Spotlight on QNAP 4.3.5

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Spotlight on QNAP 4.3.5
on Sep 17, 2018 at 7:04:11 am
Last Edited By Nikos Papadopoulos on Sep 17, 2018 at 7:06:55 am

Hello everyone from sunny Athens,

Apparently QNAP added spotlight support for QTS 4.3.5 (Beta - B20180914). Having some time to setup the office we decided to give it a go. It seems not to be working though. I assume it should work as any other AFP/SMB search, where you'd have to search in a finder window and select the 'search in shared' option. Anyone got it working or any ideas?

P.S. Qsirch is installed and indexed!

Always with regards,
Nikos

_
Passion and knowledge put to work
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Spotlight on QNAP 4.3.5
on Sep 17, 2018 at 5:35:19 pm

Hi -
just tried it. QTS 4.3.5, installed QSirch
Mounted the QNAP volume on the Mac desktop with SMB.

If you to to the normal Apple Spotlight in the upper right corner of the screen, you are correct - it does not find files, the way you would see a locally mounted drive. If you click on the Mac HD, and in the spotlight Search window (upper right) enter the file name that you know lives on the QNAP, the Mac OS displays
Search: This Mac, and Shared
If you highlight "Shared" it finds the file on the QNAP that you are looking for.

Of course, for people that have NO IDEA of where their files are, (it could be anywhere, on one of 10 drives mounted) - then you are correct, this is not working correctly. But if it's just a file you are trying to find on the QNAP, and you point to the QNAP (by highlighting "Shared" in the search window) - then it does find the file.

I know that most people want to say "I have no idea of where the file it - that's the point of Spotlight - I just type in what I am looking for, and Spotlight searches everything to find my file - whether it's on a local USB drive, or my network drive" - well then, you are correct - it appears to not work this way.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Sep 17, 2018 at 10:28:56 pm

Hello Bob,

We are both looking at the right section of finder (Shared) where it should work, but I get lots of disk activity and no results. Where as if I use Qsirch with the same search terms, they are instantly found. Am I missing something in the process?

Always with regards,
Nikos

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Sep 17, 2018 at 10:44:43 pm

Right, so who ever runs into this - I decided to uninstall QSirch and re-install it - knowing it would re-index the drive, and even from the preliminary indexing it has already done, results are being found now instantly, both in the 'Shared' option in finder and while the mounted drive name is selected instead of 'Shared' in finder. Cheers!

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 17, 2018 at 8:34:43 pm

After upgrading to Mojave, spotlight search never worked. Downgraded machine back to High Sierra (reformat) since SMB performance in Mojave was a disaster. Spotlight search doesn't work. On the latest QTS 4.3.5.0728 B20181013 (official release, not beta)

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 18, 2018 at 5:32:17 pm

Hi Nick -
I have not seen poor SMB performance with macOS 10.14 Mojave.
I will be more than happy to log into your system tomorrow, and take a look, if
you would like to email me your Teamviewer info.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 19, 2018 at 10:34:50 am

Bob thank you for offering,

I have since downgraded to High Sierra with double the (read) speed performance. Even sonnet, qnap and lumaforge are aware of this issue. Sonnet has even setup a system to replicate this.

Perhaps like last year's update, if I had done a fresh format, the 500mb/s read limitation would have been lifted, but there was nothing I could do to get speeds back up to par.

Plus try renaming a set of 1000 files. Instant in High Sierra, takes 5 minutes to refresh in Mojave and does so in batches of 10 files at a time.

Plus other performance issues such as FCPX lagging after 10 minutes of use, so i downgraded and now everything is back to normal.

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 19, 2018 at 12:54:18 pm

Hi Nick -
I am building a new QNAP TS-1685 today, that I will put QTS 4.3.5 onto (latest firmware build).
I am going to test this with a Mac (using Sonnet Presto Solo 10G card) - the Mac will be running macOS 10.14 Mojave.
I will use both AJA System Test and Blackmagic Speed test once it's ready. I will report back my results.

As for Spotlight and Qsirch - when you first reported it, I installed Qsirch on a system (QTS 4.3.5 beta), and with a
macOS 10.13.6 Mac, I did a search - NOT with the magnifying glass, but you open the mounted QNAP drive, and in search, type something in - and it found it. So I did not do extensive testing, but that seems to work. I would love to hear more details about what you are trying to do, that it will not search for.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 19, 2018 at 3:29:51 pm

Bob hello,

A couple of things you could check for if you have the time, is to simply upgrade High Sierra to Mojave instead of fresh installing Mojave. I suspect that's where the bug of this issue lies. Somehow upgrading to the next system hinders SMB read speeds. (perhaps I'm also saying nonsense!). Then if you notice the issue, try a fresh install and see if it is fixed.

Regarding Qsirch, I am doing more testing. It seems to find exact files names, including the extension, but it seems not to search for folder names, or simply part of the file name. Much unlike spotlight, which indexes the ins and outs of files. In Mojave, even that exact filename search with the extension was not working though. I will do even more testing and report back here as well. Looking forward to your results.

Always with regards!
Nikos

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 19, 2018 at 9:09:45 pm

macOS 10.14 Mojave, Sonnet Presto Solo 10G, QNAP TS-1685 with QTS 4.3.5.0728

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 20, 2018 at 11:35:37 am

That's good news. Was this a fresh install? Here is my screen shot from mojave. In High Sierra (since I'm not at the office now is 900R/600W. Same hardware, different OS.

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 20, 2018 at 4:44:35 pm

long story, but here it goes.
Years ago, I purchased a copy of OS X 10.6 from Apple on DVD.
I built a boot drive. I used this to clone other boot drive. I eventually updated my 10.6 boot drive to 10.6.8
10.7 came out. I took another empty drive, cloned it from the 10.6.8 drive, and now it was 10.7
I then cloned the 10.7 drive, and used that, but the 10.7 "clean drive" stayed in my closed, along with the 10.6.8 drive, which was used for cloning only.

I have been following this process since then. When 10.13 came out, I made by clone of 10.12.6, and updated that drive to 10.13. That became my "master. I cloned that and used that clone of 10.13 (which eventually became
10.13.6). When 10.14 came out recently, I took out the 10.13 master, cloned it to another drive, updated it to 10.13.6, and then updated it to 10.14. Once I had the master 10.14 SATA drive, I cloned that to a 120 Gig SSD, which is now my "daily use" drive in my 2009 Mac Pro (which has been flashed to a 5,1 with updated boot firmware).
The tests I just showed with Mojave, the Sonnet 10G PCIe card, and the QNAP TS-1685 were done from that SSD.

So it is a "fresh install" - well, its a clone from a clone dating back to a OS X 10.6 DVD, but yes, I guess it's a fresh installation.
I just did a service call this past Thursday for a client that has a brand new iMac Pro, and was getting terrible performance with their Adobe software. I went over, and saw that their IT deparment simply migrated EVERYTHING from his 6,1 Mac Pro, without reinstalling anything or cleaning out anything. A new 1TB internal boot SSD was already almost 95% full after having the machine for 2 days. I saw every version of Acobe on it from 2014, 2015, 2016, etc. all the way to the lastest Adobe CC download. Tons of programs that were not being used, and my client has no idea of what most of the stuff in the Applications folder even was.

I don't know why people do this. Because they can't be bothered reinstalling their software, year after year, after year - and going from computer to computer to computer. So when I saw the poor performance of this expensive new machine - well I understood instantly what was going on. Sometimes, if you don't empty the garbage in your kitchen, your kitchen will start to stink !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 20, 2018 at 5:05:30 pm

That is a great way/idea to migrate. For me, I don't know if you recall, but I had a similar problem going from 10.12 to 10.13 and the only method that fixed it was fresh installing 10.13. So it was that fresh 10.13 install that I simply upgraded via App Store to 10.14, not years of garbage piled up. My SSD is always 60% empty in any case since I don't want to kill it before it's time. For now I have downgraded via fresh install and everything is running smoothly. I have this suspicion that upgrading via app store there is a bug that somehow limits SMB read performance. Have you had a chance to test the renaming of 1000+ files both in High Sierra and Mojave via SMB? Hint: Not a fun process in Mojave.

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

Melany Villeneuve
on Oct 25, 2018 at 3:41:04 pm

Hey Nick,

Same thing happen to us. Mojave seems to have poor SMB performance (or unstable I must say). We downgrade to High Sierra as well and everything was back to normal.

Can you confirm that a «Fresh install» of Mojave resolves the issue?

Thanks alot for this valuable info.

Best
Mel

Return to posts index

Melany Villeneuve
on Oct 25, 2018 at 8:03:22 pm

We just saw that Promise Sanlink2 rolled out a Mojave compatible update 2 days ago. We are using this component as well as TB adapters. Maybe it could be the Sanlink2 drivers and now it is resolved with this update.

Couldn't be sure so we'll wait before going back to Mojave

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Oct 26, 2018 at 12:30:23 pm

Hello,

Unfortunatelly for progress, but fortunately for my sanity, I will avoid upgrading to Mojave for a while, so I don't have any feedback regarding performance under a fresh install.

Perhaps you'll pioneer in that forefront?

Always with regards,
Nikos

_
kronik.studio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]