FORUMS: list search recent posts

on-line forums for media managers?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
on-line forums for media managers?
on Aug 28, 2018 at 4:00:21 pm

Does anyone know of forums frequented by video media managers that are more about organization and procedures than technical (hardware & software) matters?

I’m a long time editor with a newly minted library-archive degree setting up a QNAP archive to service a production environment. We are Mac based and are not (yet) using an asset management system. Thanks advance for any help.

Paul

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: on-line forums for media managers?
on Aug 28, 2018 at 9:07:44 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/catdv

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chuck Johnson
on Sep 7, 2018 at 3:21:27 am

Hi Paul,

Give me a call next week. I can help guide you with this.

Chuck Johnson
817-429-0818

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 7, 2018 at 12:05:01 pm

Hi Chuck -
what system do you recommend -
Cat DV ?
Axle ?
something else ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chuck Johnson
on Sep 10, 2018 at 8:52:21 pm

Hey Bob,

I usually check on exiting infrastructure and workflow, see what the customers goals are and how much existing content they have now and how much they add each month.

I also like to know what camera/recorder formats they are using and third party formats they might use in their productions.

Given all of that information, I make a suggestion, create a plan and discuss with the troops. They have to have buy-in too because it's an effort to use media asset management systems to obtain maximum benefit from them.

Most of my clients are using CatDV but others are using Avid Interplay and ProMax. One client is talking about using Axle.

Hope this helps!

Chuck
817-429-0818

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 12, 2018 at 2:30:17 pm

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your offer, I will definitely give you a call. I wanted to collect my thoughts first. This outline will help, and provide for others some context for my original question. To recap - I’m working for a nonprofit that has 10 years worth of born-digital video projects, some final-cut but mostly premiere. So here is an outline of the current mission and some future possibilities…

1) secure the archive of past video projects and make the assets discoverable.

2) preserve these past projects such that they open and link correctly to media.

3) give editors access to this archive that resides on the QNAP so that…

3a) they can edit directly from it, or copy footage (if that’s required).

3b) access the Qnap to submit new projects to the archive.

4) gradually open the archive to others in the organization, ie. non-editors.

5) depending on demand and institutional support, make the assets (footage) more user-friendly by converting camera directories contents to a more standard format like ProRes.

6) (And this is where it gets both complicated and uncertain) Since editor’s project folders are probably not the best vessel or structure for general access and distribution of footage… this is where a DAM might come in one day.

By way of a footnote I should add that the interim arrangement that makes the wider access mission less urgent, is that some demand for footage is partially met by posting b-roll packages on the WebDam system designed for the photo archive. This is administered by a different department and I’m told that sometime next year they will be moving from WebCam to a Libris system

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]