FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spotlight indexing on QNAP TVS-1282T3 without iSCSI?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Spotlight indexing on QNAP TVS-1282T3 without iSCSI?
on Dec 21, 2017 at 1:57:39 pm

I have ordered a QNAP TVS-1282T3 system for the heavy lifting for all our prores/red 6K video projects. I understand that using SMB spotlight indexing will not work (off the bat). Also, forcing indexing on the share will (probably?) keep a separate index for each user and will need a script to reindex every so on.

Is there a way to set QNAP to create a spotlight compatible index by itself, so that it's searchable from any system connecting to it? One connection will be T3 and the other 10 GBe from a Macbook Pro 2017 and a Mac Pro 3,1 respectively.

Also want to avoid iSCSI connections, because we want this scalable and expandable for the near future.

Any pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

Always with regards!
Nikos

Passion and knowledge put to work
nick314.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Spotlight indexing on QNAP TVS-1282T3 without iSCSI?
on Dec 21, 2017 at 6:36:18 pm

you have partially answered the question yourself. You can index the external drive (the QNAP) and Spotlight will work, but as you add new material, you will need to re index the drive. Spotlight was designed for AFP and Mac local networks that connect with AFP to a MacOS Server (which in 10.13 no longer works).

So if indexing is unacceptable, you can simply use the free QSirch application on the QNAP from the QNAP App Center (free). But to search, you have to open the QNAP GUI, and open QSirch and search that way. You don't get to hit the magnifying glass on the Mac. Every computer on your network will be able to access the QNAP GUI just using Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

iSCSI - no no - you don't need iSCSI for anything. This is 2017.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 22, 2017 at 11:23:58 pm

Bob thank you!

My main question was, not being familiar with the Qnap interface yet, if there’s an app on the Qnap side that would handle this automatically ? I presume writing a script is the only way to go for now.

I did stumble onto this article, even though it is not refering to a qnap device, and it suggested that automatic indexing takes place. Have you had such an experience?

https://care.qumulo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008514788-Mac-OS-X-Spotlight-S...

Passion and knowledge put to work
nick314.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2017 at 3:13:45 pm

no - it's not slick like Spotlight. Spotlight (right there on your user interface of your Mac computer on the upper right hand corner) only works with AFP connections. If you want to use Spotlight you have to index the drive, but when you add new media, reindex the drive (if this is a network volume). Spotlight only works with AFP, and only with Apple volumes - not the famous shared storage systems that you are familiar with (including the QNAP) unless you manually index the drive.

So no, with QNAP, you have to open Safari (or Chrome, or Firefox), enter the IP of the QNAP, get into the QNAP GUI, and launch Qsirch, which is their little app, that allows you to do a "spotlight search" on the QNAP. But unfortunately, it's not a little icon that you can drag onto your Mac desktop, and use it at a moment's notice.

And just remember, Spotlight is for AFP - and Apple is quickly making AFP disappear. You may say "but I really need this". That's like saying you really need Quicktime Pro. Apple doesn't care. They do what they want.

this is the command in terminal to index your drives for spotlight
mdutil -a -i on /Volumes/Name of Share

If you need help with the QNAP when you get it contact me directly.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Dec 29, 2017 at 7:47:40 pm

An option for keeping a coherent index of the volume may be NeoFinder. http://www.cdfinder.de

I use it for cataloging DVD and BluRay disks, but it can be used on mounted volumes. The database can be put on the network and everyone can read from it. I've not tried, but I think there may be utilities to reindex.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]