FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Editing Set-Up - Corporate Construction Videography

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Tucker
Video Editing Set-Up - Corporate Construction Videography
on Apr 3, 2018 at 2:55:52 pm

I want to open up informing readers that I am in the lower or medium levels of tech savvy. I want to get advice on what sort of Store and Working system to get for editing video. I will give a brief overview and then I will be open to options.

I work in a Construction Company that has a variety of construction divisions. I travel to various job sites and record footage and then bring it back to HQ where I copy everything over to an External Drive and then back-up to a server. By my mistake, I did not mirror the server to look exactly like the hard drives I work off of (Seagate 3- 3TB hard drives). We have a fairly large IT team that mediates the servers and I assume they are all set-up properly and redundant. Our footage is primarily HD but hoping to upgrade to 4k soon. I also use After Effects and create titles and animations based on that projects needs.

I work off of an iMac running OS Sierra V10.12.6. It's a Late 2015 version. 4GHz Intel Core i7 Processor and 32 GB of memory. AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB graphics card.
My biggest fear is that one of these days, one of the 3TB will not turn on. I'm just looking for options and advice within the circumstances that I am in. My plan is to work with our IT team to get a system. So if you think NAS or RAID or just External drives will do, please state some info I can give to them. I am looking for something fast that I can work off of and something that is scaleable because we keep getting more and more video.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Video Editing Set-Up - Corporate Construction Videography
on Apr 3, 2018 at 3:34:22 pm

you have not stated how many users need to access this information for editing.
If it's just you and your iMac, just get a RAID array from one of the countless companies that make them for thunderbolt RAIDs - like G-Tech, Promise, Maxx Digital, Cal Digit, Other World Computing.

If multiple people need to access this media for editing, you get a network attached storage product that has 10G capability (and 10G adaptors for your iMac). Companies like QNAP, Netgear and Synology make low cost units that will work well for you. There are more expensive solutions that are also excellent from LumaForge, Studio Network Solutions, Facilis, EditShare, GB Labs, etc. that will all do the job - all for more money.

As long as they don't try to make you edit off their Windows servers !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
on Apr 3, 2018 at 3:40:05 pm

Thank you Bob, this is very helpful! I didn't even take into consideration who would be working off of it. For now, it is only me that would be working from it but I'm unsure if they intend to expand the marketing group with another videographer. The capability to work from home would be a plus but rarely do I ever need to so it is only one of those extra add-ons. So RAID array may be the direction to go in.

I truly appreciate your reply! I just can't seem to grasp the Abbreviations in tech and that is where most of my confusion comes from.

Return to posts index

Matt Stone
on Apr 3, 2018 at 5:00:01 pm

Hi Andrew,

I can send competitive pricing on any of these options. Send me an email when you get a chance.

mattstone@maxxdigital.com

Talk soon,
Matt

Matt Stone
Maxx Entertainment Digital
3189 Redhill Ave. Unit B
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Telephone:(714) 374-4944
mattstone@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved