Sanlink3 N1 Vs. Sonnet Solo 10G

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eyal Grobak
Sanlink3 N1 Vs. Sonnet Solo 10G
on Jul 16, 2018 at 12:41:28 am

Hi !

New here in this wonderful forum !

I have a question, probably for Bob Zelin, as I saw you have a lot of experience with the 10G Thunderbolt 3 adapters...

I recently purchased the N1 adapter, to connect my QNAP 1282 directly to my Macbook Pro 15 2017...
I currently have no other computers that are using 10G, and as I am on a tight budget, I prefer not to purchase a 10G
switch yet...

I connected the N1 directly to the QNAP, and setup both the NAS and the mac on the same subnet and with subsequent IP addresses...
It seems to work ok (I am connecting via AFP) but speeds are disappointing...

I saw that you posted that the Sanlink3 N1 gives low write speeds, and that matches my current results (around 350 write, and about 650 read)

I basically have 2 questions...

1. Do you have any recommendations regarding the direct connection between the Mac and the NAS (different protocols or settings ?)

2. Should I try to return the Sanlink3 N1 and get the Sonnet Solo 10G instead ?

Thanks for any help and information you can share in this matter !

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sanlink3 N1 Vs. Sonnet Solo 10G
on Jul 16, 2018 at 12:27:01 pm

The Promise SanLink3 was the first thunderbolt 3 to 10G Ethernet adaptor that came out (NAB 2017). I tested it on the floor when it came out - it was doing as you observe - excellent READ speeds, but write speeds that stop at 350 MB/sec ? Why ? I have no idea why. The Sonnet Solo 10G for thunderbolt 3 has both excellent READ AND WRITE speeds. I know that the Sonnet is using the Aquantia ACQ107 chip (same 10G chip as in the iMac Pro). What is Promise using ? I have no idea.

Please bear in mind that QNAP makes some pretty crappy 10G boards as well. You have not stated exactly what QNAP you are using. If your QNAP has the QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 with the Intel X550 chip in it, you will get great performance with the Sonnet. Same with the QNAP QXG-10G1T which is their new 10G card for their smaller models. However, if you use the QNAP LAN-10G1TA, that uses the horrible Tehuti 10G chip, and you will get slow speeds, EVEN if you have the Sonnet Solo 10G.

Everything is a variable.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eyal Grobak
on Jul 16, 2018 at 1:40:48 pm

Thanks Bob for your detailed answer !

I am using the basic 1282 model, which I upgraded to a 7700k i7 with 64GB of Ram...
I installed this card - QM2-2P10G1T which is a combined card of 2 SSD slots and a single 10GB
I tried looking for information regarding the chip this card uses, but can not find such info...
maybe you know more about this card and can share with us...

I think I will try my luck replacing the Sanlink3 with the sonnet, as it sound a better solution anyway !
(If needed, at the most I will replace the card in the Qnap)

Thanks again !

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 16, 2018 at 7:44:00 pm

I don't know the answer.
Remove the heat sink from the card, and see if you can see the brand of chip printed on the 10G chip.
I just looked at -
http://shop.qnap.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=215
and it does not specify the chip that is being used.

With that said -
I just looked at the compatibility chart for the 1282, and I see that the QXG-10G1T is compatible with it.
It's $89 on Amazon - why don't you order one, and see if your speeds increase.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eyal Grobak
on Jul 16, 2018 at 8:18:03 pm

Thanks for your reply Bob !

I went ahead and opened the NAS... Sadly it looks like my card is using the Tehuti Chip (upper right in the photo I attached)
Good thing that is still have a free PCI slot, I can use for the QXG-10G1T...

Amazon already approved the return of my Sanlink3, so with the price I paid for it when it came out, I can almost cover the Sonnet plus the Qnap card, together, I am sure they will give me excellent results, as you said...

If you have any insights regarding the direct connection I am using (Short CAT 6 cable) like different protocl or settings
I will really appreciate it !

Thanks again for all your help !

Return to posts index

Eyal Grobak
on Jul 30, 2018 at 7:50:56 am

Hi Again !

Hope that someone can point me in the right direction here...

I got the new QNAP 10GB card, and the sonnet solo 10GB TB3, installed them
and connecting my MBP Pro directly to the QNAP with a cat 6A cable...

Speeds are still dissapointing... about 380 Write and 590 read...
I am using AFP protocol... I changed MTU to 9000, but no real improvement...

My QNAP Storage is 8 8TB disks set to raid 6 plus auto tier of 2 1TB SSD's set up in raid 1...
All was automatically set up by the qnap wizard...

I am using 3rd party RAM (Kingston HyperX), and saw that some forums state that using unofficial RAM can cause a slowdown in preformance...

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 30, 2018 at 1:35:06 pm

Hello Eyal -
I do not understand why you did not hire someone to assist you with this setup.

Your system should have eight identical 7200 RPM drives, all created in a RAID 5 or RAID 6 static volume (not thick or thin). Turn off Auto Tier until this gets resolved. Why did you not order the QNAP RAM ? This makes no sense. YES - the incorrect RAM can cause dramatic issues with speeds. So can the drives. Exactly what drives are you using - I hope they are WD RED, WD Gold, HGST NAS or Seagate Ironwolf, and not some off brand or "green" drives.
You must have SMB signing turned off on your Mac computers. The Solo 10G should give you about 900 MB/sec
Read and Write performance. Please re state exactly what QNAP box you have. If you purchased the TS-831X or TS-832X, you will never get good speeds.

And if you have the Promise SanLink3, you will never get Write speeds faster than what you are seeing right now.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eyal Grobak
on Jul 30, 2018 at 2:46:49 pm

Thanks Bob for your detailed response...

I have the QNAP TVS-1282, the normal one, without thunderbolt... I installed the new Aquantica QNAP 10GB card, and using the Sonnet Solo 10G on the mac side...
My drivers are all identical 8TB IronWolf Pro !
I will try to set up my volume as Static, and without the Auto Tier feature... to see if it helps...
I can also try and replace the RAM with the original 8 GB that came with the NAS...

I will keep you updated... Thanks again !

Eyal.

Return to posts index

Eyal Grobak
on Jul 31, 2018 at 9:09:46 pm

Hi All !

Just to give you an update...
I created a static volume, Raid 6 from all 8 Disks, without any Cache...
That improved the speeds a little bit, but not anything major.
Apparently AFP is severly crippled on Mac OS High Sierra...
After disabling the packet signing, and connecting to the volume via SMB, things look completely different !!!
Now I am getting an average of above 900MB for both read and write, with lows down to around 800MB
See the Screen Capture for results...

One more question, do you think it is worth trying to swap the RAM back to the original QNAP 8GB ?
Will it give me any boost ?

Thanks again for all the help !!!

Eyal.

P.S. Just to make sure the new 10GB card really made a difference, I tested the QM card I previously installed through SMB...
It still gives disappointing results (around 350 Write and 680 read)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 31, 2018 at 9:22:00 pm

the QM card uses the Tehuti 10G chip - that is a HUGE piece of garbage.
You now have excellent results. You will not get faster speeds that what you are seeing now.

disabling SMB signing is critical, as you now see.
Glad it's working. You should be very happy with 1000 MB/sec. Glad your QNAP is working.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]