FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone having issues with FCPX and QNAP Firmware 4.3.4.0597

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wright
Anyone having issues with FCPX and QNAP Firmware 4.3.4.0597
on Jun 27, 2018 at 11:50:11 am
Last Edited By Matt Wright on Jun 27, 2018 at 1:00:38 pm

Hi All. I am just trying to work out whether my issue is a general bug/issue for all QNAP users or is isolated to our set-up.

Having recently upgraded our QNAP TVS-1282TS to firmware version 4.3.4.0597, we are getting consistent errors in FCPX losing all the links to all of the source assets. It's an easy fix, just to relink everything in FCPX, But this is causing us issues in rendering, as FCPX loses links to its assets even during rendering.

We are running FCPX 10.4.3 and this happens on all 3 of our systems connected by 10GB ethernet to our QNAP NAS.

(I have rolled back the Firmware for the time being, but curious to hear of other users experiences)

Many Thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Anyone having issues with FCPX and QNAP Firmware 4.3.4.0597
on Jun 27, 2018 at 1:52:57 pm

2 suggestions -

1) are you connecting with a switch to the SAME IP address on the QNAP, or are you connecting from each Mac to a direct port, and using a separate IP address to connect to the QNAP on a different subnet for each computer.

For example - does EVERY Mac connect to the QNAP at the same IP address - like 192.168.2.3, or do you have the Macs
setup where one Mac is on Eth 5 at 192.168.2.3, one Mac is on the 6 at 192.168.3.3, etc. ? You must be connecting to the same IP address to avoid this issue. How to accomplish this - simple - a switch.

2) were you using a different network protocol to connect, and now you are using something else.? For example, were you connecting before with nfs://192.168.2.3, and now you are connecting with smb://192.168.2.3 ?

Let me know. I install QNAPs constantly, and I have not seen issues with QTS 4.3.4.0597, but I do see that people say "I changed nothing" and then I see they are using different techniques for connection, or have done things like update their macOS, etc.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Matt Wright
on Jun 27, 2018 at 2:22:29 pm

I was hoping you would reply Bob, It's good that you haven't seen issues with the latest firmware, at least I know it's something I need to fix rather than a bug.

2 Very good questions though.

Question 1: Connections

We have 2 systems connected by 10GB ethernet directly to the 2 ports on the QNAP
System 1: IP: 10.20.10.112 connecting to Eth5 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.100
System 2: IP: 10.20.10.111 connecting to Eth6 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.101

Do you think I should separate out the subnets of these 2 10GB Ethernet channels?

and another system connected by Thunderbolt 3
TB3 System: connected to NAS at IP: 10.20.20.1

The Qnap NAS is attached to our local network on Eth1 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.5.205

Re Question 2:
Interesting you should ask this, So a month or so back, our System 2 user (Who users Prem Pro on his Mac), was having issues with crashing and losing data. We were all connected by SMB3. We didn't know what to suspect, so added AFP option and connected him that way, with the other 2 systems still connected by SMB3. We have always had NFS turned off.

I know mixing NFS and other protocols was a big no, no, but wasn't sure about SMB and AFP. Do you think this will have caused us issues?.

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Matt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 27, 2018 at 3:52:39 pm

you write -
Question 1: Connections

We have 2 systems connected by 10GB ethernet directly to the 2 ports on the QNAP
System 1: IP: 10.20.10.112 connecting to Eth5 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.100
System 2: IP: 10.20.10.111 connecting to Eth6 on NAS Port IP: 10.20.10.101

Do you think I should separate out the subnets of these 2 10GB Ethernet channels?

REPLY -
NO - I suggested in my reply that this was your problem. I just went thru this with John Davidson at Magic Feather in LA, with his FCP X systems. He had the same issue. USE A SWITCH - connect to the same IP, and your problem will go away.

Here - I will show you how to prove this to yourself, before you spend a penny.
Connect from system 1 to 10.20.10.100. Open a library, modify it save it.
disconnect this cable from system 1, and plug it into your second Mac.
connect from system 2 to the SAME IP address - 10.20.10.100. GEE - look, it works now.

WELL - how do you get around this without buying a 10G switch ? You don't. The QNAP QXG-1208-8C is
$589 for an 8 port 10G switch. Buy it RIGHT NOW from Amazon, and your problem is over.

Re Question 2:
Interesting you should ask this, So a month or so back, our System 2 user (Who users Prem Pro on his Mac), was having issues with crashing and losing data. We were all connected by SMB3. We didn't know what to suspect, so added AFP option and connected him that way, with the other 2 systems still connected by SMB3. We have always had NFS turned off.

I know mixing NFS and other protocols was a big no, no, but wasn't sure about SMB and AFP. Do you think this will have caused us issues?.

REPLY - every variable is a problem. People think I know the answers to all these issues - and I certainly DO NOT know the answer to this. I just have people call me and say "hey, this is not working" and then I observe what they are doing, and I can then go AH HA ! Your QNAP in Network Settings MUST be set to SMB3 (not the default of
SMB 2.1 - do you know where this is). Connect all your systems via SMB and your problems will go away. OR you can not pay attention to Apple saying that AFP is being phased out, and JUST use AFP, and you will have no issues.
Let me give you an example - that editor Oliver Peters just discovered. This is not your issue, but it shows the typical insanity that happens.
Oliver called and said "the QNAP is showing ? instead of the name of the folders". I logged in, and thought "ok, it's corrupt" and I created a new folder, moved the media in QNAP File Station, and everything started to work. But it kept happening. I had no idea why. WELL - Oliver put the effort out to find out why. This is a repeatable problem that I have demonstrated to QNAP support. I don't know if this is an Apple thing, or a QNAP thing, but it's annoying, and it's avoidable. Oliver gets field drives in where they mount and work in AFP. They transfer the data into the QNAP, mount and they get a ? if they mount with SMB. So I initially said - "well, mount with AFP" -but they did not want to do that.
This is the problem that Oliver discovered, after studying the problem.
If you create the folder mounted with AFP and call the folder "Matt Wright" there will be issue when you mount
it with SMB on the QNAP. BUT - if you called the folder in AFP "Matt Wright " (do you see the blank space that is after your last name) and now mount it on the QNAP with SMB - instead of seeing Matt Wright folder, you see "?"
with no data !

Simple solution - pick a network protocol you want to use and stick with it.

If you need help, just contact me.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Matt Wright
on Jun 27, 2018 at 4:11:02 pm

Thanks Bob, Let me order up that 10GB Switch. Would you then set the QNAP as DHCP Server?

Once it's arrived I'll give you a shout privately, and hopefully, you can help me get it set up the best way.

I appreciate your help.

Matt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 27, 2018 at 4:39:31 pm

I will help you. If you are in London, you can get it from http://www.span.com

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Melany Villeneuve
on Jul 19, 2018 at 4:57:54 pm

We just received our brand new TVS1282 and having this kind of issues too. We have a different configuration.

1 Mac connected via Thunderbolt Bridge(System Default) Port 1 using static IP Address 169.254.10.10(Thunderbolt) QFinder 4.3.4.0644

Everything seems to work perfectly in FCPX. The speed is great.

BUT** If we Eject the Shared Storage and reconnect with the same parameters we got the «Modified File» issue. This is the same computer.

Any clues?
Bes regards,

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 19, 2018 at 6:07:00 pm

I thought you were buying something else besides QNAP.

On April 20, 2018, you wrote -
Quotes are from Lumaforge, ProMax and SNS EVO. If we go with the Qnap system, you said it will be cheaper than others but I will need your help to configure it. Righ? How much? Is it a one time config or there is maintenance every month?

I told you not to use thunderbolt bridging, and to use a 10G switch with Sonnet thunderbolt to 10G adaptors.
But you did not listen to me. Who configured your system for you ? Have you asked them about your issue ?

169.254.10.10 means that you have not configured a static IP between your thunderbolt port on your QNAP and a static IP on your Mac (thunderbolt bridging). The number you have is showing a self assigned IP. You are doing this wrong.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Melany Villeneuve
on Jul 19, 2018 at 8:37:19 pm

Hello there,

Yes it was not an easy decision but after comparing all the quotes and after viewing a couple of reviews, we were confident to buy TVS1282T3.
Nobody configure it yet. We plugged in and followed instructions. Pretty straightforward until this.

We will not using ethernet port. This thing has Thunderbolt 3 ports! We should be able to use them right! 😉

You wrote: 169.254.10.10 means that you have not configured a static IP between your thunderbolt port on your QNAP and a static IP on your Mac (thunderbolt bridging). The number you have is showing a self assigned IP.

We put this number ourselves in the Virtual Switch section > Use Static IP Address
Static IP has been made on Mac Thunderbolt Bridge too.

Best regards,
Mel :)

Return to posts index

Matt Wright
on Jul 19, 2018 at 6:16:50 pm

Hi There. We still have this problem with Firmware Version 4.3.4.0597, we haven't tested 4.3.4.0644 yet. We just rolled our system back to 4.3.4.0569 and this resolved our FCPX issues.

Hope this helps you.

Matt

Return to posts index

Melany Villeneuve
on Jul 19, 2018 at 11:05:37 pm

[Matt Wright] "We just rolled our system back to 4.3.4.0569 and this resolved our FCPX issues. "

That was it!! It works for us now on 4.3.4.0569

Basically, dont go with firmware 4.3.4.0597 NOR 4.3.4.0644 if you are using Thunderbolt.

Cheers
Mel 💋

Return to posts index

Matt Wright
on Jul 20, 2018 at 7:48:14 am

It actually doesn't matter if you are using Thunderbolt or 10GG Ethernet, The latest firmware causes us issues using either type of connection in FCPX.

Glad it's working for you now though.

Matt

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 16, 2018 at 6:17:09 pm

Hello!

I have been running into the same issue, connecting via a Sonnet Solo 10G (thanks Bob running smooth now!). I will try to roll back to 4.3.4.0569 but make sure to report this as a ticket to QNAP, so they look into it. I have just done so!

Always with regards,
Nikos

Passion and knowledge put to work
nick314.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 16, 2018 at 6:57:29 pm

Rolling back, resolved the issue. Please report to qnap so that we can be up to date on the firmware and working normally on FCPX!

Always with regards,
Nikos

nick314.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 16, 2018 at 11:47:19 pm

it's been reported by me personally. How quickly will anything be done ? I have no idea.

As for Apple and their immediate future with other apps like Adobe CC. Well - I have no one that I can directly report to. I have asked my contacts that DO have direct contact with Adobe, as to what is possibly going to happen. I have not heard anything yet. Of course, NO ONE can get direct answers about Apple (or that person at Apple will be fired).

my summary -
1) QNAP is great
2) LumaForge is great
3) Synology is great
4) NVidia is great
5) AMD GPU's - uuuum - not so great (not yet, anyway)

there is no question that FCP X is starting to catch on (and so is Davinci Resolve). I should post that on the FCP X forum. The company that appears to be sinking fast is AVID. Even in LA. But of course, that statement will anger anyone my age (because old guys LOVE AVID).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 17, 2018 at 2:01:58 pm

After rolling back, now I get this weird 'verifying image' in finder when opening FCPX libraries - obviously they are simply stored on the QNAP, not on an image. The modified file problem is gone though.

Apple have really dropped the ball quality wise, and it has started getting to me. Their ground work still gets them farther than their competition for my needs, but it is a warning sign when I start to feel more like a beta-tester than a user.

As for QNAP, great product, not so great support!

nick314.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 17, 2018 at 2:04:10 pm

By the way Bob, I bought the Sonnet Solo 10G PCI-e version for my old Mac Pro 2008 3,1. I have 'modified' it to use High Sierra via a small patch. I can't seem to get past 300 Read/Write though. I assume its the Xeon limitations. Any ideas?

nick314.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 17, 2018 at 8:15:27 pm

Hi Nick -
the Solo 10G is specifically to be used with 10.3.3 or later. Same applies to the Solo PCIe card. If you have "hacked" this to work with 10.12.6, that's your decision. I have no idea, or no interest in building an unsupported hack for a driver.

As for QNAP support, I AM YOUR QNAP SUPPORT. Exactly what are you unhappy with Nick - did you pay too much ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 17, 2018 at 9:20:31 pm

While I am jumping up and down,

if you want GREAT speeds for your 3,1 Mac Pro running 10.12.6, you could simply get this -
https://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-10GbEBase-T-Network-Adapter-G10E-2X-E3/dp/B01...

$265 US.

Nick says "but I saved $165 dollars".

Well, now you have a card that will only do 300 MB/sec instead of 900 MB/sec, you have no support from Sonnet, no support from me, AND you had to modify the driver (which no one else would be willing to do) and its STILL not working properly.

So you tell me - was this worth the $165 savings, when you could have simply purchased the proper card (the Sonnet Presto 10Gbase-T) and had ZERO aggravation, and a working product ?

And Nick - please tell me, with the "poor support" - all the support and emails I have given you - exactly how much money have you given me ? - oh , I know - ZERO dollars. I guess that's too much.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 18, 2018 at 9:43:57 am

Mark Twain once said that good manners consists in concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person. At the end of your email I see an icloud.com NOT a qnap.com, so if in your self-appointed title you represent QNAP support and you responded to me as a QNAP representative in the manner above, 'terrible' would be a dream description of QNAP's support. I'll make sure to mention it to them.

As for your 'support', your offer was to let you see if you could improve speeds, and cover your costs if you succeeded. Which clearly wasn't the case.

Regarding the forums, since you practically live here, I refer to you since we have had past communication. Don't mistake my friendliness for stupidity, so mind your manners!!...

And since we're on the subject for any other poor soul reading these forums, QNAP support delays response to tickets is almost week long and the team is not knowledgable when it's time to respond. - which was the 'terrible support' I was referring to.

And Bob, good support always takes care to read through properly, and not misread into what the other person is saying. I patched my Mac Pro 3,1 to be able to install MacOS 10.13.6 (with the DosDude patch). I haven't touched any Sonnet drivers.

I know what your problem is, but you won't get it solved by being passive-aggressive in the forums. Hopefully kids are not part of the equation, because that lack of patience will make anyone's hair go white!!...

nick314.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]