FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem Deleting Temporary Files in macOS over SMB

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Pearson
Problem Deleting Temporary Files in macOS over SMB
on Jul 30, 2018 at 8:44:26 pm

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem...

I have two Macs connected via 10GbE, both running High Sierra 10.13.6. One MacBook Pro "server" is hosting a Thunderbolt 3 RAID and sharing out via SMB to an iMac. This all works fine, but there's a small software issue.

When I export certain types of files from FCPX or Compressor, the application will create a temporary file while it's encoding and then create a separate finished movie file. Normally the temp file would be automatically deleted, but on the NAS volume it doesn't work so I have to manually delete (or leave it).

Any Mac networking folks have any ideas on this? Obviously it's not a huge issue, but if there's a solution I'd love to hear it.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Problem Deleting Temporary Files in macOS over SMB
on Jul 30, 2018 at 11:25:05 pm

Hi Roy -
welcome to my nightmare. I have been doing OS X and macOS servers since 2008, and ever since the release of
macOS 10.13 and macOS 10.13 Server, NOTHING works anymore. You create a simple file and you will get a "dummy folder" or a gibberish temporary file, just as you have shown. Now, imagine a real world server with 10 - 15 clients, with hundreds of thousands, or millions of files - all with a duplicate "nonsense" file with
.sb-5a0b20c2-82JkkG after everything (and other random crap). This NEVER used to exist - from 10.5.8 to
10.12.6 (and server). But with the wonderful advent of macOS 10.13 and 10.13 Server, this is exactly what happens.

This is why file sharing with macOS High Sierra is totally useless, and I can no longer update anyone's Mac server. It's over. I gave up. I switched to QNAP and Synology - that exhibits no problems.

There is no solution. If you don't like it, call Apple. If you can even get a contact name for me to speak with, I will be happy to do all the talking - you don't have to say one word.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Roy Pearson
Re: Problem Deleting Temporary Files in macOS over SMB
on Jul 31, 2018 at 12:53:30 am

Haha thanks Bob, I was afraid that might be the answer.

I haven't totally given up hope though, as Apple did fix some of the SMB bugs they created with earlier versions of 10.13 (copy/move operations crashing Finder was pretty bad). Network performance generally feels smoother on 10.13.6 too, although maybe that's just because it was so bad before.

Anyway yes I'll report to Apple and we'll see what happens with Mojave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]