FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expanding Volume On A Raid 1+0 By Adding 2 New Drives?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Grixti
Expanding Volume On A Raid 1+0 By Adding 2 New Drives?
on Jan 17, 2018 at 3:27:43 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Grixti on Jan 17, 2018 at 3:50:17 pm

Hello all!

I am trying to figure our a good backup solution for my small production company and it seems that a NAS system is going to suit us best.

Ideally I want to be able to buy an 8-bay or 12-bay enclosure, fill it with 2 x 10TB drives as a RAID 1+0, and then once they are nearly full, add two more 10TB drives and expand the volume.

This would mean we could expand as we go and that there would only be one volume when we plug into the NAS at the office.

Is this even possible? Would appreciate your wisdom on this one, guys.

Many thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Expanding Volume On A Raid 1+0 By Adding 2 New Drives?
on Jan 17, 2018 at 4:15:48 pm

Hi -
you buy a NAS, load it with drives (8, 12 or 16), create a static volume, and make it RAID 6. (some newer systems allow for RAID 60). I would never do RAID 1+0. To create an expandable volume, you need to make a "thick volume" which is a storage pool. Again, I never do this. I need performance to be able to do 4K, 6K and 8K editing for multiple users. And I need to plan for failure, so if I add another chassis, I don't care it expands to the same "MediaRAID" - it's ok if it's another volume that mounts. As long as if I have a power supply failure on a chassis, my entire system does not go down. Reliability is much more important than convenience.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]