaptors
for your computers.

Any of these boxes will give you over 800 MB/sec per client - more than enough to do 4K editing.

Please feel free to contact me, or ask more questions here. I do this every day, and have installed a ton of QNAP and Synology systems.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

dusty mcCord
on Oct 1, 2018 at 12:24:06 am

when you install these do you fill out the SSD cache and M.2 slots?
Is that a help with video editing?

Return to posts index

dusty mcCord
on Oct 1, 2018 at 12:43:28 am

Also, with the ts-1685 do you suggest the ecc ram version or the larger power supply version?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 1, 2018 at 3:02:08 pm

Hi -
I emailed you all of this info.
I have found just from experience that small SSD caching does nothing for these products. Of course, if you can afford to fill the entire chassis with all SSD's - that's amazing (that what OpenDrives does !) - but for most people, it's too expensive to do this.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]