FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consulting for new workstations, server (or NAS), network, etc - Seattle

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Kenney
Consulting for new workstations, server (or NAS), network, etc - Seattle
on Jan 15, 2018 at 6:52:11 pm

I do general IT for a (currently) all Mac video editing shop of about 5-10 people. They use Mac Pros, and connect to a Mac Mini with a TB raid shared over a 10Gbit network, as well as a pile of thunderbolt 2 drives direct connected to the workstations. Premiere, After Effects, and C4D.

They're growing, and are at the limit of what their equipment can do, and are in need of a new storage solution, likely new workstations (probably PC), and maybe something to help speed up rendering. Their time frame is staggered out through the next months.

I don't have the knowledge about video and video workflows to recommend a correct solution or set of equipment for them, so I am looking for a consultant that can work with them, talk about workflow and such, and recommend and help install a full setup, as I want to make sure the equipment they get will properly meet their needs.
(Due to how I'm contracted and the other work I do, I don't have the time to dig in and really learn what I feel would be enough about video to recommend a system from scratch)

They're in Seattle, someone local would be amazing, but they are willing to work over the phone/facetime/whatever if I can find someone who is willing to help remotely too.

I'm already aware of Small Tree, 1303 Systems, Bob Zelin, and SNS, and am planning on reaching out to them directly. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Consulting for new workstations, server (or NAS), network, etc - Seattle
on Jan 15, 2018 at 7:43:32 pm

Small Tree - excellent
Studio Network Solutions - excellent -
Bob Zelin - (well .....)
but WHO is 1303 Systems? Never even heard their name mentioned ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chuck Kenney
on Jan 15, 2018 at 7:45:28 pm

Its possible I typo-ed 1303, I'll double check my list.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 15, 2018 at 7:47:48 pm

I just looked them up. They will try to convince you to buy a Quantum/StorNext system.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Jan 17, 2018 at 3:23:17 pm

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for posting, sounds like you're looking in a lot of the right area's. All of the options you mentioned are good ones, Bob knows his stuff and from my understanding is mostly recommending QNAP. 1303 is a reseller out of Colorado, and to Bob's point, yes, they mostly do Quantum which is almost assuredly a direction you don't want to go. SNS is a good option, and Small Tree is a good option; they both make their own servers (which differs from Bob/1303) and have both been doing this a long time with a lot of happy clients.

Product-wise, the common ones that you are missing are EditShare, ProMAX & Facilis.

With the set up they currently have, I'd recommend checking out ProMAX Platform, as you mentioned both Thunderbolt storage, as well as Ae/C4D rendering. The Platform allows you to connect their existing thunderbolt RAID and use that as part of the shared network, no different than if it were built in storage. The Platform also allows you to offload Ae/C4D renders to the server itself. I'm pretty sure both of these are unique to ProMAX and tend to be well liked features. That said, I do work at ProMAX so I am partial 😉

Good luck in your search!

Nathaniel Cooper

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]