FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP TVS-1282T3 RAID Levels and Performance

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Kubicki
QNAP TVS-1282T3 RAID Levels and Performance
on Apr 26, 2018 at 12:54:25 am

Hello Folks,
For those of you that have used or are using the QNAP TVS-1282T3 for shared video storage I am curious what RAID you all are using and what performance you are getting with that flavor of RAID. I have a client that wants the most storage available with the drives they have chosen so I have configured it with RAID 5 and on a 2012 Macbook Pro using Promise SANLINK I am getting about 375MB read and write.
Before I try a different RAID mode for testing I thought I would ask all you fine folks here first.

Cheers,
Jason

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: QNAP TVS-1282T3 RAID Levels and Performance
on Apr 26, 2018 at 1:10:46 pm

Hi Jason -
with a 10G adaptor, I create a static volume - not a thick volume, and I do either RAID 5 for single drive protection, or RAID 6 for dual drive failure protection. It's up to the customer how much they want to lose in the setup (and possible failure).

375 MB/sec is very low. Did you disable SMB signing ? A Promise SanLink2 will do about 800 MB/sec Write/Read and a Promise SanLink3 will do about 350 MB/sec WRITE and 1000 MB/sec READ on the TVS-1282T.

RAID 5 will work fine for you, if you are ok with only having protection for one drive to fail.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jason Kubicki
Re: QNAP TVS-1282T3 RAID Levels and Performance
on Apr 30, 2018 at 4:46:50 pm

Hello Bob,
Thank you for the reply, yes all this is they way I have it.
Email you...

Cheers,
Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]