FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any thoughts on the Qnap TS-453BT3-8G-US 4-bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Steve Miller
Any thoughts on the Qnap TS-453BT3-8G-US 4-bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS
on Nov 18, 2017 at 4:03:52 am

Looking to get this NAS for home. Any issues/problems to be aware of?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
Re: Any thoughts on the Qnap TS-453BT3-8G-US 4-bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS
on Nov 18, 2017 at 6:59:17 am

I bought a QNAP TS-531X on sale a few months ago and attempted to set it up for my edit system. I went into it knowing it wasn't the best choice. I bought it mainly to learn more about the QNAP produce range and to see if I could make it work for my needs. My take away is that my particular box doesn't have the throughput to be a great for editing, but I see why Bob Zelin is raving about these things. The Thunderbolt box looks to have decent throughput. You say it's for home, but didn't say the purpose. You could probably run a couple of system off the one box I bet, as it's probably much faster than the one I have.

My QNAP, while not super fast, is more reliable than the ESATA RAID 50 I attempted to build myself. ☺ My plan was this; If my QNAP box didn't work for my projects, I would make it my home NAS on the network. I still may eventually do that, but I also now have more confidence in the QNAP product.

If I ever move to a Mac that has Thunderbolt, I would probably seriously look at something like the TS-453BT3.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 18, 2017 at 8:08:05 pm

Just like Scott said - you did not state your application.
Want to keep movies, music and photos on it. Want to edit with a single computer, particularly MP4 or h264 files - sure this is fine.
The TS-453 is NOT a shared storage system for professional video editing. QNAP makes tons of products that can do exactly that, but the TS-453 (and TS-531X) are not those products. Your starting product for pro video editing is the
TVS-871T, and it goes up from there (for not much more money). Bottom line - QNAP, Synology, Netgear ReadyNAS - if you don't have 8 spinning platters, you are not going to do shared 4K video editing.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Gary Taylor
on Dec 4, 2017 at 2:57:34 am

Hi Bob,

What are your thoughts on using the QNAP's TX-800P expansion enclosure with the TS-453BT3-8G-US? That would give the unit a total of 12 drives with one expansion unit with the option for more with up to 5 additional units daisy-chained.

How do you think that 12 bay configuration would perform? I am considering a RAID 6+1 configuration with large hard drives and I am concerned the Celeron processor might not be able to keep up.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 4, 2017 at 4:17:22 pm

Simple answer - I never tried it.
It would certainly be cheaper to buy the correct box (TVS-871T, TVS-1282T, TS-1685). And the new TS-1277 is about to come out with the Ryzen processors.

I use the TX-800P for expansion to the TVS-1282T and TVS-871T, and it works great via thunderbolt expansion. You get the full speed on the expanders. Because I am not a fan of thunderbolt 3 connection to your computer (are you really going to be 2 meters maximum away from your TS-453BT3) - and always recommend the 10G connection, I feel the other units are a better value, and a better decision. Will the TS-453BT3 work with the TX-800P as a thick volume storage pool and be fast enough ? I don't know. I never tried it.

If you want a 12 bay, simply buy the TS-1685. Its under 3 grand, and it comes with the 10G ports. It will be fast enough for 6K and 8K editing, if its setup correctly. I would do a RAID 6, not a +1 . I hate hot spares. There is a speaker in the TS-1685 that will speak to you when a drive fails, and of course, flashing lights, and email notifications.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]