FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP NAS Upgrade to 10Gig Ethernet with Sonnet Solo 10-G and Bob Zellin - 1072 MB/sec reads post upgrade

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Lumpkin
QNAP NAS Upgrade to 10Gig Ethernet with Sonnet Solo 10-G and Bob Zellin - 1072 MB/sec reads post upgrade
on May 23, 2018 at 3:16:35 pm

We just completed a reconfiguration of our QNAP NAS with the help of Bob Zellin using Sonnet's Solo10-G part ($199) with our 2017 Imac. The old configuration was a TB2 connection to the NAS and the performance was not very good - -OK for HD but not for 4K. After discussing the situation with Bob Zellin and looking at the performance uptick we could expect we did a full scape, reconfig and restore of the NAS all in one day. After making double backups and installing two more drives, Bob drove the process remotely in about 90 minutes. The attached screen print shows the read/write performance using AJA's performance tool - - 786 MB/sec WRITE and 1072MB/sec READ times. This thing screams now when editing in FCP all for the cost of a part and some time with Bob on the phone. This is a no BS case study of how you can get the most out of your QNAP NAS using the 10G ethernet port instead of TB2 on the NAS. Remarkable results. With these kinds of read times I could be editing 4-6 Red 8K streams at the same time - but that is not happening in what I do. Big shout out to Bob Zellin for showing me the light!

Steve Lumpkin
http://www.endlesstreasuresofbotswana.com

Return to posts index

Olivier Jean
Re: QNAP NAS Upgrade to 10Gig Ethernet with Sonnet Solo 10-G and Bob Zellin - 1072 MB/sec reads post upgrade
on May 30, 2018 at 8:17:12 pm

HI Steve,

Thank you for sharing your experience, may i ask what is the model number of the QNAP you are using
and if you did have the chassis fully populated with drives?
Are you editing workstations direct connected to the shared storage or are you using a 10GbE
Ethernet switch, and if so which one.

Bob rocks !!

Regards

Regards
Olivier Jean
Video Sales Consultant
Apple Certified Trainer Final Cut Pro 7
Digistor
Sydney Australia

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: QNAP NAS Upgrade to 10Gig Ethernet with Sonnet Solo 10-G and Bob Zellin - 1072 MB/sec reads post upgrade
on May 31, 2018 at 12:33:25 pm

Steve is on a TVS-873e with a QNAP QXG-10G1T 10G card, connected directly to his computer. No switch.
If he was using a switch he would get the same results.
Yes, the RAID array is fully populated.
For a small system, you can use
a QNAP QSW-1208-8C switch (under $600) or a Netgear XS708T (about $819). There are additional small unmanaged Netgear switches that work but I don't recall the numbers right now. Off to Cinegear in LA.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Lumpkin
on Jun 3, 2018 at 5:04:40 pm

HI OJ...I am using the Sonnet Solo 10G directly attached to the 2017 Imac T3 port into the QNAP's 10G ethernet port...all drives are in a QNAP TVS882T (6TB x 6 HGST drives and 1TBx2 SSD's from Macsales.com for the cache). This is a screamer...it totally unlocks 4k editing in FCP on the Imac...game changing...my edit productivity is up more than 30%...cannot say enough how important this small upgrade was (a $199 USD part and some of Bob's time)...Boom!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]