FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any thoughts on the Synology DS1817 8-bay NAS?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Sal
Any thoughts on the Synology DS1817 8-bay NAS?
on Jul 18, 2018 at 4:55:03 am

Hi All,

Im looking for a small NAS to serve two editors.

As the Synology DS1817 has two 10GBe ports, I was hoping to have both editors connected to the NAS directly as we are starting small. Anyone have experience with this NAS?

It seems most of this board is full of people QNAP NAS' , are these better for video editing than synology for any reason? Would the QNAP TS-831X-8G be any better an option?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Any thoughts on the Synology DS1817 8-bay NAS?
on Jul 18, 2018 at 3:37:35 pm

Hi Anthony -
it appears that you are making a selection strictly based on "what is the cheapest thing I can possibly purchase" - not what will work.

Synology makes excellent products. It's just that Synology does not participate in the professional video market, so people don't think about Synology when they think about video editing.

The Synology DS1817 is an older unit that uses the Amazon Annapurna CPU processors. It is a SLOW DOG. If you want this model, you purchase the NEW Synology DS1817+ which uses the Intel ATOM processors. The DS1817+ requires that you purchase an optional Intel X550-T2 10G card, as the new + model does not come for free with the 10G card.
If you say "well, If I get the DS1817, it comes with the 10G ports, and it's cheaper than the DS1817+" - what do you want me to say Anthony ? You are making a mistake. You are buying the wrong unit, and it will not perform the way you want it to.

The same applies for the QNAP that you have mentioned. The TS-831X is now discontinued, but it too uses the horrible Amazon Annapurna CPU processors. And it's SLOW ! How do I know this - because I personally own it. I bought the TS-831X because it was cheap, and I needed a training model for myself, to learn all the advanced features of the QNAP. And it's the worst 8 bay that QNAP ever made. And the new TS-832X doesn't look much better. If you want a QNAP that will compete with the Synology DS1817+ (with the 10G card), then you purchase a QNAP TVS-873e, and yes, you need to purchase a 10G option card for this model too - either the single port
QXG-10G1T or the dual 10G port QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550.

Don't make your decision based on price. It wont work. And the drives will cost you more than the Synology or the QNAP anyway. You MUST purchase EIGHT drives and put them in a single RAID group. And even if you have no switch, you need two thunderbolt to 10G adaptors for your computers to get 10G speeds. You have not stated if you have Macs or Win 10 PC's, and you have not stated what editing software that you use.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 18, 2018 at 8:52:19 pm

I just finished a Synology DS1817+ in London 5 minutes ago. It's a fantastic unit. Does everything the QNAP
TVS-873e can do. Just make sure to order the Intel X550-T2 card for it.

Getting the right CPU makes a world of difference.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Sal
on Jul 20, 2018 at 10:20:12 am

Thanks Bob,

Didn't realise the processor in the 1817 was so horrendous. I'll definately look at the DS1817+ as a bare minimum.

I'll be hooking up two PC's by installing an Asus C100C 10Gbe card in each as I've heard good things about them..... Any yes, they're cheap but that's not the ultimate goal. No point in cheap if it doesn't do the job properly.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 20, 2018 at 12:04:33 pm

I love the ASUS 10G NIC. Anything that uses the Aquantia ACQ-107 10G chip is great. This includes the ASUS, the QNAP card, the Sonnet card and Aquantia themselves I believe is now selling a 10G NIC card as well. (and of course, the iMac Pro, that uses the same 10G chip).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]