FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone having issues with FCPX and QNAP Firmware 4.3.4.0597

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wright
Anyone having issues with FCPX and QNAP Firmware 4.3.4.0597
on Jun 27, 2018 at 11:50:11 am
Last Edited By Matt Wright on Jun 27, 2018 at 1:00:38 pm

Hi All. I am just trying to work out whether my issue is a general bug/issue for all QNAP users or is isolated to our set-up.

Having recently upgraded our QNAP TVS-1282TS to firmware version 4.3.4.0597, we are getting consistent errors in FCPX losing all the links to all of the source assets. It's an easy fix, just to relink everything in FCPX, But this is causing us issues in rendering, as FCPX loses links to its assets even during rendering.

We are running FCPX 10.4.3 and this happens on all 3 of our systems connected by 10GB ethernet to our QNAP NAS.

(I have rolled back the Firmware for the time being, but curious to hear of other users experiences)

Many Thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Anyone having issues with FCPX and QNAP Firmware 4.3.4.0597
on Jun 27, 2018 at 1:52:57 pm

2 suggestions -

1) are you connecting with a switch to the SAME IP address on the QNAP, or are you connecting from each Mac to a direct port, and using a separate IP address to connect to the QNAP on a different subnet for each computer.

For example - does EVERY Mac connect to the QNAP at the same IP address - like 192.168.2.3, or do you have the Macs
setup where one Mac is on Eth 5 at 192.168.2.3, one Mac is on the 6 at 192.168.3.3, etc. ? You must be connecting to the same IP address to avoid this issue. How to accomplish this - simple - a switch.

2) were you using a different network protocol to connect, and now you are using something else.? For example, were you connecting before with nfs://192.168.2.3, and now you are connecting with smb://192.168.2.3 ?

Let me know. I install QNAPs constantly, and I have not seen issues with QTS 4.3.4.0597, but I do see that people say "I changed nothing" and then I see they are using different techniques for connection, or have done things like update their macOS, etc.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Matt Wright
on Jun 27, 2018 at 2:22:29 pm

I was hoping you would reply Bob, It's good that you haven't seen issues with the latest firmware, at least I know it's something I need to fix rather than a bug.

2 Very good questions though.

Question 1: Connections

We have 2 systems connected by 10GB ethernet directly to the 2 ports on the QNAP
System 1: IP: 10.20.10.112 connecting to Eth5 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.100
System 2: IP: 10.20.10.111 connecting to Eth6 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.101

Do you think I should separate out the subnets of these 2 10GB Ethernet channels?

and another system connected by Thunderbolt 3
TB3 System: connected to NAS at IP: 10.20.20.1

The Qnap NAS is attached to our local network on Eth1 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.5.205

Re Question 2:
Interesting you should ask this, So a month or so back, our System 2 user (Who users Prem Pro on his Mac), was having issues with crashing and losing data. We were all connected by SMB3. We didn't know what to suspect, so added AFP option and connected him that way, with the other 2 systems still connected by SMB3. We have always had NFS turned off.

I know mixing NFS and other protocols was a big no, no, but wasn't sure about SMB and AFP. Do you think this will have caused us issues?.

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Matt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 27, 2018 at 3:52:39 pm

you write -
Question 1: Connections

We have 2 systems connected by 10GB ethernet directly to the 2 ports on the QNAP
System 1: IP: 10.20.10.112 connecting to Eth5 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.100
System 2: IP: 10.20.10.111 connecting to Eth6 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.101

Do you think I should separate out the subnets of these 2 10GB Ethernet channels?

REPLY -
NO - I suggested in my reply that this was your problem. I just went thru this with John Davidson at Magic Feather in LA, with his FCP X systems. He had the same issue. USE A SWITCH - connect to the same IP, and your problem will go away.

Here - I will show you how to prove this to yourself, before you spend a penny.
Connect from system 1 to 10.20.10.100. Open a library, modify it save it.
disconnect this cable from system 1, and plug it into your second Mac.
connect from system 2 to the SAME IP address - 10.20.10.100. GEE - look, it works now.

WELL - how do you get around this without buying a 10G switch ? You don't. The QNAP QXG-1208-8C is
$589 for an 8 port 10G switch. Buy it RIGHT NOW from Amazon, and your problem is over.

Re Question 2:
Interesting you should ask this, So a month or so back, our System 2 user (Who users Prem Pro on his Mac), was having issues with crashing and losing data. We were all connected by SMB3. We didn't know what to suspect, so added AFP option and connected him that way, with the other 2 systems still connected by SMB3. We have always had NFS turned off.

I know mixing NFS and other protocols was a big no, no, but wasn't sure about SMB and AFP. Do you think this will have caused us issues?.

REPLY - every variable is a problem. People think I know the answers to all these issues - and I certainly DO NOT know the answer to this. I just have people call me and say "hey, this is not working" and then I observe what they are doing, and I can then go AH HA ! Your QNAP in Network Settings MUST be set to SMB3 (not the default of
SMB 2.1 - do you know where this is). Connect all your systems via SMB and your problems will go away. OR you can not pay attention to Apple saying that AFP is being phased out, and JUST use AFP, and you will have no issues.
Let me give you an example - that editor Oliver Peters just discovered. This is not your issue, but it shows the typical insanity that happens.
Oliver called and said "the QNAP is showing ? instead of the name of the folders". I logged in, and thought "ok, it's corrupt" and I created a new folder, moved the media in QNAP File Station, and everything started to work. But it kept happening. I had no idea why. WELL - Oliver put the effort out to find out why. This is a repeatable problem that I have demonstrated to QNAP support. I don't know if this is an Apple thing, or a QNAP thing, but it's annoying, and it's avoidable. Oliver gets field drives in where they mount and work in AFP. They transfer the data into the QNAP, mount and they get a ? if they mount with SMB. So I initially said - "well, mount with AFP" -but they did not want to do that.
This is the problem that Oliver discovered, after studying the problem.
If you create the folder mounted with AFP and call the folder "Matt Wright" there will be issue when you mount
it with SMB on the QNAP. BUT - if you called the folder in AFP "Matt Wright " (do you see the blank space that is after your last name) and now mount it on the QNAP with SMB - instead of seeing Matt Wright folder, you see "?"
with no data !

Simple solution - pick a network protocol you want to use and stick with it.

If you need help, just contact me.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Matt Wright
on Jun 27, 2018 at 4:11:02 pm

Thanks Bob, Let me order up that 10GB Switch. Would you then set the QNAP as DHCP Server?

Once it's arrived I'll give you a shout privately, and hopefully, you can help me get it set up the best way.

I appreciate your help.

Matt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 27, 2018 at 4:39:31 pm

I will help you. If you are in London, you can get it from http://www.span.com

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index