FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacOS Server on 2015 MacBook Pro with G-Technology RAID drive and Thunderbolt 2 attached to router

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Notowitz
MacOS Server on 2015 MacBook Pro with G-Technology RAID drive and Thunderbolt 2 attached to router
on Apr 29, 2018 at 8:59:07 am

Dear friends,
Currently I have 3 Macs connected via ethernet and wireless to a router attached to a NetGear ReadyNAS, but it's annoying because I can't use search, and managing backups is cumbersome. I'd rather search using Spotlight and backup using Time Machine (or a backup UI as simple as Time Machine).

We don't edit anything higher than 4K.

I'm considering buying a G-Speed Shuttle XL Thunderbolt 2 and hooking it up to a 2015 MacBook Pro running MacOS Server.
Is this a good idea?
Thanks,
David

NCAVF, The National Center for Audio and Video Forensics
http://www.NCAVF.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: MacOS Server on 2015 MacBook Pro with G-Technology RAID drive and Thunderbolt 2 attached to router
on Apr 29, 2018 at 2:49:26 pm

Dear David -
you want this to be easy. You just want to plug in your G-Tech Shuttle XL, and have it be a shared storage system for 3 computers. That's not going to happen, because Apple screwed up High Sierra Server. I have been building macOS (OS X) Servers since 2008, and since the release in December, this no longer works (of course, you can get a copy of macOS Sierra 10.12.6, Server and it will work fine.

And of course, Spotlight search will work fine. Spotlight search does not work fine over other networks (I think Lumaforge has Spotlight working). You can certainly index a network volume with terminal commands, but when you add media to the shared volume, you will have to index again. On a Mac volume, spotlight just works (over AFP) but like I said, Apple ruined macOS Server in this latest release.

As for your Netgear ReadyNAS, the setup procedure is the same for any NAS or shared storage product, and you are probably not following the rules. You should have 8 drives minimum stripped together in a RAID group. You should have a 10G port on the NAS (and Netgear absolutely sells NAS systems with dual 10G ports). This should go to a 10G switch, and all the client computers should be plugged into this 10G switch on an isolated network with static IP addresses. You can use countless programs like Chronosync, Good Sync, Carbon Copy cloner, etc. to backup, in addition to the free backup software that is supplied by every NAS manufacturer like Netgear, Synology and QNAP. "why can't I just use the stuff Apple gives me" - stop being a baby. Go complain to Apple. And while you are complaining to them, find out why they killed the macOS Server product after all this time.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

David Notowitz
Re: MacOS Server on 2015 MacBook Pro with G-Technology RAID drive and Thunderbolt 2 attached to router
on Apr 30, 2018 at 3:35:55 am

Thank you for your detailed answer! I’ll plan to contact Apple to inquire about MacOS Server. Is there any alternative software to allow me to run my set up similarly?

NCAVF, The National Center for Audio and Video Forensics
http://www.NCAVF.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 30, 2018 at 11:49:28 am

Hi David -
contact Apple ? There is no one at Apple to contact. You will find that Apple has moved the file share functions into the operating system itself of macOS High Sierra, and it now works very poorly, compared to every previous version that was in the macOS Server software. Why did they do this ? I have no idea. You can see for yourself. Plug in multiple computers to a switch, choose one of the computers, create a folder, and stick a file in it, and turn on File Sharing in System Preferences> Sharing. Mount the drive, and modify the file. Now go to another computer, and do the same. Watch what happens. It's beyond me why Apple ruined this simple function, that worked flawlessly for years.

So what to do now ? You already started in the right direction - you own a Netgear ReadyNAS - but you probably have the wrong one. Any of the NAS boxes that are PROFESSIONAL (minimum 8 drives, 10G port, and you use a 10G switch, not the 4 ports on your wireless router) will work. Anything from Netgear, Synology, and QNAP will work, IF you buy the correct product, and hook it up correctly.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 30, 2018 at 11:51:33 am

https://www.cdw.com/product/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-4312X-10GigE-2U-12-Bay-Diskles...

the Netgear ReadyNAS 4312X is the "correct" ReadyNAS product. Of course, you can find cheaper solutions with the same features from QNAP and Synology.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]